Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Vegan parents charged in death of baby raised on mother's milk
Posted by: ivac ()
Date: April 04, 2011 01:16AM

Facing 30 years in prison.

If they were raw foodists, it would have been worse, I guess --

[www.naturalnews.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vegan parents charged in death of baby raised on mother's milk
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 04, 2011 01:31AM

That makes me unbelievably angry. Is there a place to make a donation to their legal fund? I'm going to look it up. This world is going to H.E. double hockey sticks in a fascist hand-basket faster than you can say "B12 is not a vegan condition". Son of a breast-fed pup!

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 04, 2011 04:59AM

ivac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Facing 30 years in prison.
I'd say the parents were at fault...not in the death of the baby, but in the way they handled the whole incident. Shhh...Mum's the word...don't tell other people what you're doing.....WY

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: April 04, 2011 06:08AM

Absolutely un -Fking believable!!
I cant believe this actually happens in the world.
If I HAD a kid I sure as hell would be raising it on good healthy foods.
Now ecxuse me as I go and eat a nice big fking salad,covered with my illegal sprouts that I am growing in my illegl backyard garden,with the rain water that I collect and hoard.

This is BS.

Vinny

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: April 04, 2011 08:10AM

A baby DIED here. That angers me. I don't care what the parents ate.
How are the parents not at fault? As parents, they should have known there was something wrong with their kid. Maybe they have the same thought process as many people on the forums who call every symptom "detox" when it can be something more serious. Regardless of what was wrong with the kid- They did not see it.

There's a dead baby. Everyone who is saying they will feed their kids healthy food.. .doesn't have a dead 11 month year old. The article also states "Food Deprivation"... 11 month year olds can eat food. It sounds like at 11 months, the kid was STILL ONLY getting breast milk.

Date: April 04, 2011 11:36AM

The last time this happened it turned out the child in question had a congenital defect. Until I hear WHY the baby died (low b12 is totally common, it's not a vegan issue) I am not passing judgement. The parents could very well be at fault here but it isn't because they were eating a vegan diet, ok? That shouldn't be the FIRST and only place authorities go. Like stated in the article, nobody would blink if it were a family of junk-food eaters.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 04, 2011 02:51PM

Okay, Coco, because I was gonna point out that the baby obviously died of something...But if it was a birth defect in that other case, I suppose it's also possible here. I recall an American case where the baby died because the parents were feeding him or her a low-fat vegan (raw?) diet and it was 'failure to thrive.' And I believe that the parents were really not the sharpest knives at all...I mean, you have to know if your kid is underweight or whatever. But in any case, it's dumb as hell to put them in jail! Their punishment is the death of their childsad smiley They didn't do it maliciously and if it was out of ignorance, is that a crime? Negligence due to addiction or self-absorption is more willful, but still...I get pissed when I read about parents who mistakenly forget to remove their kids from a car and the child dies of excessive heat is cruel and unusual punishment, also.

Date: April 04, 2011 02:54PM

A homeopath friend of mine has been following this story and has a lot to say about it. Apparently the mother was malnourished herself and her breastmilk unable to sustain an infant. I don't know how that's a crime though, there are plenty of malnourished people in this world and most of them got that way via ignorance about diet. These people are no exception. Sad, tragic, but not a legal issue.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: April 04, 2011 03:05PM

Yes its sad that a baby is dead.
In many ways I am glad I dont have any kids,because I am being spared the possibility of being accused of any wrongdoing or abuse.Yes I would feed my kids the healthiest food I could obtain.
Period.

Vinny

Date: April 04, 2011 03:12PM

Vinny, I had a run in with child services for having a baby at home! And then they wanted to know all about our diet, not vaccinating, co-sleeping, homeschooling, where we lived (very rustic family cottage for the summer), they asked my son what happens when you get in trouble with mom etc. It was incredibly invasive. Thankfully I am a very well educated person about my life choices and able to defend my beliefs but it was no less terrifying or terrorizing for that. I was appalled to have them poking around in our lives, let me tell you.

Posted by: jimtoo ()
Date: April 04, 2011 05:04PM

I just have to ask why is Natural News listing breitbart (the right winger who got that dept of ag person fired by posting an out-of-context video) as their only source for this news? That guy is completely untrustworthy as a news source.

Date: April 04, 2011 05:28PM

I don't know about that source but this is all over the news.

Posted by: trox ()
Date: April 04, 2011 05:30PM

[www.guardian.co.uk]

The Guardian has more details on the story.

So sad.

Trox

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: April 04, 2011 05:33PM

it is always sad when a child dies... and I agree that the grief of the loss should be punishment enough but the powers that be have to make an example out of these people... in order to keep the crap food world on top. It puts fear into everyone... of course if this woman was b12 deficient it could have affected her mind and maybe she just thought everything was ok... who knows... but 30 years in prison sounds to me like example setting... and in france it's not so surprising ... i had an argument with a french man who said vegetables are bad for you... I wonder if these people realize that obesity is also a form of malnutrition??? but then obesity is a better business isn't it.

love laugh and dream

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: April 04, 2011 05:40PM

This article suggests that the parents maybe responsible but not because they were vegan.

"The fact that Sergine and Joel Le Moaligou fed the child only breast milk during her short 11-month life, and treated her bronchitis with cabbage and clay poultices, would suggest their parenting skills were more to blame than their eating habits."

Guilt by association. One can be a stupid parent or a vegan or a stupid parent and a vegan or a smart parent and a vegan. Media's conclusion, being a vegan means you are a stupid parent. Guilt by association. Treating bronchitis with cabbage and clay poultices. Maybe some should do an obesity study 5 year old vegan kids and 5 year old omnivore kids for equal time.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2011 05:48PM by pborst.

Date: April 04, 2011 06:20PM

It is dangerous to express what you're up to when it varies from the norm. I have learned to keep my mouth shut about colloidal silver, tea tree oil, MMS etc used to for illness and injury. Mum's the word.

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: April 04, 2011 06:25PM

It's hard to say without knowing the EXACT details of how the child died... but I'd think that if these parents are going to be put in jail then so should all of the parents out there who are feeding their kids macdonalds and pepsi...

Date: April 04, 2011 06:33PM

Thanks for the links to those other articles guys. While I disagree with attacking their diet as the cause of their baby's death, I do agree that their other practices are likely to blame. She was seriously ill, losing a drastic amount of weight, they were treating her with clay, cabbage and mustard. There is a place for medicine, it's useful in extreme cases which this seems to have been. A wholesale rejection of modern medicine is foolish.

Posted by: ivac ()
Date: April 05, 2011 12:01PM

Guardian article supporting breastfeeding

In France, breast is definitely not best

Claims that a couple breastfed their baby to death play to prejudices in a land where 'breasts are for your husband, not your baby'

[www.guardian.co.uk]

Date: April 05, 2011 12:55PM

That is infuriating. *takes a deep breath*. >sad smiley

Date: April 05, 2011 02:22PM

Okay, I am definitely in Bizarro World. France seems awfully fascist all of a sudden. Or perhaps it has always had these tendencies and I didn't notice? The matter of hijabs (banning them) was unfortunate, but I am resigned to the tinfoil New World Order thingie anyhow. In this case, however, I think there may be more to the story. It is possible that these parents were on a low-fat vegan diet. The fact that the daughter contracted pneumonia is rather strange. If she was consuming such a pure diet, I would think she'd be healthy as a horse. There was a case in my neck of the woods some time ago and the kid died and the parents were giving her a low-fat diet! Hell, I don't have kids and even I know that babies/toddlers NEED FAT! Maybe not pork, but avocado and tahini, perhaps? So I cannot hyperventillate in every case if parents are sometimes clueless as hell. Sometimes I think these people have eating disorders and they are foisting it on their kids...sad smiley

Date: April 05, 2011 02:30PM

If she was eating zero fat her milk may have been too thin. I think though that any child can get sick, they have an immature immune system and also inherited whatever genetic weaknesses from their parents. If a baby is that ill heeding the advice of a daughter is a pretty good idea. It's a last worst case scenario for me but I take the kids to a doctor if what I'm doing doesn't make them well fast.

A friend of mine says that article is not reflective of her experience from people from France so who knows, maybe it's just the area that family are living in. I hope so anyhow, that's a terrible attitude to have, that sexuality trumps health. Out of whack!

Date: April 05, 2011 03:10PM

That is what I was thinking, Coco. Mama wasn't eating fat and her milk didn't contain enough. I really believe there are plenty of fat-phobics who are raw vegans out there. I know some people on here subscribe to a low-fat Graham deal and that's fine but for the little ones...? Maybe not so muchsad smiley

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: April 05, 2011 05:35PM

Fat is so so important.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables