Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

detoxing everything...relationship, pot, alcohol, help
Posted by: sugarmagnolia ()
Date: March 15, 2011 02:32AM

I have been doing mostly raw foods for the past two-3 weeks. I last smoked pot 2 weeks ago and last drank a glass of wine 2 weeks ago. I also moved away frmo a loved one/ending a relationsip/ended/its over- and am so sad and really struggling. I am trying to purify my life.

Dont get me wrong I think pot is fine for some people but I just finished smoking most days for the last two years- and some days it was a lot. And I drank on top of it. Not a ton. I have never really had a problem w. alcohol. i just realized i wanted to clean out my body for health, spiritual, and ethical reasons- choose different food. so i went raw. So many changes in such a short time. I have been trying to relax, workout, eat well, meditate, built a garden, went to yoga. I know I am growing- sometimes or days or parts of days i feel great and other days - when I talk to him I just burst into tears. I know I have grief. He is a heavy pot user and I am trying to detox addicts from my life. I only know like 2 people completely sober! I mean that in a strict sense- but i realized i date addicts- and i can numb out w. them and never have such a "problem" as they do. i am so lonely. new town.

I just need to vent. I need support. esp. w. raw food. its such a transition and the learning curve of preperation ,etc I am just so tired. I lost weight too.

I just totally had a meltdown and ended up eating cooked unhealthy processed crap.

Mainly I am so sad. I dont know how to get over him. I love him so much- but was no longer growing in the relationship. please support only no mean comments. i am too tired for all that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: detoxing everything...relationship, pot, alcohol, help
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 15, 2011 02:45AM

Welcome to the forum sugarmagnolia. We are here to support your raw food journey.

Whether you are in the happiest of times, or the saddest of times, there is one thing that holds true - "This too shall pass".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2011 05:10AM by Prana.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 15, 2011 04:39AM

welcome here Supermagnolia ! grinning smiley i used to drink and smoke pot and do all sorts of other drugs recreational, and prescription. All the things you are trying (relax, workout, eat well, meditate, built a garden, went to yoga) are all SUPER ways to get to your goals of TOTAL health.

I really love doing tai chi ..partly for the exercise, partly for the spiritual aspect .. adn the folks are really great in my tai chi community smiling smiley its sucha focus practice and yet un-focus .. really its all about clearing the mind and being in the moment .. i love it !

i cant tell you how to get over someone or put them behind you ... just lead by example . maybe he will join you on your journey sometime .. maybe not .. irregardleess you will be a better person for it all

and if you want to cry .. then cry .. then carry on smiling smiley

*super hugs to you* been there done that ..got the scars to prove it but shining on the other side now .. well today anyways smiling smiley

just take things one day at a time smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: March 15, 2011 03:49PM

Welcome!
I really relate to your situation.
I have been through the same struggles.
Being crushed at the end of a relationship,trying to get alcohol out of my life,etc.
Many of my posts on this site are evidence of that.

My best advice is to throw yourself into the raw foods,exercise,meditating,spiritual stuff as much as you are able to.All those things are so totally opposite of the bad stuff,and eventually they will win over and you will find peace.

Vinny

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 15, 2011 04:03PM

Hi, Sugarmagnoliasmiling smiley

I can totally relate to you! And I think it is really great that you saw the relationship as contributing to the addictions. In AA they say: People, Places & Things. I always wonder about people who say they're getting sober and they still wanna hang out at bars (at least at first) and with people who party. So you are doing wholesome activities. Remember: it has only been two weeks. So you are a baby in this and very raw (no pun intended). So feel that vulnerability and don't believe that it will last forever. One day you'll wake up and realize that you feel totally awesome and have truly broken from all chains that bind. Another thing to remember is that THC from pot lodges in fatty tissues and so it takes a long time to detoxify totally from it. That is why I believe there is no withdrawal, per se (although everyone is different). It just leaves the system a lot slower than alcohol, heroin or nicotine...

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 15, 2011 05:24PM

With pot aswell it is largely purely psychological addiction other than a few bits and pieces such as the melatonin issue with sleep. Where as alcohol withdrawal long term can be fatal and is physical also.

Anyway welcome to the forumsmiling smiley. Try and involve yourself with more sober people, it can be pretty difficult around non sober people.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Date: March 15, 2011 06:45PM

thanks for all the support!!! i just sat down and googled "raw food + sober" (and hadnt thought about checking back here for replies..) and my post came up!

it feels so good to get support for my health and EVOLUTION. It is such an important time now in our world to keep evolving.

it feels so good to get all of your support. i feel very alone. i just moved to a town where not much is happening- its kind of a retirement community. (staying w. family)

but...i think I need to RETIRE my addictions/old ways of being. change is the only constant. my SOUL is tired of unhealth. time to get healing for real.

"get busy livin' or get busy dyin'. "

Red from Shawshank Redemption.

Date: March 15, 2011 06:54PM

SM: Bob Dylan sang: "He not busy being born is busy dying" in "It's alright Ma/I'm Only Bleeding" from his album "Bringing it all Back Home." Gives me chills just thinking of it. I wonder if the movie paraphrased it...

I think the retirement community is the best place for you because quiet is good! I also like older people. I always have. I like a slow pace and simple, peaceful times...Take caresmiling smiley

Posted by: Jonathan Barlow ()
Date: March 15, 2011 07:02PM

I think you are doing the right thing and you should start feeling better soon.

In my experience, the relationship thing is the most difficult. I'm starting to learn that I need to be able to take care of myself and stick to healthy habits regardless of my relationship status. It does seem easier to stick to a healthy routine when I am single, but it doesn't help me or my partner to view our relationship as an excuse to be weak. Of course, if I were trying to make good choices and she simply wouldn't have it, then I would know that I needed to move on and I think it would be easier to do so at that time.

Also, if you keep talking to him, it's going to be hard to move on, right?

Posted by: trox ()
Date: March 15, 2011 09:29PM

SM,

you can do it! You WILL find your strength and be wiser from this journey.

Hit me up in you need some recipes. I have books galore and have fluttered in and out of raw foods for the last four years so I may have some tips to help in your journey.

Peace!

Good Vibrations,
Trox

Date: March 15, 2011 09:50PM

*smiling from all the love*

thank you. thank you. yes *Jonathon* talking to him will make it hard to move on...

I have been trying to find a way to process the relationship- it was soooo intense.

and i was alone on a tropical island. which had its perks ; ) but also hard to

leave...and you know we all have our stories. it was a VERY karmic experience. i had

hard lesson. i needed it. i wasnt going to learn it otherwise...

*bananawho* I didnt know Dylan sang that. i like him a lot. i saw him with paul simon a while ago. it was in shawshank though. i think its the last or one of the last lines of the movie. have always loved it.

*prana* *jgunn* *eaglefly* *powerlifer* *troxx* peace and love.

Posted by: adamlogan ()
Date: March 16, 2011 09:55AM

Hi Magnolia,

I immediately had to look in your thread when I saw the title. I share in your sentiments, I have been going through a similar process of "detoxing" in number of ways including addictions & losing my girlfriend like you describe. I lost my father last year as well which is kinda like this huge ice-burg, it's this huge force under the surface and you can sense that its there but can only see and manage the tip.

I move like a turtle, my process has been happening for 4 years, and it's still going. My addictions have not gone away, they have been replaced repeatedly with healthier addictions. I am no longer using any substances, but addiction to checking my email so many times a day, switching from a mixed solid/liquid diet to only a liquid based diet is quite difficult for me.

I'm concerned about you, because any one of these detoxing experiences is a significant undertaking on it's own. Taking them all on is like trying to set up a full out main arena circus tent on your own. Or at least it might seem like that when you fall to your knees when you experience setbacks as you certainly will when your initial thrust fades. I don't mean to rain on your enthusiasm, I just want to caution you against burn-out, don't underestimate the severity of your injuries.

It helps me to think of these positive changes we are working towards like sowing seeds, some will grow and thrive if you care for them, some will not. You can try again later with the ones that you got stuck on from before. There is a momentum with this process of healing, but it is painful and slow going in the beginning much like a train or starting up a prop plane. Can you tell that I like metaphors yet? =).

Sending good-will your way. -Adam.

Date: March 18, 2011 02:09AM

Adam- thanks for the reply. Nice to know I am not alone! Well I am happy to say I have been doing well. I am working on being with ME. That is first and foremost the most important relationship I have neglected. Raw foods, exercise, study, meditation, gardening, and nature are what I am doing to take care of myself. I also *planted seeds* for myself over the last couple years that I have been sprouting.I have a degree in the healing profession already. Also I took reiki levels I and II, lived on a tropical island and had many divine experiences that - well I have been storing away on an intuitive level to use when my body and mind were able to align with my soul to make change. It might sound weird but I have been planning my change- my healing for quite some time- I just wasnt all lined up with it... I didnt know how it would manifest. I wanted it so badly. I finally just had to go through motions- like my soul made decisions that I wasnt caught up to yet and it was alot of growing pains. And still its not all roses but at least now I can smell them with clearer mind and body! as well as feel the thorns the same way.

Clean eating prayer and exercise and fresh air and gardening are healing me.

I am learning relationships. But as I said the one with myself is first and foremost.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 19, 2011 01:00PM

Welcome, supermagnolia!

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: March 19, 2011 06:24PM

I am a former alcoholic, alcohol-free since 2008.... giving it up (and all people who use it) was the best choice I ever made... too bad it took me hitting a MAJOR "rock bottom" before I could get there, but either way. I still like pot in moderation for medicinal reasons but I still really relate to your post... you're not alone! <3

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 19, 2011 06:38PM

Corathegreen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am a former alcoholic, alcohol-free since
> 2008.... giving it up (and all people who use it)
> was the best choice I ever made... too bad it took
> me hitting a MAJOR "rock bottom" before I could
> get there, but either way. I still like pot in
> moderation for medicinal reasons but I still
> really relate to your post... you're not alone! <3

Alcoholism is one of the hardest things most will face mate, ive been there and your post could have been my own. I cant believe something so toxic and addictive is legal let alone so accessible, if it were any other drug it would be scrutinized in the media and by the government. I have no problems saying i came from a very strong drug background mainly due to depression because doctors wouldnt help me with chronic(7+years) health problems but out of everything i did and i have done pretty much everything, alcohol is the worst and easily the most addictive, subtle until your hooked in.

Poison lol.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: March 19, 2011 08:52PM

Wow...I love that sentence about planting the seeds and storing spiritual experiences waiting for alignment! I identify so much with you because I am ready to move into the next, higher experience and have enjoyed coming on here for about 1.4 years and interacting with others on a similar path.

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: March 19, 2011 10:01PM

"I cant believe something so toxic and addictive is legal let alone so accessible"

^Yes... I lost the first half of my twenties to it... literally... I was a blackout drunk so I don't remember like five years of my life. sad smiley The worst part is I was a blackout drunk who would do horrible things. Sleep with people I didn't even know their names, get into fights, and the worst, DRIVE. I am so blessed and thank Jesus every day that I never killed someone else or myself.

I was truly reborn into a new innocence after I hit my rock bottom and went into therapy for my drinking. I felt like the "kid" I had lost way back there somewhere... discovering life for the first time again. I'm just so... so so so so thankful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables