Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Omega 3 in Flax Seeds
Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: September 19, 2006 09:27AM

Is the omega 3 in flax seeds true omega 3 or is it something that the body will turn into omega 3 just like it can turn beta carotene to vitamin A?

Re: Omega 3 in Flax Seeds
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: September 19, 2006 10:27AM

The three important omega3 fatty acids for humans are

akgha-linolenic acid (ALA) (18:3)
eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and (20:5)
docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). (22:6)

The numbers in parentheses are--

first number: length of carbon chain in the fatty acid
second number, after the colon: number of double bonds.

We call ALA (18:3) the short chain omega3 and EPA (20:5) and DHA (22:6) the long-chain omega3s.

Flax seed contains the short chain omega3. If you get enough omega3 and also limit omega6 content to approximately 2:1 to 4:1 times as much as your omega3, your body will adequately convert ALA to the longer chain EPA. If you are also female and premenopausal, you may also convert to some DHA.

There is as yet no official requirement for preformed EPA and DHA, the official recs for essential fatty stick with the short chain omega3 but some nutritionists are recommending modest amounts of preformed EPA and DHA as part of the diet.

In vegan diets, many people who aren't specifically looking to limit omega6 get too much of it to make an adequate convertion of short-chain omega3 to long-chain omega3. This is because omega6 fatty acids are much more abundant in our perverted food supply (most refined vegetable oils, processed foods, junk foods, etc.).

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 19, 2006 05:38PM

The only raw vegan foods with EPA and DHA are purslane and the Klamath Lake algae, sold by companies such as E3 Live:

www.therawdiet.com/e3live.html

Your body will convert a certain percentage of the short chain omega 3 fats in flax seeds to the long chain fats EPA and DHA. If you eat flax seeds with coconut oil, your body will increase the percentages and make higher amounts of EPA and DHA.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: September 19, 2006 08:24PM

> If you eat flax seeds with coconut oil, your body will increase the percentages and make higher amounts of EPA and DHA.

This is not correct. A high saturated fat intake (such as from coconut oil) will hinder conversion of ALA to EPA and DHA. ref: Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 1998;68(3):159-73.

Saturated fats should be restricted for optimal conversion.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: September 19, 2006 09:00PM

Hi,

Arugula, thanks for the information and references. Is it the same for hemp seeds/oil as flax?

Also, mike, thanks for the tip on Purslane, I've always liked that plant.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: September 20, 2006 02:03AM

Sodoff, do you actually like the taste of the purslane that grows wild like a weed in most veg. gardens, or are you talking about some sort of cultivated purslane? The wild stuff I can't get down; it is slimy and sour, the one-two punch. What a combo!

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: September 20, 2006 02:15AM

The last purslane I ate was a wild weed in my garden. Yes, it was kind of slimy, the flavour was savoury, maybe slighty sour, but not bitter, I quite liked it. I occationally see it in mixed greens I buy in the stores, but not very often.

Ian.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 20, 2006 06:05AM

This is the quote I was talking about above:

From 'Spiritual Nutrition- 6 Foundations' by Dr. Gabriel Cousens
page 374

"...Flax seed and hemp seed will provide most of the short chain Omega 3 fatty acids. Coconut oil is a great oil for building ojas, as are hemp seeds and macadamia nuts. Coconut oil increases the conversion of short-chain to long-chain Omega-3 fatty acids by 3 to 6 percent."

The article goes on to discuss the benefits of purslane and the Klamath blue-green algae.

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: September 21, 2006 10:49PM

Sodoffsocks,
I had some purlane last night it is growing all over the place and eating it is the best way to get rid of it as for taste the younger the better.

Cherimoya
Love Peace and Happiness,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables