Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Best source for sprouting seeds?
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: May 07, 2011 11:05PM

I am looking for a good source of sprouting seeds. I am a bit disappointed because the last batch I bought had a low germination rate. I feel I need to boost my nutritional intake and sprouts seem like a good way to do it. If there are better ways to increase health and well being rapidly I would like to know. I think especially energy wise. thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best source for sprouting seeds?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 07, 2011 11:28PM

I bought last from BlueMountainOrganics.com. I was pleased....they are 'clean'...and have a good selection with good service. Plus, their seed is 100% sproutable (Damn near anyway).....WY

[www.bluemountainorganics.com]

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 08, 2011 12:38AM

i always get decent seeds from sproutpeople [www.sproutpeople.com]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: May 08, 2011 12:30PM

A UK source would be good, i want to increase my sprout intake also. Currently i just buy them from the health store as its more convenient.

Probably alot cheaper and more fresh if i did it at home.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 08, 2011 05:22PM

Where did you get your last batch from, Mislu?

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: May 09, 2011 02:06AM

I've had pretty good luck with these folks. [www.kgardener.com]

Date: May 14, 2011 10:24PM

Tamukha
I got my last batch from a small health food store up the street where I live. Its an independent, and it was on sale. Too bad I didn't notice it was expired.

Well, I got a small bag from a store in a nearby town, another indepenent store. I asked at length when they got it, and where is the expiration date. All they had was the recieved day. 1/11/11 or something like that. I got it. They said they couldn't absolutely promise they would sprout, because sprouting in general can be unpredictable. however they said it should because of the recent date, and they stored it in the fridge.

So, i have some soaking as I type. To my amazement my partner wants to have some! So i put in an extra spoonful. I said "really?' I thought he hated that sort of stuff. He brought me to a vegan store which sold some special hemp ice cream. Also some other products, mostly kitchen stuff. We told her about a local vegan resturant. I was surpised she said she thought the place was junk, processed etc... I thought it was pretty good. But apparently she prepares 99.99% of her own food.

The next thing kind of amazed me, he said he was tired of vegan stuff. I was like "?" i guess I talk about wanting to go raw all the time without actually doing it. I am still wondering why he brought me there if he wasn't interested. I guess he thought I would like it. It was nice and all, but I thought everything was way overpriced. I guess one is buying into cultural things around veganism. I am thinking why does a glass container more valued if it has 'vegan' printed on it? Why can't a glass container be inherently vegan, depending on what you put in it, or how you use it?

Date: May 15, 2011 02:02AM

Mislu,

We understand smiling smiley

I have had luck with the seeds from these people:

[www.wheatgrasskits.com]

Posted by: Pame'laVik'toria ()
Date: May 18, 2011 06:55PM

I've had no success eithersad smiley

My video to keep me inspired on my health quest: [www.youtube.com]

Date: May 18, 2011 07:59PM

I started a batch of sprouts. They are turning out better, but still there is a layer of unsprouted seed at the bottom. I was hoping for 99% sprouting. but It looks like around 75% for this source. Its better than the 40-50% I was getting with the last batch....

Date: May 19, 2011 12:08AM

Mislu,

There is no such thing as 100% germination rate, even in Nature; what you are getting is pretty good smiling smiley

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 19, 2011 12:21AM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is no such thing as 100% germination rate,
> even in Nature...
Especially in Nature. However, in our controlled environment, we should be getting close to 100%. If not, look for better Seed. This is important.
Like I said earlier, BlueMountainOrganics.com has the best seed I've tried, and I've tried a lot.....WY

Date: May 19, 2011 08:43PM

what is a reasonable germination rate then for sprouting? I would like to see 100% or even 90%/ 75% eh... I guess thats still pretty good. I would rather get as close to 100% as possible.

In my teenage years I got some wonderful sprouting seed which was probably 98-99%. There were a few stray seeds which didn't sprout. But it a batch it was like only 10-15. Not 200 or 500.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables