Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

vinegar
Posted by: m ()
Date: September 18, 2006 10:14PM

i love fermented foods....saurkraut (raw fermented with lemon juice only), raw vinegars, raw kombucha, nutritional flakes, etc.

is there an issue with eating these feeds? i've heard people say they "stay away" from vinegar. what i've read is that vinegar aids in mineral absorption (due to it's acidic nature) and is full of probiotics which is beneficial for digestive health. are there any negatives to taking in vinegar/ferments?

thanks for any input.

peace!
m.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: vinegar
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 19, 2006 09:01AM

Posted by: m ()
Date: September 19, 2006 10:29PM

thank you!

peace!
m.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 20, 2006 05:36AM

Fermented foods are a fine transitional raw food. Compared to eating a hamburger, fries, and a coke, eating raw saurkraut or raw kimchee is pretty healthy. Compared to eating a whole ripe fresh organic apple, the fermented foods come up short.

If you are enjoying fermented foods and you feel good, there is no reason to quit these foods at this time. What happens to many 100% long term raw foodists is at some point, their taste for fermented foods just disappears. They didn't have to force themselves to quit, but their body just said "No, I don't want that anymore".

If you have been 100% raw for some time, and you have symptoms or continuous detox, you might want to look at eliminating fermented foods for 3 months and see how that feels. If you are experiencing the following symptoms, you might want to consider looking at removing the fermented foods:
- Unable to get over salt addiction
- your body feels acidic
- your food doesn't digest well when eating fermented

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 20, 2006 06:49AM

Bryan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fermented foods are a fine transitional raw food.
> Compared to eating a hamburger, fries, and a coke,
> eating raw saurkraut or raw kimchee is pretty
> healthy. Compared to eating a whole ripe fresh
> organic apple, the fermented foods come up short.

How so? Kimchee has been shown to cure bird flu, can you say the same about an apple a day?

[news.bbc.co.uk]

I love fermented foods. The only thing that turns me away is the price. However, now that fall is coming up (my kitchen will be below 72 degrees) I can make a gallon of kim-chee from fresh farmer's market vegetables for about $8 a gallon. smiling smiley

Posted by: avanahall ()
Date: September 20, 2006 09:21AM

Since you brought up Vinager - here is my question.

I live in NC and during spring the allergies are horrable - everyone gets sinus infections from the trees and plants.

Last year I finally found a great natural way to get rid od hayfeaver and the sinus issue and that was 2 tbs of organic apple cider viniger a day with water - it worked incredibly!

do you think Lemon could do the same thing?

Posted by: monochromatism ()
Date: September 21, 2006 02:53AM

I also personally enjoy vinegar, pickles, etc. I went to the link (rawfoodexplained.com), and I have to say that I'm not totally convinced by the argument. I know that too much salt is bad, but I don't think that it's as bad as this person makes it out to be.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 21, 2006 03:34AM

Narz,

An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

That seems much more potent than kimchee vs bird flu.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables