Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Eating melon seeds
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: July 12, 2011 08:22PM

Whenever I have melon I put the seeds outside for the birds or squirrels to eat. I noticed in the spring that they just couldn't wait to dig up and eat my melon seeds I planted.

So yesterday I got curious, and shelled a single melon seed and ate it. It tasted good, very mild. But I thought I better ask if its really a good idea to eat melon seeds before I try them again or eat any more. Has anyone made a habit of shelling melon seeds and eating them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eating melon seeds
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: July 13, 2011 12:09AM

I eat the watermelon seeds along with the watermelon. I find that it helps offset the sweetness. I also eat apple seeds. My friends from Taiwan would buy spiced melon seeds and it is a snack food for them.

When I was doing a 10 day rock melon cleanse, I got tired of just the fruit and I then started spinning the seeds in the high speed blender for a change of taste. They were nice. So eat your seeds if you wish.

Posted by: Nyaz ()
Date: July 14, 2011 10:01AM

I would not just eat them because they taste good or change the flavor. I would make sure to do research behind toxic chemicals possibly present in various seeds before you eat them because some seeds have high concentrations of things like the cyanide-sugar compound in Apple seeds which is used by the seed in it's germination process and is pretty much absent in the tree itself, and its fruit.

I don't know about melon seeds. They are a different type of plant than apples. BUT I would so the research and get some concrete info. You need facts!

Please note that I am not suggesting that all seeds have poisonous compounds (there are a ton of seeds we eat all the time in fruit like cucumber, etc). But I would just check it to make sure if you ever have a question.

"With life as short as a half taken breath, don't plant anything but love."- Rumi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2011 10:02AM by Nyaz.

Posted by: Pame'laVik'toria ()
Date: July 15, 2011 10:33PM

I've always thought they were yummy. I once read that many seeds have cynide in them. But I don't know. Anyone?

My video to keep me inspired on my health quest: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: July 15, 2011 11:52PM

I've heard about the cyanide in appleseeds. I did a search and found that some countries sell watermelon seeds in markets, like pumpkin seed. Doesn't necessarily mean its a good food, but its at least not immediately toxic. I don't know about other melon seeds.

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: July 16, 2011 05:04PM

I don't really sit and eat them but whenever I juice fast I just cram the whole thing into my juicer, seeds and all, so I'm sure some of their "stuff" gets in my juice... it's never made me feel sick or anything, but I don't know.

Posted by: brome ()
Date: July 16, 2011 10:07PM

All the seeds from squash and melon are edible (melons are just sweet squashes). Dr. Bernard Jensen highly recommended them. Blend the seeds up with some of the melon or water, strain thru a mesh bag, and you have a delicious seed milk drink.

Date: July 17, 2011 01:00AM

Here's a recipe I found:

Cantaloupe Milk

½ cup Cantaloupe Seeds, Seeds from one whole cantaloupe
1 cup Cantaloupe Flesh, Diced
1 teaspoon Cinammon
1 tablespoon Honey or agave
3 cup Filtered water
Preparation:

Blend the seeds, and the water together, then strain. Finally blend the mix with the cantaloupe flesh, cinammon, and honey or agave.

[goneraw.com]

for more links google: cantaloupe milk seeds

or: melon milk seeds

Date: July 17, 2011 01:48AM

Here's an interesting bit on watermelon, not all raw tho:

[www.squidoo.com]

Posted by: LeeT ()
Date: June 28, 2015 04:24AM

In Mexico, a drink called horchata (the h is silent) is made with dried cantaloupe seeds. Blend about 2c in a blender with water, about 3-4 cups, and strain the liquid ( I use a fine sieve). Blend the seeds again with more water and strain again. Blend the liquid with 1-2 sticks of cinnamon and sugar to taste. Pour over ice to drink. It is the most refreshing drink i've ever had in my life! You may need to fiddle with the ratio of seeds to water--- I've never measured when I make it. ( you may have seen horchata in stores; that one is made from rice. Originally, such a drink may have been made from almonds. I still like the melon seeds the best.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables