Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Personal Experiences: Raw and Acne
Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: September 20, 2006 01:21PM

Just looking for personal experience from people who had blemished skin or acne, how long did it take on raw for these to completely disapear?

I suffer with acne on and off, since going 100% Raw although my skin has improved overall, I have broken out again. I am guessing that this is likely detox as my skin rids itself of the crap that has been stuck in there for years.

Did anyone else experience this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Personal Experiences: Raw and Acne
Posted by: m ()
Date: September 20, 2006 07:41PM

hi jadedshade....

as well, i suffered from cystic acne. raw made huge improvements with my skin...with a few added things to help me along the way.

i believe flaxseed oil made a HUGE difference. the fat in it fights inflammation and the lignins help to balance out defunct hormonal patterns. many of my friends who have been suffering with eczema their whole life started taking flaxseed oil...within a matter of weeks, their eczema disappeared.
the therapuetic dosage is about 2-3tbsp/day for about 3 weeks. you can mix it in smoothies or make salad dressing out of it. after about a month, the maintenace dose is about 1 tbsp/day.

i also use fresh aloe gel from the plant everyday on my skin. you can apply a thick coat of this on your face before you go to bed at night...and wear a thin coat all day long if it suits you.

i also notice that when i eat a lot of nut or "fatty" raw foods, i tend to break out more. i limit myself to about 1 avocado a day, or 1/2 avocado and a small handful of nuts in one day.

i know how it is to suffer from skin ailments...i wish you well. smiling smiley

peace!
m.

Re: Personal Experiences: Raw and Acne
Posted by: Arvydas ()
Date: September 21, 2006 03:19AM

I have only recently got my acne under control. I'm 19 and I had terrible acne from age 12 to about 18, when I started eating much more raw food and it started to abate. But raw food alone didn't do it.

Over the past 3 months I've done several particular things which have helped my skin tremenedously:

1. taking a quality probiotic consistently. I take Jorrow formulas, which is supposed to be a good brand. About 20-40 minutes after eating, and after every meal.

2. Drinking tons of filtered water. About 16 cups or more a day (it may not be good to drink this much long term, but it's tremendously helpful during any kind of detox - and anyone with acne really needs to detox)

3. Lots of blended greens. I make "green smoothies" with one or two pieces of fruit and a huge salad's worth of lettuce. This makes the greens extremely digestible and healing. It's been my main breakfast for weeks now.

4. LOW GLYCEMIC eating. No dates, bananas, dried fruit, etc. Anything that causes a rapid blood sugar response can definitely cause acne (it throws off the hormones). I don't eat more than 3 pieces of fruit (low glycemic, like apples, pears, berries) at one meal.

5. MODERATE fat intake... this is real important on a raw diet. Eating half a jar of nut butter or an equivelent is rough on the liver, which is tough on the skin.

6. NEVER OVEREAT. Overeating always causes breakouts for me. Doesn't matter whether it's raw or not.

7. This is important. I've been taking an activated charcoal colon cleansing supplement that has improved my digestion tremendously, as well as helped my skin. Healthforce Nutritionals makes an "Intestinal Drawing Formula" that is absolutely awesome. It aborbs toxins and build up in the intestines which means the toxins won't have to go out through the skin, which is a major cause of acne.

It should be noted that I'm not 100% raw (but I am vegan), nor do I want to be. I was 100% for a few months, but it didn't help my skin as much as I'd have liked. Now, after I've done the things I listed above, and a 75% or so raw diet, my skin is finally clearing up after years of constant breakouts and red marks.

The only cooked foods I eat are tofu, tempeh, lightly steamed vegetables, lightly cooked non-glutinous grain (gluten is terrible for the skin) like quinua, millet and amaranth, and small, easy to digest beans.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables