Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do you eat the sunflower seed shells?
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: March 06, 2011 11:50PM

I did a search on this & found about 1/2 eat the shells & 1/2 spit them out. I was going to make some raw cookie bars using sunflower seeds & am planning on grinding them up to a course powder.

Sound okay to everyone?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2011 11:52PM by juicerkatz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you eat the sunflower seed shells?
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: March 07, 2011 12:00AM

dont the shells have some kind of enzyme or something on them meant to reduce their digestibility so when animals eat them they get @#$%& out and "planted" elsewhere? im not sure if this is the case, but I thought it was...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: March 07, 2011 12:19AM

I don't know the answer but I surmise that ground to a powder would be fine in a recipe. I wonder how it will affect the taste.

Date: March 07, 2011 12:40AM

I think the taste will probably be masked by dates, coconut or other stuff that we decide to throw in, lol.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 07, 2011 04:29AM

i read once in a cockatiel rearing book that small caged birds had acutally died of starvation because their owners thought their little dishes were quite full ... but without looking to see, they were just full of sunflower husks in them ... so im guessing the birds avoided them as they would be devoid of anything ..to the point of keeling over

now before anyone gets their feathers in a ruffle .. no im not comparing us to birds grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: March 07, 2011 01:03PM

You mean the outer black and white hull? or do you mean the thin inner light tan membrane that comes off when you sprout them? I wouldn't eat the outer shell, unless it was the very last source of nutrition on earth.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: March 07, 2011 02:49PM

Ewww.
Too woody.

Vinny

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 07, 2011 03:07PM

Why would you want to eat something so completely indigestable? Even ground up fine, that is not healthy. That's like blending wheatgrass and drinking it fiber and all. Not recommended.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 07, 2011 04:32PM

No. Just as I would not eat a walnut shell. Perhaps we are misunderstanding what you mean by "shell"?

Date: March 08, 2011 12:22AM

From the other sites I am reading they say to chew the shell up well before swallowing. Supposedly the extra fiber is good for you. I don't know all the details, and it seems many on the other sites don't either.

Maybe it is just a case of being to lazy to hull them first, as they are a pain to break open, esp. if you plan on using many in a recipe.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 08, 2011 01:01AM

Extra fiber... that's like eating the cardboard package for extra fiber. Weird.

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: March 08, 2011 03:22AM

Jgunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i read once in a cockatiel rearing book that small
> caged birds had acutally died of starvation
> because their owners thought their little dishes
> were quite full ... but without looking to see,
> they were just full of sunflower husks in them
> ... so im guessing the birds avoided them as they
> would be devoid of anything ..to the point of
> keeling over
>
> now before anyone gets their feathers in a ruffle
> .. no im not comparing us to birds grinning smiley

Made that mistake when I was a kid... turns out they were millet shells/husks and sunflower shells. She kept squacking/yelling at me. I thought it was just being picky and avoiding the healthy stuff. Um yeah.. came home to a dead bird the day I planned on buying more food.

I have had other birds along with rodents since.. they do not eat the shells. Watch some birds and squirrels with a feeder.. they sit there cracking them open too.

Not comparing us to birds and rodents too..but come on I think if every other species avoids eating these..and they have the teeth to actually crunch and crack them in half..why should we eat them? LOL

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 08, 2011 04:01AM

yea thats what im saying smiling smiley i watch the squirrels here ... smack an crack open walnuts and filbert/hazelnuts leving the shells behind .. maybe their on to something winking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 08, 2011 03:44PM

jk,

It's not fiber you can use. Please don't eat the shells.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: March 08, 2011 06:44PM

I imagine that the shells would either cause a blockage, or make tears in the g.i. tract. The only possible way to get around that might be to ferment the shells, or perhaps boil them for an extended period of time to soften them.

I saw a program about North korea a few years back. They were so desperate for food they got rations of 'substitute food', made from straw, wood chips etc. I would say sunflowers are not real food either. your not that desperate for food are you? Eating such things, especially in large amounts don't do good things to a human.

Date: March 08, 2011 11:36PM

Well,

It's settled then - the general feeling on here is not to do it. Although they would be ground to a powder & would most likely cause no problems, I imagine the taste would be "off", as prev. mentioned.

On other forums, many do eat the hulls as well...

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 09, 2011 01:19AM

Okay, I know this will garner more than a few "EWs!" but I have eaten those roasted and salted peanuts in their shells.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: March 09, 2011 01:47AM

I wouldnt say "ew" but be like DX you have tough teethtongue sticking out smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables