Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Food Scientist Needs Help! Enzymes in Foods
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 22, 2006 07:30PM

I am a food science student at the University of Florida working on my Ph.D. and I need some help.

I am interested in food processing method that doesn't require heat, and leaves natural Enzymes in their natural state. Everybody talks about how good enzymes from raw foods are for your diet, but I am having a hard time finding the specific enzymes that are good for you. I have a list started, but I could use some help finding more.

So basically if you know of a specific enzyme (example: superoxide dismutase that acts as an antioxidant) found in raw foods but not neccesarily in cooked foods please let me know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Food Scientist Needs Help! Enzymes in Foods
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: September 22, 2006 09:14PM

I think you should contact Dr. Diane Barrett of UC Davis. in the Dept. of Food Science and Technology. This is her specialty. She can point you to some appropriate papers.

[foodscience.ucdavis.edu]

PS I went to UF, too!

Posted by: jono ()
Date: September 22, 2006 09:55PM

bromelain, a group of proteases from pineapples, ive read is absorbed into the bloodstream to some extent... the Germans have been researching the anti-inflammatory effects of this enzyme for some time. other fruits like figs, papayas, and kiwis are also rich in proteases.

living cells contain many types of enzymes ranging from proteases to nucleases and polymerases. the nutritive values and bioavailabilities of these enzymes, from what i can tell, are not well characterized. i imagine though, that these enzymes help to predigest our food as the cells are chewed/crushed and the enzymes are released... some of the enzymes probably are absorbed into the bloodstream and interact with our bodies in ways not yet imagined.

Posted by: innervegetable ()
Date: September 22, 2006 11:40PM

Get in touch with Dr. Howell
[www.living-foods.com]
[www.nationalenzymecompany.com]

There are three major classes of enzymes:

(1) metabolic enzymes (enzymes which work in blood, tissues, and organs),
(2) food enzymes from raw food, and
(3) digestive enzymes.

Nature has placed enzymes in food to digest everything you eat: starches, fats, protein, fiber, sugars, and dairy foods - instead of forcing the enzymes secreted in our bodies to do all of the work.

There are seven categories of food enzymes:

(1) Lipase, which serves to break down fat;
(2) Protease, which works to break down protein;
(3) Cellulase, which assists to break down fibers;
(4) Amylase to break down starch;
(5) Lactase to break down dairy foods;
(6) Sucrase to break down sugars; and
(7) Maltase to break down grains.

There are two ways to preserve and replenish our enzyme level: by eating raw food and by taking enzyme supplements.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: September 23, 2006 07:56AM

Fabulous info, I have never seen it explained so succinctly before. Thanks for posting it innervegetable!

Posted by: innervegetable ()
Date: September 23, 2006 09:47AM

no problem... his book on enzymes is very good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2006 09:48AM by innervegetable.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 25, 2006 01:49PM

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: September 25, 2006 03:31PM

On a larger scale, enzymes are responsible for almost every biochemical reaction in our bodies - they are the "key masters" to a molecule's "gatekeeper". A hydrolase, for instance, allows water to enter a cell. There are as many types of enzymes as there are body processes.

And as far as food goes, there are probably as many specific enzymes as there are nutrients in the food, because nothing is getting into a cell without an enzyme.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables