Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

how important are Grains?
Posted by: Delta223 ()
Date: March 14, 2011 06:00AM

I noticed that with my current focus on fruits and vegetables, I really don't eat grains anymore because I just don't have the room for it in my diet. Do you guys think that grains are necessary, or can they be skipped?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how important are Grains?
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 14, 2011 07:22AM

My experience says they are not necessary. But I am getting my carbohydrates from sweet fruit. Perhaps if a person is unable to eat sweet fruits, they might be able to get some carbohydrates from grains.

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: March 14, 2011 08:00AM

I have often wondered... in the wild open plains, how long it would take to find and gather enough seeds for a bowl of oatmeal.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: March 14, 2011 08:26AM

Most of them cannot be eaten in their natural state, they need to be cooked or sprouted before eating. Avocado and carrot be eaten raw, not rice. If you were very hungry and found some rice, you can't just rush and eat it, you have to wait, cook it, have it prepared, is that natural?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2011 08:32AM by madinah.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: March 14, 2011 08:35AM

well if you where in an oat field, about a minutetongue sticking out smiley if you are in a field, and only looking for oats, but it is not an oat field...that is not an intelligent place to be looking for oats...people would most likely just go for whatever grain happened to be growing there...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: ron ()
Date: March 14, 2011 06:23PM

The only grain to be consumed would be sprouted grain because once sprouted it becomes alkaline and not acid. The human body today gets way to much acid and not enough alkaline and that has created all kinds of disease in the population mostly chronic degenerative disease like diabetes, cancer,arthritis,osteoposis, lupus and many others. I certainly would not put any wheat products into my body knowing what is done to wheat and the havoc it causes.

Posted by: trox ()
Date: March 14, 2011 06:41PM

How does Quinoa fit into the picture? I myself am not eating grains...but I have heard many raw food coaches suggest quinoa as a transition food for individuals wanting to go raw.

Ron? Any thoughts?

Good Vibrations,
Trox

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 14, 2011 06:43PM

Quinoa is often looked upon as a good choice. It's gluten-free and you can also sprout it and use it in a salad. I tried and didn't have great results but perhaps I didn't sprout it properly...

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: March 14, 2011 06:58PM

THeSt0rm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and
> that's why many ancient civilizations relied on
> them.
>

For beer. Soldiers were paid in beer. The builders of the pyramids were paid in beer. Sailors stored beer instead of water. It's all about the beer.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 14, 2011 09:08PM

BEER! Well, that explains a few things about soldiers and sailors than, doesn't it? Construction workers too I suppose.

Anyhoo, the wheat fields out at our cottage are a ready source of fresh ripe grain by mid summer when you can indeed eat them right off the plant. Not sure really how much you'd be able to eat at once though, they are pasty and gluey not very tasty.

Date: March 14, 2011 09:26PM

But corn is not really a grain like other grains, it's pretty unique.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: March 14, 2011 10:49PM

Is corn a healthy choice, at leat it can be eaten raw

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: March 19, 2011 04:18PM

I have been 100% grain free since the first day of 2011 and in these past few months I have never been healthier. Even rice was triggering my candida overgrowth and leaky gut symptoms and making me sicker. Plus grains seem to make me very acidic. I have tried sprouting grains like quinoa and still gotten a stomach ache from them. The no grain diet leaves me energetic and very lightweight!

Date: March 19, 2011 04:20PM

Quinoa is not a grain, it's a seed. Just FYI.

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: March 19, 2011 04:40PM

Ah, I didn't know that. Must just be something about it that doesn't agree with me.

Date: March 19, 2011 07:22PM

Grains cannot be eaten raw. They were not for humans.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 19, 2011 07:32PM

madinah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Grains cannot be eaten raw. They were not for
> humans.

Although i agree and i am not a fan of grains and there overuse in the standard diet is the downfall of many health problems.

Didn't humans also cook several foods via fire. That whole theory i don't really understand, we are thousands of years on and live different lives than those back then. Humans back then didn't use the internet but we do now etc, they didn't brush there teeth but we do now and so on.

I just don't like that whole evolution or monkeys, rats do this so why don't we follow them.

Date: March 19, 2011 07:41PM

Didn't we just have this conversation? I thought we did...
You can eat a lot of grains right off the plant but not if you dry them, then they become too hard. Most grains can be eaten raw if sprouted though only some are tasty.

Date: March 19, 2011 07:53PM

In the history of humans grains were eaten for SURVIVAL not necessarily for health. Foods needed to be preserved against the elements. Now with the technology we have and warm shelters survival is given and we strive for health, so grains are no longer needed.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: March 19, 2011 09:08PM

when i eat grains it makes me sleepy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables