Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Question about food combining
Posted by: trox ()
Date: March 17, 2011 09:35PM

This is probably very rudamentary for most of you...but how does the principle of food combining work when you consider something like a fruit smoothie?

If I want to combine properly, do I need to leave my chia, hemp and flax seeds out?

Do I need to leave my greens out?

If someone has a grasp on this concept as it applies to smoothies, I would love to hear about it!

Good Vibrations,
Trox

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about food combining
Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: March 17, 2011 10:21PM

HI Trox
It would be ideal to leave your seeds out.

You can experiment, some greens actually go well with some fruits. Fruits like melons you should just eat alone, however I find lettuce and celery combine well with many fruits, such as bananas, apples, berries, etc.

I eat bananas and lettuce together everyday.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: March 17, 2011 10:26PM

According to Victoria Boutenko fruits and greens should work ok together
I prefer my fruits smoothies with nothing else except the fruits

[ezinearticles.com]

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: March 17, 2011 11:44PM

Trox the only possible answer to your questions is: yes.

If you want to combine "properly" you should eat fruit alone.

However if you can have a fruit smoothie with nuts/seeds and greens and you don't have burps, indigestion, bloating, or gas afterwards then go ahead and do it. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2011 11:45PM by RocketShip.

Date: March 18, 2011 03:45PM

Thanks all! I just wanted to better understand this conundrum. I think I have been having some absorbtion issues...so I am exploring all the possible culprits.

I appreciate the wisdom offered and will try a simpler approach to smoothies. smiling smiley

Good Vibrations,
Trox

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 18, 2011 03:55PM

It all depends on your digestion, i always add a tablespoon of chia to my smoothie aswell as a handful of hemp to boost the protein/good fats likewise in chia's case.

Absorption issues are easily rectified with apple cider vinegar, bitter herbs on the back of the tongue and fermented foods to raise stomach acid, stimulate secretion pancreatic enzymes and bile.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Date: March 18, 2011 06:46PM

Thanks for the tips powerlifter! I started the ACV last night. I was going to make up some water kefir tonight...so I can start that over the weekend.

What bitter herbs would you suggest? And where do you find bitter herbs?

Thanks!

Good Vibrations,
Trox

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 18, 2011 06:57PM

There are many digestive bitter formulas that come prepacked such as swedish bitters give these a miss they contain stimulant laxative herbs which can ruin bowel function quickly. Grape, chinese bitters are good choices or just any herbal bitter powder or food. They need to come in contact with the back of the tongue pre meal to work. There are many bitter herbal powders you can try not sure where your located if UK i have a range of herbal powders with bitter properties but if US there are many stores that store herbal powders compared to here. Andrographis(king of bitters), dandelion, bupleurum, milk thistle, gentian etc. Half a teaspoon pre meal hitting the back of the tongue where bitter receptors are located.

Remember not only do they stimulate various factors for digestion such as stomach acid, enzymes, bile. But they flush the liver which is the best way to cleanse it. So upping your water intake initially to dilute toxins and aid in there expulsion is the good idea.

Make sure its raw apple cider vinegar i.e with the mother, 1-2 tablespoons per heavy meal is the best idea.

Fermented foods such as water kefir are also great for restoring gut flora and proper stomach acidity for digestion

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Date: March 21, 2011 04:45PM

Thanks for the good info PL! I will check out some of the herb shops and natural stores around here. I have heard people use the term "bitters" before, but never completely understood the rationale behind them.

Good Vibrations,
Trox

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 21, 2011 05:54PM

For those advising against the chia and fruit combined, what about the seeds in berries? What about figs? It seems that it is Nature's plan for us to eat seeds with fruit. Sounds a bit silly not to.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 21, 2011 06:02PM

Well, to eat the seeds that come in the fruit is different than eating non-seeded fruits with unrelated seeds. Not that I think it's such a big deal, we put chia and/or hemp into our fruit and green smoothie. I'm just saying, there is a difference.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 22, 2011 05:23AM

trox, if you are having digestion challenges, do pay attention to food combining. If you properly combine foods, or better yet eat mono meals, this will allow you to digest foods with the least amount of energy drain on your body. The less you spend on digestion, the more you have for your healing.

Date: March 22, 2011 02:53PM

Thank you for the advice Prana. And the mono meals defintiely help reduce prep time! smiling smiley

Good Vibrations,
Trox

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables