Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Mouth Sores
Posted by: Jonathan Barlow ()
Date: April 14, 2011 05:42PM

I often get sores in my mouth and throat in the early stages of a raw diet. At this point I've been mostly raw for about 6 weeks. The sores are still here (they come and go). They often result from trauma like biting my cheek, but some appeared for no apparent reason. They are round white spots surrounded by red irritated tissue. I even have a white coat on the back of my throat. Is this detox or irritation from the diet? I've been eating mostly fruit and leafy greens, with 1 or 2 cooked meals each week (rice,beans,cooked vegs). Last week I lapsed for 3 days and ate a fair amount of dairy, flour products, and some meat.

I used to get mouth sores and sore throats when I ate SAD too, especially quite a bit when I was young (often treated with antibiotics). But now I get them without fail everytime I start eating raw. It makes it hard to stick to the diet because of the greater volume, more chewing, tougher food, acidity from fruit, etc. Even water burns like heck. What a pain!

I do floss and brush every night. In the past I've tried gargling with salt water but I'm not sure if it helped. Actually drinking raw ACV did seem to help the other day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mouth Sores
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: April 14, 2011 07:41PM

When you get the mouth sores for no apparent reason, this is because you have some toxins in your tissues that need to be eliminated through the skin. Do you have mercury amalgam fillings? - these could contribute to a toxic mouth.

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: April 14, 2011 09:21PM

cankersores? It happens to me with too much citrus and apples... or the wrong kind of toothpaste. Diet is irrelevant in my case. It's just certain foods.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 14, 2011 09:29PM

Um, aren't certain foods considered diet?

Anyhow, I read somewhere that for many people cancers are due to bacteria in the mouth. A little colloidal silver might help as well as a zinc tablet you dissolve in the mouth for healing (just don't OD on zinc).

Date: April 15, 2011 04:20PM

Thanks coco, I can get those things at the health food store?

No fillings Prana, but I have eaten copious amounts of raw ahi in the fairly recent past. I guess I just have to wait patiently until it is all out. Wish it could find a more convenient place to vent though.

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: April 15, 2011 07:07PM

Something interesting-

When I ate more SAD, and would then eat a lot of raw fruits, I would get these canker sores.

But since I've been high raw, and have alkalinized (or healed, balanced, whatever word you want to use)my system, I no longer get cankers at all and eat probably 2-3x as much fruit like oranges, pineapple and lemons.

The same thing happens with my tooth sensitivity. I've had bad teeth problems for a long time now, due to a bunch of horrible things from my past, namely fluoride poisoning and my autoimmune issues which caused my gum tissue to dissolve and recede, and my teeth were so weak that all the enamel wore off, causing horrible pain whenever I ate anything.

Well when I was SAD, this was agonizing, I couldn't eat ANY fruit. One bite of an apple and Id be sobbing on the ground with shooting pains going through my head. I couldn't touch lemons or apple vinegar on salads or it would literally eat visible holes in my teeth (I still have a big hole in my left molar I'm working on healing)

But I noticed as I began to eat high raw, lots of greens and such, and my system felt way more alkaline, I could eat a salad with lemon dressing and not have any teeth pain, just like the canker sores.

So my theory is that when the body is in an unhealthy state, "acid" foods such as lemon and pineapple are just that, acid... it's like the body can't handle such a strong healing, cleansing, tart tasting fruit and it responds by the sores and teeth issues (in my case anyway). But as you heal and detoxify and balance your alkalinity through all those smoothies and salads, slowly the body learns to accept the "acid"ness of those foods and they no longer cause these problems.

Date: April 15, 2011 07:11PM

That's encouraging. How long did it take you to stop reacting to the fruit? It's been 6 weeks now and I've seen no improvement.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 15, 2011 08:08PM

D'oh, I wrote cancer when I meant to write canker. Different ailments by far, thankfully!

If you can't find those things in a health food store you can online though they should have them at your local shop. Best~

Date: April 19, 2011 02:45PM

It's all healed up but I've been eating cooked dinners... Oh well.

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: April 23, 2011 06:18PM

It probably took a few months or so.

Posted by: merry ()
Date: April 24, 2011 11:01AM

I also get this problem. My husband too and it is frustrating as we are trying to eat very nutritious high raw food, taking spirulina and moringa powder for extra vitamins, and I did a 10 day fast as well to cleanse.
the main culprits for me are tomatoes and pineapples.

This is not a permanent solution, but the best thing I have found to heal fast a crop of mouth ulcers is painting them with neem oil. It tastes fairly disgusting and bitter but it invaribley heals them for me within a couple of days rather than the couple of weeks they take otherwise....so the taste is worth it for the relief I get - but use medicinal rather than agricultrual neem oil of course!!

Posted by: Pame'laVik'toria ()
Date: April 26, 2011 12:07AM

When I had chronic fatigue I had mouth sores all the time. My PH was down to 4.5!

My video to keep me inspired on my health quest: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Mooshymama ()
Date: April 28, 2011 06:24AM

Sounds like candida/thrush (even mild) to me. Try probiotics! Open a vegan probiotic and either put it straight in your mouth and hold it there, or mix into smoothie, almond milk or whatever and take it in your mouth and hold it there for as long as you're comfortable. May sound crazy, but I've had the same thing- and it cures it anytime it comes back (Which isn't very often since going raw)
Good luck!

Date: May 11, 2011 06:50PM

I might try that with the probiotics, thanks!

I should test my pH for the heck of it as well.

Posted by: Janabanana ()
Date: May 13, 2011 01:33AM

Wheatgrass juice...
Lemon juice in your drinking water...
Toothpaste made from bentonite clay, magnesium chloride, seasalt, eucalyptus oil.

To reduce candida you can take a competitive yeast Saccharomyces boulardie 3 capsules/day for 3 weeks. If you notice fermentation in the GI tract and gas you can kick back the anaerobic overgrowth by taking a dropper full of 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide in a glass of non-chlorinated water, on an empty stomach, to reduce the load of opportunistic pathogenic microbes. But the main approach to keeping your respiration and ecology aerobic is to not give the bugs sugar and carbs in the first place, and to even keep fruit to a minimum. Activated charcoal is a binding agent that is taken orally, will help to absorb those toxins in the digestive tract and prevent them from being absorbed, so can be taken during die-off phase to prevent autotoxication, and reticulation of toxins into the liver. Drink Plenty of Water and Eat lots of Fiber - to flush the Candida toxins from your system as quickly as possible and restore your body's proper pH levels to kill the candida bacteria from the inside. You can use Bovine colostrum and probiotics during the repopulation phase and you can also make Sauerkraut with kefir powder for repopulation.

The liver most actively performs its functions at night, so you need to stop the overgrowth of anaerobic feeders in the GI tract overnight and thereby prevent the liver from being inundated with toxins and unable to do its work properly. Candida Away is a chitin inhibitor. By preventing the outer chitin layer of the yeast cell wall from being created the yeast becomes weak and exposed to your natural defenses that will attack and kill the Candida. Take one capsule of Candida Away and 1 tbsp of flaxseed oil before bed and let it absorb throughout the night it will be optimal.

Date: May 16, 2011 11:30AM

Very informative, thank you.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: May 16, 2011 11:48AM

Activated charcoal in my opinion should be avoided except in severe cases of poisoning. Activated charcoal doesn't just absorb various toxins it binds to vitamins, minerals etc also.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables