Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bloating after smoothies?
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: June 16, 2011 01:26PM

I have decided that my banana/thawed frozen raspberries/ drop of water smoothies have this undesirable effect a few hours later.

I know this has been discussed before but I cannot find the thread so forgive me if this is repetition. I have a blender that I am very happy with but it does seem to incorporate a lot of air into the smoothie. I think I drink all these bubbles and my system seems to object - quite painfully or noisily sometimes!!!

Is there a way to blend without all these bubbles?
Do you think that the bananas add to the trouble? - in that they take a bit more blending than the fruit. I always use bananas as a base though. I do not have a problem with them eaten as fresh fruit.

Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bloating after smoothies?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: June 16, 2011 01:48PM

Hmm usually the reason bloating occurs is from low stomach which leads to increased fermentation in the gut.

Do you have problem with eating the same amount of sugar but not in a smoothie?

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 16, 2011 02:56PM

Agree with powerlifer--do you feel bloated after eating bananas and raspberries in their whole form?

Date: June 16, 2011 07:00PM

No

Date: June 17, 2011 07:35PM

Huh. Do you drink your smoothie slowly, and sorta chew it before swallowing? I may be conjecturing wildly here: it truly could be too much air incorporated from the blender action.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: June 26, 2011 07:25PM

Hope I don't hurt any feelings but smoothies are a terrible way to consume fruit. They are awsome but most people can't digest this form of fruit. The reason you are bloating is most likely because of a yeast infection. Also, with this condition don't eat anything cold especially fruit.

Date: June 28, 2011 10:30PM

No hurt feelings but I don't think this is a yeast infection. Would you please expand on why this is a terrible way to eat fruit.

Date: June 29, 2011 01:26AM

1. You'd be very nieve too rule out a yeast infection. I can't emphasize this more, this is the most important aspect of health.

2. To much fruit, too much fluid mixed with, too cold perhaps and like you said too much air.
You have to have very good digestine to drink your food! period.

You could experiment to get the air bubbles down and that would help. Then get the digestine up with some ORGANIC! cinamin, cardamon, ginger or something. Enzymes are scientifically doccumented to be healthful but I believe in getting the body to do the job it self, unless you have a serious health challenge. Can't think of anything else right now but you know this is a bad way of doing this so figure out another way to do it. Also get a Live Blood Analysis to rule out a yeast infection. Most people have yeast issues and don't know it. Happy trails.

Date: June 29, 2011 08:16PM

Well as you caqn't back up anything you have said so far I think I will disregard your post.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: June 30, 2011 12:01AM

I seem to have the same problem with fruit smoothies, and no problem at all eating whole fruit.

Hm. Maybe just blend a way smaller smoothie and then pour it over chunks of whole fruit? That might slow things down a little and stimulate more of the body juices that might normally respond to chewing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2011 12:06AM by suncloud.

Date: July 01, 2011 11:06PM

rzman10001 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1. You'd be very nieve too rule out a yeast
> infection. I can't emphasize this more, this is
> the most important aspect of health.
>
> 2. To much fruit, too much fluid mixed with, too
> cold perhaps and like you said too much air.
> You have to have very good digestine to drink your
> food! period.
>
> You could experiment to get the air bubbles down
> and that would help. Then get the digestine up
> with some ORGANIC! cinamin, cardamon, ginger or
> something. Enzymes are scientifically doccumented
> to be healthful but I believe in getting the body
> to do the job it self, unless you have a serious
> health challenge. Can't think of anything else
> right now but you know this is a bad way of doing
> this so figure out another way to do it. Also get
> a Live Blood Analysis to rule out a yeast
> infection. Most people have yeast issues and
> don't know it. Happy trails.

I am not quite sure what you would like me to back up or how. I have quite allot of personal experience in this area if that helps. I can elaborate if it helps if you tell me in what area. I have read quite a bit about digestine to save my life but none of it equals the personal experience I have. I have listened to Brian Clement lecture countless hours and corrispond with him weekly, weather he likes it or not, lol. I spent 12 weeks at The Hippocrates Health Institute. I have read alot of Ayurvedic books and all of Dr. Chopra's books. Also Brenda Watsons "Gut Solutions" and many others. I have listen to many people talk about their health and within a few minutes can tell if they have yeast issues. These people were tested and I was right every time, of coarse this is in person. I like discussing this stuff and listening to people's different challenges, I find it all very intresting. Get a Live Blood Analysis though if you are intrested in getting your health even better than it is. It is amazing to see what is in your blood. If you have parasites or fungus it almost always will show it. In ending, it's just hard to digest a smoothie like this and bloating is one of the first signs that a little to much fungas is present. If you just eat a piece of fruit you can digest that easyier. But with the smoothie its too much and it starts to ferment quickly and then produces bloating. It is very common with guys and even more with girls, especially if you drink beer often.

Date: July 02, 2011 01:31PM

rzman,

This is what confuses me about your otherwise considered stance: How could a smoothie, which is predigested through the breaking of the cell walls by the blender action, be harder to digest than whole fruit? I have found that adding greens to a high fruit smoothie actually has a buffering affect(because of all the insoluble fiber, presumably) against too quick digestion of fructose, if that is the premise for your argument. But, I have also found that if I have the exact same ingredients as yesterday in the blender today, but get distracted and run it too long, there are a lot more air bubbles, and I sometimes feel bloaty after consuming that type of smoothie. The likely culprit is too much air incorporated into the mixture, not a fungal infection that comes and goes! As to dark field microscopy: prolly very illuminating, compared to regular blood analysis, but, alas, impossible to come by. There are whole regions in this country without this technology sad smiley

Date: July 02, 2011 05:16PM

I have never heard of a blender that digest's fruit lol. It would be better to say it is partially digested. Just because you blend something does'nt mean it is digested. Yeast infections don't come and go they are opportunistic and if the sugar is not digested for what ever reason it will use that for food. Seeing you can't back any of this up I will just disregard your last post lol. just kidding. It's clear you don't want my advice so I won't reply again.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 02, 2011 06:11PM

rzman10001 Wrote:
> I have never heard of a blender that digest's
> fruit. It would be better to say it is
> partially digested.

Yes, this is pretty much what pre-digested means.

Making sure to thoroughly chew juice or smoothies to mix them with saliva and start the digestive process sounds like a good solution. Taking care with what is being combined and drinking slowly, a small mouthful at a time as well. Best of luck!

Date: July 02, 2011 09:55PM

rzman,

See what coco said: predigestion refers literally to mastication; the blender does the breaking down of cellular structure for you, which lessens the overall digestive load to your body. Also, I have never heard that an opportunistic yeast infection comes and goes from one day to the next, but . . .

Lastly, please don't assume your contribution is unwanted simply because we aren't communicating clearly, OK? I like hearing new information smiling smiley

Date: July 05, 2011 11:22PM

Sorry for being so argumentive, but the pre-digestine term has irritated me for a while, which is'nt hard to do these days. Especially with fruit in a blender, there is still much to digest after blending. Not to mention everything we already mentioned, air bubbles, extra liquid and perhaps coldness. Including the neglect of chewing if one does'nt chew their smoothie. IMO a truely pre-digested food is a vegetable just from a juicer. If you use a blender then it will still need much more digestine

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 06, 2011 03:10AM

maybe pseudo-masticated would be a better word smiling smiley

is that a word? lol grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: July 06, 2011 09:15PM

I'll allow pseudo-masticated/ing smiling smiley

Posted by: pamjpamj ()
Date: June 20, 2014 04:29PM

This post has been dorment for over a year, but I must chime in. The reason bloating occurs after drinking smoothies is because of the increased fiber to your system. If your body is not used to fiber, it will retaliate, hence the bloat and upset. I drink upwards of 10 bananas in my morning smoothie as a means to heal my gut. The increased water from from fruit will expand your stomach for a while, but keep at it. It's cleaning the bad stuff out. You have to be patient. That's what fiber does. Smoothies are incredibly healthy!! They have the power to heal us, but it will take some time. Some people deal with "melon belly" for a few weeks after upping their fiber, it takes others years to heal their poor digestion. Also, research food combing practices, probiotics and chromium. If you have weak digestion, then you will need to learn to not combine sub-acid fruits with acid fruit. Makes a huge difference!! Good luck!! If you need anymore information about healing your gut with fruit, then check out Freelee the Banana Girl on Facebook or YouTube.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: June 20, 2014 07:08PM

pamjpamj Wrote:
The increased
> water from from fruit will expand your stomach for
> a while, but keep at it.

No don't keep it up. 811 "the finger" trained flying monkeys, and his fly-offs say things like "your stomach is a muscle and will expand to accommodate what you put in it." Well maybe if you are an athlete and/or young and in good physical shape you can stuff yourself to the gills, do some heavy lifting, and not end up with a hernia, etc.

Remember those people don't really have any idea what they are talking about and have no idea about you or your state of health - and don't forget it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2014 07:09PM by SueZ.

Posted by: fruitofthewomb ()
Date: June 20, 2014 10:23PM

Wow, I've never seen such rude and obnoxious responses. The moderators don't seem to be doing their job here. I think I will find another board.

Date: June 20, 2014 10:44PM

fruitofthewomb Wrote:
> Wow, I've never seen such rude and obnoxious
> responses. The moderators don't seem to be doing
> their job here. I think I will find another board.

Actually your unknowledgeable posted advice could hurt people, freelee watergirl. As you metioned all of those posts are from people who aren't around so it's clear what you came from 30B to do. Bye, bye.

Date: June 21, 2014 02:03AM

SueZ,

I have returned to this thread after last participating in it a couple of years ago and am astonished by how you choose to respond to that poster . . . note how NOT antagonistic the thread originally was, even though we weren't all in agreement.

Geez, you may not like 80/10/10 or other high carb regimens, but slagging them off isn't what this place is supposed to be about. Disappointing.

Date: June 21, 2014 02:27AM

Tamukha Wrote:
> SueZ,
>
> I have returned to this thread after last
> participating in it a couple of years ago and am
> astonished by how you choose to respond to that
> poster . . . note how NOT antagonistic the thread
> originally was, even though we weren't all in
> agreement.
>
> Geez, you may not like 80/10/10 or other high carb
> regimens, but slagging them off isn't what this
> place is supposed to be about. Disappointing.

Apparently you missed the poster's only other post here. I didn't. I'm ok with your disappointment with me. Thankfully we can ignore each other.

Posted by: Ela2013 ()
Date: June 24, 2014 07:26PM

I think the OP's problem was food combining. I used to make banana strawberry smoothies and I ended up being really bloated and with cramps. As soon as I started to have just banana milk and sweet fruits only in mono-meals, one fruit at a time, everything was ok and I had a great digestion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raw vegan for life. Vegan for the animals. Raw for my health.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables