Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

feeling heavy after meals
Posted by: mallow ()
Date: September 22, 2006 02:06AM

When I eat mon-fruit for a while, I feel light and energetic. If I eat salads, I feel heavy, and rather bloated until the salad is completely out of my system. (Usually 36-48 hours, longer than for fruit)
Last night I ate a bunch of shiitake mushrooms, about 4 cups of greens, a little shredded carrot, a bit of sprouts, (soy I think, or mung maybe) with some kombucha, lime juice, dulse, and 2 tbs each nutritional yeast, ground flax, and ground sesame seeds, blended into dressing. I drank a 16 oz kombucha with my meal as well.
I had eaten two pineapples for breakfast, but I had an empty stomach when I ate my salad.
About an hour after dinner, I took one Hcl w/ pepsin and 3 plant enzyme capsules.
I still feel heavy, 24 hours later! I've done mono-fruit all day, and quite lightly, too. I'm actually a bit hungry now, but it's after 10 and way too late to eat. I'm just drinking water.
Maybe I just have sluggish digestion? I mean, it's not in my stomach anymore, but it's still in my system.
Thoughts? Please?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: feeling heavy after meals
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 22, 2006 03:28AM

Eating is only half of the equation, you have to exercise.
Two pineapples would be too much sugar for me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2006 03:30AM by djatchi.

Date: September 22, 2006 03:33AM

I play soccer for 1-21/2 hours at least 5 days a week, and walk a good deal.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: September 22, 2006 04:16AM

If you are feeling heavy after eating a salad, then it must be something in the salad that is heavy on your tummy. Simplify your salads and see how you feel. For example, you could try tender lettuce with tomato and cucumber with a dressing made from orange juice combined with tahini (about 1-2 tablespoons). Two pineapples for breakfast sounds just fine to me. smiling smiley

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2006 04:22AM by rawgosia.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 22, 2006 04:26AM

One important component to avoid feeling heavy is to regularly add green juice to the diet and also to eat fiber rich fruit such as pears, figs. For green juice, I use a kempo juicer and would juice collard greens, turnip, and beet greens, and sometimes cabbage and celery. I can also make into green smoothies

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2006 04:28AM by djatchi.

Date: September 22, 2006 06:09AM

isn't orange juice plus tahini bad food combining?

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: September 22, 2006 06:35AM

No, acidic fruit plus fat is perfectly fine. It is the sweet fruit plus fat that is not so good on the tummy.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: monochromatism ()
Date: September 22, 2006 10:30AM

Mushrooms will do that to you. I ate a lot of mushrooms a week ago, and it wasn't pretty. A LOT of stomach cramping. I know that regular mushrooms will do that to you...something about lots toxins in the stem, but I don't think the same is true for shitake.

Date: September 22, 2006 03:00PM

It happens even when I don't eat mushrooms though.

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: September 22, 2006 03:11PM

hm- i've had the same problem before. spinach and lettuce and other greens sometimes just don't do well and i'll be burping up foul upset scents even the next day if i have it at night. i think some metabolisms just do better with different foods, and though i don't eat mono-fruit all the time, it is the best thing for me. i can do green juices though. maybe you should just juice your salads.

Date: September 22, 2006 04:53PM

it's not a burping thing, it leaves my stomach okay.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 22, 2006 09:06PM

mallow,

Perhaps it was the mixing of two kinds of fat in your salad - the ground flax seeds and the ground sesame seeds. Try it with one fat only, or better yet, no fat. I will sometime used celery or sundried tomatoes to thicken my dressings.

I haven't had any fat for a month now, and last night I put an avocado in my salad. This morning I woke up very groggy and tired from my body trying to digest that avocado.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: September 22, 2006 10:10PM

Mallow, I'd say it was the 16oz. Kombucha taken with the meal that is the culprit. I like Kombucha and I drink it occasionally but it is fermented and it does act almost like a soda or seltzer in my stomach (in other words it makes me burp). I wouldn't take it with meals. I take no liquids with meals anyway, unless, of course, the meal IS liquid because it interferes with digestion. Kombucha would really do a number on me if I took it with a salad.

Just my take,

~Kathleen

Posted by: monochromatism ()
Date: September 23, 2006 01:16AM

Bryan,

What compelled you to abstain from fats? I spend all day looking forward to my dinner avocado. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: September 23, 2006 10:11PM

Bryan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> mallow,
>
> Perhaps it was the mixing of two kinds of fat in
> your salad - the ground flax seeds and the ground
> sesame seeds. Try it with one fat only, or better
> yet, no fat. I will sometime used celery or
> sundried tomatoes to thicken my dressings.
>
> I haven't had any fat for a month now, and last
> night I put an avocado in my salad. This morning I
> woke up very groggy and tired from my body trying
> to digest that avocado.

Bryan, perhaps you could try sunflower seeds. I like them because they don't make me feel heavy or groggy,like avocados do. Just a suggestion, unless you are alergic to seeds and nuts.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 23, 2006 10:51PM

monochromatism,

I wasn't compelled to abstained. Lets just say I wasn't compelled to indulge in fats. The summer fruits and produce is to abundant and filling that I don't feel the need to eat fats that often, as I can get plenty of calories and energy from non fat produce.

However, come winter time, I might be more inclined to eat more fats as the produce gets less and less tasty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables