Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Re: Spices and their nutrients
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: April 18, 2011 12:46PM

it's not necessarily about being toxic,, although my experience is that garlic, for example is an irritant,, both on the way in and on the way out.

putting the whole medicinal thing aside,
if you can take a whole garlic and bite it and eat it and digest is properly and enjoy it raw then great, go for it, it's a food for you.

other wise, it's a condiment

and a condiment is not a food, it's an indication that either your tastebuds are damaged and you require stimulation, or the foods that you are adding garlic to to enhance the taste don't stand on their own. if they are not tasty on their own, then why are you eating them?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 18, 2011 01:07PM

The reason i do eat onions, garlic etc is because there good for me.

I don't like the taste of many healthy foods, seaweeds, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts etc but i eat them all regularly because i know there good for me. The whole we should trust our natural instinct taste theory is boring and all, taste is subjective, one might love the smell and taste of garlic whilst the next person could hate it.

Date: April 18, 2011 01:20PM

aside from those flawless studies, i wonder how you would know certain things are healthy.

can't trust our taste
can't trust our thirst
can't trust our hunger cues

the denizens of doom have gotten to you.

what next, are gmo's good and healthy?
pesticides?

Date: April 18, 2011 02:18PM

No one is saying every study is flawless but when you literally 100's of non motivated studies popping up all saying that said food is good for you, the flavonoids contained in onion etc and so on you have to start coming to conclusion that these foods are good for you.

No one is saying don't trust thirst or hunger. But i think trusting taste is a poor indicator. If i trusted my own taste id likely be heading for mcdonalds. My friends dad hates fruit and vegetables due to the taste, so are his instincts right course not.

Some of you guys seem to hate studies until some back up points your trying to prove then there deemed worthy again. Lets just disregard science on a whole and eat and live like chimps eh?

Date: April 18, 2011 02:35PM

>No one is saying don't trust thirst or hunger. But i think trusting taste is a poor indicator. If i trusted my own taste id likely be heading for mcdonalds. My friends dad hates fruit and vegetables due to the taste, so are his instincts right course not.

dude - trusting taste only applies to raw foods.

of course he hates fruit, that's what being a cooked fooder does, it damages your taste buds . seriously, is this a new concept for you?

>Lets just disregard science on a whole and eat and live like chimps eh?

yes! like bonobos actually, the sex is better.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: April 18, 2011 02:37PM

The tasted has gone thru transformation and need to be cured. Years of spices and pepper and salt, the poor taste is no longer what it was supposed to be. You need to gradually bring it back to life before it can lead your eating life again.

Date: April 18, 2011 03:21PM

I still disagree as i dont think taste is a great judge, yeah alot of these salt laden foods can mess with your palate but if you don't like the taste, texture and smell of a food 9/10 your not going to like it no matter how hard you try.

I know many 100% raw fooders who have been long term that still cant stand the texture or taste of certain foods, its nothing to do with them not being raw enough etc they just don't like it.

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: April 18, 2011 04:09PM

Prana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> The human immune system is quite amazing. Human
> can make themselves immune to any poison, by
> starting out with a non-toxic dose, and slowly
> over a period of time (say years or more) slightly
> increasing the dose. At some point, the body can
> take what is ordinarily a toxic dose of poison and
> not be affected by it.

Cool, that must be what I did to my own body with garlic, lol. I never liked garlic as a kid but when I began cooking in my early twenties I began to enjoy it. I used to put one clove in a meal, now I put the entire garlic bulb if I'm making something spicy. People look at me like I'm crazy for eating the entire bulb which sometimes = 15 or more cloves. But mmm, I love it!

Date: April 18, 2011 05:04PM

corathegreen,

so you're saying you're eating garlic cooked right?

Date: April 18, 2011 07:51PM

I eat it both raw and cooked, depending on what I'm making.

Date: April 18, 2011 08:22PM

when you eat the entire bulb i mean

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 19, 2011 03:05AM

I made a cabbage salad with garlic and lime, and I often use a whole bulb in the salad, in my raw zucchini pasta I use raw garlic, I really love teh flavor and kick... also, there has never been a point of time in my life, in which I have not passionately loved fruit...even when eating a LOT of cooked foods... im sure fast fod really screws up somebodies sense of taste, amongst other things, but I do not believe cooked food does...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: April 19, 2011 03:04PM

fresh Wrote:
> when you eat the entire bulb i mean

Yeah, usually when I do that I am making a stir fry or something. An entire bulb of raw garlic would be pretty intense! I do put quite a bit of raw garlic in my raw ranch dressing though, and I love it. smiling smiley

Date: April 19, 2011 04:05PM

ok, sure, thanks, cooked is a different story of course

yes we love taste bud stimulation, i know.... ;-)

Date: April 19, 2011 04:23PM

I don't see why taste bud stimulation is just applied to garlic, onions, spices or foods with a stronger taste than others. I can see they may stimulate your taste buds more but who cares what does it all mean, nothing really. I keep hearing ohh they all make you eat more, ive never seen that be the case. What are we applying this logic on, that some who eat SAD diets overeat on processed crap?.

Ive seen people overeat on bland food also.

Whether its the lovely delicious taste of a banana or biting into an onion they all stimulate my palate and taste buds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2011 04:24PM by powerlifer.

Date: April 19, 2011 04:58PM

THeSt0rm Wrote:
> yea raw garlic always irritates and destroys my
> stomach.
>
> Someone told me to slice it first and let it stand
> for 15 minutes like that, then eat it. I did that
> and it was still too strong.
>
> He is actually a TCM practitioner.. he says garlic
> loses all it's medicinal properties when cooked.

Sadly it does irritate some with sensitive stomach lining in which case its best avoided. No food is perfect, pineapple leaves my stomach in crippling pain.

Hes right about slicing or crushing it and letting it stand for 10-15 minutes, although allcin is quite a sensitive compound meaning strong heat does destroy it. We have to remember allicin is not the only sulfur containing compound in which garlic derives its benefits from, same goes for its flavonoids.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 20, 2011 08:25AM

hmmm, does it like burn you or just taste horrible? for me it tastes kinda sweet & really pungent... I personally really enjoy this... obviously its not the case for everyone though,lol... if one REALLY wants to stimulate MY taste buds, hand me a basket full of ripe right off the tree pears...It will be difficult for me not to eat every single one... nothing in this world is as delicious to me as fresh completely tree ripened pears...its making me hungry just thinking about it right now...mmmmmm....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: April 20, 2011 12:41PM

Different people, different foods and different reactions really.

Pineapple leaves my mouth on fire and rips it to shreds same with my stomach, and that is no indicator if a food is toxic or bad for you. Is it bad for me yeah sure i don't tolerate it well so i need to avoid it but pineapple is still a healthy food which has shown multiple health benefits.

Date: April 20, 2011 04:03PM

Curator Wrote:
> hmmm, does it like burn you or just taste
> horrible? for me it tastes kinda sweet & really
> pungent... I personally really enjoy this...
> obviously its not the case for everyone
> though,lol... if one REALLY wants to stimulate MY
> taste buds, hand me a basket full of ripe right
> off the tree pears...It will be difficult for me
> not to eat every single one... nothing in this
> world is as delicious to me as fresh completely
> tree ripened pears...its making me hungry just
> thinking about it right now...mmmmmm....

Now you've got me cravin' pears and I don't have any!

*adds to grocery list*

smiling smiley

Posted by: Jonathan Barlow ()
Date: April 20, 2011 10:39PM

Sometimes pineapple makes my mouth bleed, but I still love to eat it. In smoothies it usually doesn't bother me.

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: February 07, 2013 07:11PM

toxic alkaloids areomatic acids volitile oils oxalates . and when we remove these toxins we see benefits and less need for the body to do toxemia

life vs lifelessness

Posted by: mindy66 ()
Date: February 08, 2013 01:13AM

Ok, so not gonna get into any debating as I don't know enough to do so.

For those of you who ARE ok with herbs and spices, etc., have any of you found a brand that sells RAW, organic spices?

Thanks!

Mindy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables