Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Diatomaceous earth
Posted by: jimtoo ()
Date: April 18, 2011 05:21PM

Any experience using diatomaceous earth as part of a cleanse? Good, bad or just totally inappropriate in a raw foods diet? I assume most likely the latter given that it's basically ground up death (nothing like painting a positive image), from diatoms, but wonder if limited use might be temporarily beneficial in a compromised digestive system, as some claim (mostly non-vegans I think).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Diatomaceous earth
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 18, 2011 05:26PM

DE is a good supplement but its main use are for supplementing extra silica which is poorly absorbed and its anti-parasitical properties.

From compromised digestion there are better tools.

Date: April 18, 2011 05:47PM

Better tools? Raw foods, you mean, or are you talking scalpel and a hose? smiling smiley

Date: April 18, 2011 06:39PM

Haha i dont like calling them supplements as some are foods. It depends whats going on with your digestion.

If low stomach acid then raw apple cider vinegar mid meal is good, bitter herbs on the back of the tongue pre meal to stimulate stomach acid, pancreatic enzymes and bile.

If its low levels of gut flora then fermented foods such as water kefir, cultured veggies. Prebiotics are also great

Date: April 19, 2011 01:06PM

Ok, thanks, I'm familiar with most of those; just haven't been very consistent with them.

Date: April 19, 2011 01:09PM

The catch 22 situation with low stomach acid if thats your problem is that most of the nutrients needed for stomach acid formation are also acid dependent for absorption which is why raw apple cider vinegar is a good choice at the start, as bitters will only stimulate the secretion.

Bitters also cleanse the liver very well so if you are using them up your intake of water at the start to offset any cleansing reaction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables