Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Vegans are religious crackpot freaks?
Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: April 23, 2011 04:13AM

Here is a vid.

[durianrider.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2011 04:16AM by durianrider.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vegans are religious crackpot freaks?
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 23, 2011 06:18AM

Obviously I haven't yawned through the vid - but that seems like a reasonable self description from DR - lol

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: April 23, 2011 09:59AM

You missed a great vid. DR organised a banana eating competition, and even the chimps gave up half way through. On the way home DR was too full from eating 30 bananas to run, and a lion chased him and ate him up, so even though DR doesn't eat animal products, animals aren't so fussy and ate him, so we probably won't get any more videos.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: April 23, 2011 03:25PM

Durianrider,
The problem is that you do sound preachy, even explaining the difference between peachy and preachy. Another problem is that there are religions and cults which have the central principle of ahimsa, nonviolence and vegetarianism. I can think of a few right off. Jainism, certain sects of Buddhism and Hinduism, and particular christian sects, like 7th day adventists, and essene. Not to mention the UFO cult "heavens gate" had practiced a severe form of vegetarianism, with other severe restrictions in lifestyle.

My closest friend in high school was built like a broom and hated it immensely. He attempted to gain weight eating large amounts of meat, cheese and conventional foods with high calories...nothing. He might have gained a pound or two, but only to quickly loose it a month later. In adulthood he is still built like a broom. I have no idea what he eats now. he probably has some metabolic problem. He might have other health problems, but being overweight is not one of them.

This is not a defense of non-veganism, its just an observation that health problems are not always caused by one problem. Would veganism work for him? Who is to say? We may never know until he tries it.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: April 25, 2011 02:20PM

"Be the change you want to see"
Good message.

Vinny

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2011 02:26PM by eaglefly.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 25, 2011 04:27PM

BJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .....and a lion chased
> him and ate him up, so even though DR doesn't eat
> animal products, animals aren't so fussy and ate
> him
Carnivorous animals, as a Rule, never eat other Carnivores...
the Flesh is too acid.....WY

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: April 25, 2011 04:47PM

eaglefly Wrote:
> "Be the change you want to see"
> Good message.
>
> Vinny

Actually, that's attributed to Gandi, not Harley. But it is a good message nonetheless, just not Harley's.

On the substance of the video, same old, same old. Too many "f". He isn't Richard Pryor. And that "loser" or "whiner" you judge so harshly might be your brother, your sister, a parent or your SO or just a good friend. And even if they aren't, what is being vegan anyway except Ahimsa, the principle of not doing harm. To me not doing harm is not simply the omission of an act but also the failure to act appropriately when the opportunity arises. Pick your battles fine. But distance yourself from everyone (if I'm reading your position correctly) that's not vegan to me. As to being a religion, it's not depending on your definition of religion, and if it is, it's a darn poor one, being no tax exempt status for vegan restaurants. winking smiley There's no higher power inherent in veganism, just a desire for an end to suffering. But that's true for Buddism. So what's the difference. I'd say it's a difference in focus and function. Vegans don't build temples or churches or establish figures/idols. It's a philosphy or a way of life. Is secular humanism a religion? Ethical culture?

At times to me veganism sounds like religions (this is vegan, that isn't). But it's the difference of what and how. You may disagree.

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: April 25, 2011 04:59PM

LOL, I love how you don't even have to watch the video, you just have to read the comments.

Date: April 25, 2011 10:10PM

Some vegans are religious. Some are not. It is a philosophy and a 'discipline'. So I can see how some people could confuse everything.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 26, 2011 09:02AM

DR sure seems as religious as the most on fire religious extremists ive ever seen...and i grew up with one,lol... he is like a more foul mouthed aussie version of my father, but 801010 is his bible.

that being said,im not saying veganism is a religion, only that some act like it is... for some understandable reasons, I can relate to having deeply held convictions, I just cant relate to believing them to be 100% right... then again, Im an agnostic theist, sooo that could be why...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: April 26, 2011 02:40PM

Curator,
Don't you think there is a difference between having convictions and promoting them? The 100% right thing is something to consider, as people who believe they are completely right about everything might be tempted to do something unethical, thoughtless or hurtful in some way.

But even if you don't do those things, what does that do to the person who believes most other people are wrong about something? Doesn't that create a sort of holier than thou outlook? even if its on a very subtle nonverbal level?

I remember in high school I was a strict vegetarian. That for some reason made other people uncomfortable. A school counsellor actually pulled me aside and asked me to 'stop it'. I had the most difficult time understanding what I was doing. All I could see was that people targeted me for arguements and excluded me from activities because of it. I still don't see it, but there is a possibility that maybe it was some subtle nonverbal thing I did.

Date: April 27, 2011 02:19AM

yeah, people with 100% convictions do tend to give off that holier than thou outlook, and personally no I think there is very little difference between having convictions and promoting them, most people will promote their beliefs if they have strongly held convictions... and Im ok with that, for me though its how they do it that matters... I feel that when most of what some one says when sharing their beliefs, is negative, It will only breed negativity, so for some one like DR who concentrates mostly on what he thinks is wrong with everyone else, it makes it much more difficult to accept the few positive things he speaks of...

as far as you being a vegetarian goes, as long as you werent a militant ethical one, then it was most likely because they felt threatened by you being different...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: April 28, 2011 08:13AM

Carnivores dont eat other carnivores? How come wolves eat wolves, sharks eat sharks, tigers eat tigers, foxes eat foxes?

Date: April 28, 2011 09:49AM

what? none of those animals usually eat each other unless they are starving except sharks...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: April 28, 2011 10:02PM

Corathegreen Wrote:
> LOL, I love how you don't even have to watch the
> video, you just have to read the comments.

LOL. This

Posted by: CaptainColeslaw ()
Date: April 28, 2011 11:11PM

getting popcorn...er that's now raw.... getting coleslaw.

Date: April 29, 2011 12:49PM

My goldfish ate her own eggs. I didn't have another suitable tank to put her in, so she had access and ate them all.

I don't think most animals eat members of their own species, especially if they are mammals or birds. Fish and reptiles that seems more common. I can see a hawk eating a small weasel or a cat. Or a tiger eating a small cat.

Date: April 30, 2011 07:44AM

Biggest thread to most carnivore babies is adults from the SAME species.

Foxes eat foxes.
Wolfes eat wolves.
Rats eat rats.
Sharks eat sharks.
Lions eat lions.
Carnivores eat other carnivores. People need to get out more!winking smiley

Date: May 01, 2011 05:21PM

Nice to know. If I ever have one of the above as a pet, and it has offspring, I have better keep an eye on the parents.

I guess I should watch more PBS or go to the zoo more often. Getting out more often would help also, but I haven't been anywere near any of the animals listed.

Date: May 05, 2011 07:10AM

In in doubt,side get out! winking smiley

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: May 06, 2011 03:54PM

durianrider Wrote:
> Biggest thread to most carnivore babies is adults
> from the SAME species.
>
> Foxes eat foxes.
> Wolfes eat wolves.
> Rats eat rats.
> Sharks eat sharks.
> Lions eat lions.
> Carnivores eat other carnivores. People need to
> get out more!winking smiley

Do you have a source for this info? Just curious because I've never heard this.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 06, 2011 03:58PM

Infanticide is actually quite rare though an adult male big cat will kill cubs in the hope that he can then mate with the female mother when she comes back into cycle.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: May 07, 2011 01:08AM

Actually, animals do NOT attack their own kind for food. They may attack the babies, if they are really hungry, but that is not their typical food. They may eat the meat, once the animal is dead (or dying), also when there is no other food around. By default, they DO NOT eat their own kind. Animals are much smarter than we think.

Date: May 09, 2011 06:56AM

Im confused, you say they dont eat em and then you say they do eat em.

Maybe Ive just spent more time outside in the wild habitats of the world. Hey, anyone can just watch some DA doco's sometime if they dont believe me.

When your a carnivore, anyones body is edible.

Date: May 09, 2011 01:52PM

Durian,
During times of starvation, hippos have been observed eating dead animal bodies. That from what I understand is not the typical food for them. I have also seen videos of galapagos turtles eating other turtles that have died. Their more typical diet is grass and other vegetation.

Robins typically eat worms, larva, and small insects. But I guess if needed it could eat small mammals like shrews. I have never heard of that, but I suppose its possible.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: May 09, 2011 06:55PM

DR, it is not what you are saying, it is the WAY you are saying things. You are hyper - you need to fight with somebody in order to say something. You do not offer friendly advice, just endless arguing. Slow down, be "quiet, kind and gentle" - no need to start a fight with the world. Even those who are attacking your lifestyle - let them be. Focus on who you ARE, not who you are NOT.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables