Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sunfood, Monsanto and David Wolfe
Posted by: BrianAtSunfood ()
Date: May 07, 2011 04:39PM

My name is Brian Bowers and I have been a part of Sunfood since 2002. With nearly 10 years at the company I believe I am the most qualified person in the world to address some recent internet rumors about Sunfood, David Wolfe and Monsanto. I am writing this to defend the honor of dedicated, hard working people who have been hurt by misinformation, to set the record straight and to get out the truth about our company.

Sunfood is not involved with Monsanto in any way, it never has been and never will be. Sunfood is anti-GMO and anti-pesticide. Sunfood has never had money that came from Monsanto. No Monsanto lawyers, employees or agents have ever supported, represented or been involved with Sunfood in any way shape or form. In 2006 David Wolfe brought Doug Harbison into Sunfood to help restructure the company and buy out David’s original partner in the business. Doug’s father had worked for Monsanto more than 20 years prior to Doug’s involvement and David was fully aware of this when he brought Doug into Sunfood. Doug’s original role was as David’s business coach and they appeared to be friends. Doug never worked for Monsanto and no “Monsanto agents” were ever at Sunfood. Doug was never more than a minority share holder in the company and has never been “the owner” of Sunfood. Doug played a limited role in the operations of the company and always relied on our management team of raw food veterans (which included me) to make decisions regarding products. Doug Harbison is no longer with Sunfood and we wish him well in his future endeavors. Monsanto is a publicly traded company. If they owned Sunfood, had in investment in Sunfood or had any influence whatsoever, it would be public record.

Sunfood was not using David Wolfe’s name without permission. After his original partner (who managed the business) left David insisted the company be called “David Wolfe’s Sunfood Nutrition”. Every Sunfood product, logo, banner, etc. eventually included this name. When David signed an agreement and voluntarily left the company in mid 2009 he was well aware that we had thousands of these labels on hand, which is why the agreement allowed Sunfood to use up the old labels which bore his name. We quickly moved to rebrand the company as just “Sunfood”. Both David and his attorney were aware of exactly how many labels we had left, which products they were on and when we expected to use them up. They were nearly all gone when David made his first accusation that we were using his name without his permission (we have an agreement to the contrary). Later David took a photo of some products at a health food store and posted them on the internet as supposed proof that we were using his name illegally. Those products were sold to that store when we had full, written, legal permission from David to do so. From the moment David left we began removing his name from hundreds of labels, logos and from Sunfood.com. There was never a plan or intention to get sales using his name. It was only a mutually agreed upon effort to reduce waste and not send perfectly good labels, products and packaging to a landfill.

How did these rumors start? These rumors were started on David’s Facebook page. Despite what appears to be efforts on David’s part to damage the company, Sunfood has continued to thrive and grow. What could be more damaging than suggesting that an organic food company has a secret association with Monsanto? I believe it is about the worst thing someone could say. In my opinion these statements were designed to drive customers away from Sunfood.

Since the first posts appeared we have tried to communicate cordially with David and negotiate settlement in good faith with no success. David has since filed a lawsuit against us, in it he claims he was coerced into signing his exit agreement, and also makes other claims that I believe are not accurate. After many attempts to resolve the issue we have decided to file a counter suit for slander against David based on his original Facebook posts that have since spread to many places on the internet.

The rumors have morphed from Sunfood being involved with Monsanto to Sunfood being owned by Monsanto and selling GMO foods. In reality, all of our foods are non-GMO, all raw and all organic. We can prove it with our organic certifications. I hope that anyone reading this would be more careful about their role in spreading gossip and mis-truths. I saw many well intentioned people copying and pasting messages around the web, completely unaware that they were spreading rumors.

This situation has hurt more than just Doug, it has hurt everyone that worked at Sunfood. These are good-hearted people who are working toward the same goal, to spread the benefits of healthy eating to an ailing world. Despite all the rumors we continue to grow and thrive and provide the best foods in the industry. I’m sure we lost some customers over this. Why didn’t we respond sooner? We believed we could work things out with David and that this would not be necessary. However because David will not retract his statements I feel forced to respond to defend our dignity and integrity.

Sunfood is run by a dedicated team of passionate raw food enthusiasts. We look forward to continuing to share the benefits of including introducing more raw foods, superfoods and fresh foods in one’s diet. Our raw food team members (the same ones that have been here for many years) continue to scour the planet for the best products and run a green business. Our company is well run, is on a more solid financial foundation than it has ever been and is growing faster than it has ever grown. For more information about Sunfood go to [www.sunfood.com]

Sincerely and with Healthy Regards,

Brian Bowers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sunfood, Monsanto and David Wolfe
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 07, 2011 05:19PM

So... David is no longer associated with your company then?
Good, I'll start buying things from you again then. Thanks for the clarity.
As for the rest of it, there is an old saying
"If you lay down with dogs, expect to get up with fleas."
Sorry it happened to you, good luck in the future.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 07, 2011 05:52PM

Hi, Briansmiling smiley

Very interesting stuff. I have a couple of questions so I hope you are planning on returning here. Why did David want to "restructure" the company in the first place (and what does that mean)? Another thing: why did David "voluntarily leave" the company in 2009? I cannot understand why someone who started a successful company would even do that.

If this is all true, it is really hard to understand why someone as intelligent and passionate as DW appears to be, would act in this manner. I am constantly amazed by talented and successful people behaving badly. I know, I know, I shouldn't judge and I am not condemning him, even if this is true. I just don't get it. Even if insecurity propels some people to be very ambitious, doesn't success mellow you out? Namaste.

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: May 09, 2011 06:52AM

Thanks for sharing Brian. Its good to have the truth vs the guru informercials.

Posted by: BrianAtSunfood ()
Date: May 09, 2011 06:15PM

Dear Banana who,

Unfortunately, I am not able to answer all of your questions due to the pending lawsuit, but by "restructure" I am referring to David's original partner exiting the company and his duties being handled by other staff members.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 10, 2011 04:46AM

funny that you have so much to say (despite your pending lawsuit) in your original post. Yet you cant answer a few simple questions.

Interesting smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 10, 2011 05:43AM

You wrote

<<David has since filed a lawsuit against us, in it he claims he was coerced into signing his exit agreement>>

you also write:

,<< and also makes other claims that I believe are not accurate>>

1. Why would David claim that he was "coerced" into signing his exit agreement? What would be the motive? What was the "exit agreement". Is it on file. Can you reproduce it for us?

2. Was it EXPLICITLY stated that you could retain his products that has his name labels on it?

3. What were the other "accusations" that you "believe" are not "true"?

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 10, 2011 06:45AM

I don't know what any of the issues were or are... and probably never will (since there are always two sides to the story) and I have not done any investigation at all whatsoever . It is kind of hard to formulate any opinion though on anything unless the specifics you mentioned are further brought to light which is why I asked. In the meantime, I will just keep on eating my organic strawberries, breathing the air, noticing how beautiful the clouds are and living my life with or without ever getting the answers to any of those questions.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 10, 2011 06:43PM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know what any of the issues were or are...
> and probably never will (since there are always
> two sides to the story) and I have not done any
> investigation at all whatsoever . It is kind of
> hard to formulate any opinion though on anything
> unless the specifics you mentioned are further
> brought to light which is why I asked. In the
> meantime, I will just keep on eating my organic
> strawberries, breathing the air, noticing how
> beautiful the clouds are and living my life with
> or without ever getting the answers to any of
> those questions.

Don't lie! You know you'd LOVE to have your ????s answered, just like I would!winking smiley

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: May 10, 2011 11:33PM

no response is a very telling answer

david

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 11, 2011 04:18AM

on one hand you say you had permission to use his labels with his name and did so .. then you go on to say from the moment he left you went about removing his name from the labels ...

you say he damaged your company and employeees and then you say TWICE that your company has grown and thrived

you say he readily agreed to leave his company (this ones hard to swallow) then you say he's suing you for being forced out .. who in their right mind just leaves a thriving business ... just to start up another of the nearly the exact same thing?

smells like spin doctoring to me .. your story has contradictions

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables