Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Food combining question... and flax/chia
Posted by: THeSt0rm ()
Date: April 14, 2011 07:13AM

is this ok for food combining principles ?

you drink a protein shake consisting of germinated brown rice protein powder (Nutribiotic) and sprouted flax powder all before a meal.

The meal is massaged kale and bell peppers, or just salad veggies and salad fruits (not tomato though) WITH some type of oil, lightly added. Of course there might be other things to flavor it too like salt, vinegar, lemon, etc.

Then eat some high protein nuts/seeds like germinated/soaked pumpkin, and/or sunflower seeds.

Now.. I drank the protein shake before because..first: I feel I should drink one to balance it out with the fats. Usually it's a heaping tblsp of algae powder but I didn't have any today. I drank it before because I don't like to drink at the same time I eat, if I have to I believe it's best before. Now the addition of flax seed might change it,and espeically since I'll be eating greens afterward which are less fat dense it might block it's digestion?

I want to have flax at every meal. It's kind of hard to incroporate flax in a meal. I mean, what do you do with it? Do you make some type of pudding after grinding it? Same with chia seeds. And if it's not sprouted you shd just soak it yourself, and then you have to blend it in some kind of drink. Sprinkling in the salad is sometimes unappetizing, kinda gooey you know?

SO, I also make it before a meal beacuse I know that the practice of eating a soup before meal is healthy. Since the flaxseed makes the shake thicker I thought it'd have the same consistency of a soup, only high in fat.

Hm... we'll see.

Next time I'll try just the protein powder by itself (bleh, the flax makes it better though.. or I'll just add lemon but still bleh) before the meal, then eat the dark green salad and veggies, then the flax and the other high protein seeds.

Also is there anything wrong with the salad fruits and the oil content in the salad? Fruits shd not be mixed with oils I know but darn these are low sweet "low starch" salad fruits.

I guess mabe the salad fruits are best taken without oil in a oil-less salad. Then maybe the low starch veggies with some oil at the end of that. Hmm...

Tips? Insight? Suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Food combining question... and flax/chia
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 14, 2011 07:21AM

Why do you want to have flax at every meal out of interest? Flaxseed is a powerful goitrogen due to its phytoestrogen content being so high, higher than soy. Eating large amounts have been shown to mess with the individuals thyroid function.

Food combining relies heavily on the individual and how good there digestion is. I can mix nuts and fruit, or seeds and fruit. I do this daily by adding chia seeds to my fruit smoothies or sometimes a fat source such as coconut oil with no problems and i come from a history of digestion problems. Thankfully i fixed them as eating anything was a nightmare.

Chia might be good to thicken your shakes if thats what your wishing. Although i wouldnt recommend high doses of chia either, tablespoon or so a day is fine. High doses in one study if i remember were shown to cause prostate problems.

Date: April 14, 2011 07:31AM

darn.

Well I have the diea that if the seeds were germinated they'd have less goitrogens and harmful effects.

Why do I take in so much? I want to have a good ratio of omega 3s to omega 6s. That means I need to take almost equal amounts of or twice the omega 6 seeds/nuts to omega 3 dominant seeds which are chia and flax (being the ONLY ones). If not then well... it wouldn't be a ratio of 1:1 to 4:1 which is "optimal".

I also want to be getting enough DHA and EPA conversion, so I take omega 3 rich seeds to get that. Eat a little wakame too everyday to stimulate the production of DHA which has been shown to occur in studies. L-carnitine is also good but it's hardly found in a raw diet at least in the amounts cooked diets will have, or even vegan if soy is eaten a lot. So I usually eat some mung bean sprouts in my salads. Usually though for the enzymes attributed to the l-carnitine production not so much for the l-carnitine content. Same with the wakame.

Date: April 14, 2011 08:08AM

well I'll go ahead and answermy own question.

I guess the best bet is to just have the protein powder by itself with some lemon or maybe even some juiced veggies. I just got a juicer but it's a breville so it's not as good as the mastication type, and not for greens.

Then I can add the chia/flax to the salad "dressing" and have the nuts and seeds either after or with the salad. Hm...

Well the other question is to eat or not to eat the fats with the salads or separate. To have the fats all at once or blended with your meal. I guess one's constitution can decide that. For a kapha dosha that digests slowly, maybe having the salads apart or just before all the fats may be ideal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2011 08:11AM by THeSt0rm.

Posted by: jimtoo ()
Date: April 14, 2011 10:27AM

Flax seeds aren't healthy? Seems every holistic doc I've seen has recommended their abundant use. I was about to start using them again in my smoothies.

Date: April 14, 2011 11:41AM

jimtoo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Flax seeds aren't healthy? Seems every holistic
> doc I've seen has recommended their abundant use.
> I was about to start using them again in my
> smoothies.

There not unhealthy its just they shouldnt be used in large amounts or possibly not daily either as they are considered goitrogenic due to there high phyto-estrogen content. Nothing wrong with phyto-estrogens they help hormonal balance by blocking stronger estrogens and much more but they do suppress thyroid function in high doses.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 14, 2011 11:43AM

Would you say a tablespoon daily is excessive? Not that I'm having that much but you know, I could. I put chia or hemp into smoothies nearly every day. Flax isn't as tasty as those so I use it more to thicken or bind things.

Date: April 14, 2011 11:50AM

coco Wrote:
> Would you say a tablespoon daily is excessive? Not
> that I'm having that much but you know, I could. I
> put chia or hemp into smoothies nearly every day.
> Flax isn't as tasty as those so I use it more to
> thicken or bind things.

Nah a tablespoon is fine coco, i wouldn't worry about any negative effects from flax at that dosagesmiling smiley.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 14, 2011 12:07PM

Who eats more than that though? It's not like it's so incredibly tasty that flax...

Posted by: jimtoo ()
Date: April 14, 2011 12:19PM

Ok thanks. I do have some thyroid issues but never use more than a tablespoon of flax seeds. Not familiar with chia, except as pets...

Date: April 14, 2011 12:21PM

coco Wrote:
> Who eats more than that though? It's not like it's
> so incredibly tasty that flax...

Gourmet raw uses flax is very high amounts, eating gourmet would easily take you over a tablespoon.

Some add it in large doses daily in there smoothies etc.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 14, 2011 07:19PM

I also enjoy the taste of flax, I did not know that there where many who didnt,lol... I love the earthy slightly nutty flavor it has.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: April 14, 2011 11:09PM

i like flax too, it just changes the flavor of stuff quiteabit because it's strong. besides it's also gooey.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: April 15, 2011 12:54AM

If a woman is having estrogen dominance, or a man is having hormonal problems, I would avoid flax because of its phytoestrogen content.

Date: April 15, 2011 06:21AM

Phyto-estrogens are actually very misunderstood, for someone having estrogen dominance issues phyto-estrogens are actually very beneficial. Phyto-estrogens are weak mimicking estrogenic compounds which lock up the receptor sites so more harmful estrogens aren't absorbed.

One of the reasons why soy's phyto-estrogens have shown to be beneficial for preventing hormonal induced cancers such as of those of the breast.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables