Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

any other raw foods can replace wheat grass juice?
Posted by: jj2011 ()
Date: July 20, 2011 04:53PM

Hi all,

Recently, I finished two books from Ann Wigmore. It mentions that wheat grass juice is a must for health issue. This was back 30-40 years ago. Is 'miracle wheatgrass juice' still true now?

I found out quite troublesome to grow the wheat grass etc. Is there any store to sell wheatgrass?

Is there any other raw food which can do the miracle job as wheat grass?

Thank you for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: any other raw foods can replace wheat grass juice?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 20, 2011 05:20PM

Wheatgrass is a great green and has many benefits, but i wouldnt say it was essential there are lots of other dark leafy greens which are nutrient rich and good for juicing such as kale, spinach, romaine lettuce etc.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: July 20, 2011 05:30PM

I'm gluten and wheat intolerant so I've never used wheatgrass.
I juice lots of spinach, kale and collards. smiling smiley

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 20, 2011 05:44PM

I really don't think any single food is a "miracle food". It's the entire diet that will help you or hurt you.

(I never eat wheatgrass, because it makes me sleepy.)

Date: July 20, 2011 06:12PM

Corathegreen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm gluten and wheat intolerant so I've never used
> wheatgrass.
> I juice lots of spinach, kale and collards. smiling smiley

Wheatgrass doesnt contain either from what ive read cora.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 20, 2011 07:46PM

Agree with Suncloud, Powerlifer, and Cora, nothing special about wheatgrass. It's a great source of chlorophyll (sp?). But I wouldn't elevate it above a variety of fruits and vegetables in the allium family (onions, garlic) or cruciferous (kale, collards, broccoli, cabbage, etc). As Suncloud said it the complete package,not one food. I'd delete the word "miracle" from the vocabulary. That said, wheatgrass is good food. Easily grown. Some thoughts from Karen Knowler. [www.youtube.com] Seriously, it's not that hard. Buy greens in the store instead of processed wheatgrass powder. Whole foods! Like Karen very much,she has a very positive message which I like.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2011 07:47PM by pborst.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 20, 2011 10:00PM

Most health food stores sell wheatgrass in growing trays; you can take one cutting typically, and then the tray must be disposed of. It's more economical to grow at home from seeds, you just have to have room, and to stay mindful ofthe growing schedule. I have found wheatgrass juice to be very useful, and the chlorophyll is powerful, but that said, it's not essential to my health[right now, knock wood!]. If there's a health food store near you with a juice bar that serves wheatgrass "shots," maybe give that a try a few times and see how you do. Good luck smiling smiley

Date: July 21, 2011 05:33PM

powerlifer Wrote:
> Corathegreen Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm gluten and wheat intolerant so I've never
> used
> > wheatgrass.
> > I juice lots of spinach, kale and collards. smiling smiley
>
> Wheatgrass doesnt contain either from what ive
> read cora.
>
> [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Wheatgrass doesn't contain wheat? lol

I'm violently allergic to the entire wheat plant, any part of it. I can't walk by fields where wheat is growing, anywhere that uses wheat straw as a garden mulch, etc. I can't even go into restaurants or kitchens where wheat flour could have been used in the past because if the tiniest trace of it is in the air or has touched anything because if I breathe it or get a trace on my skin I'm done for. Sick for months. It sucks.

I agree there's no single miracle food. I just try and get a variety of green plants into me every day. smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 21, 2011 06:43PM

Wheatgrass doesn't contain wheat as in the grain itself, also no gluten. Perhaps you are still allergic to it but most who are sensitive to wheat GRAIN are fine with the grass.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: July 22, 2011 02:37AM

Tamukha Wrote:
> ....... If there's a health food store near you
> with a juice bar that serves wheatgrass "shots,"
> maybe give that a try a few times and see how you
> do.
I agree. Growing Wheatgrass, juicing it, and disposing of the mat is a major commitment.
At a Juice Bar, two shots of Wheatgrass Juice, plus some Carrot Juice to dilute it, can get quite expensive on a daily basis, but is there a better way to spend money?......WY

Date: July 22, 2011 03:13AM

It's less than a Starbucks!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 22, 2011 04:55AM

what problems did you encounter growing wheatgrass .. i find keeping a breeze (fan) on mine keeps any mold issues under control .. fortunately i have composting available to me so that does away with the matt issue

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: July 22, 2011 05:28AM

Jgunn Wrote:
> ........ fortunately i have
> composting available to me so that does away with
> the matt issue
That's Great Jodi. If I could compost my mats, I'd start growing Wheatgrass again. As it is now, I have to use my regular garbage pickup to get rid of them.
I've just about decided to move to Sarasota, near a Whole Foods Market, and visit their Juice Bar everyday for Wheatgrass Juice. Plus having all those organic Greens easily accessible.
Rule number 1....Live near a good food supply.
Rule number 2....Visit it often.

Date: July 22, 2011 09:53AM

Corathegreen Wrote:
> powerlifer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

> Wheatgrass doesn't contain wheat? lol
>

It doesn't contain any wheat, if you are allergic to the plant/family as a whole however that's a different matter. It also doesn't contain gluten.

EDIT: I see coco already posted.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: July 22, 2011 01:23PM

WY would you consider just taking the mats outside and leaving them under bushes around town? That's how I used to do some urban composting when I didn't have a yard of my own. You have to be sneaky but you aren't doing any harm, in fact it's a good thing!

Date: July 22, 2011 02:52PM

I realize people always say wheatgrass is fine for celiacs, but in my experience most celiacs that I have spoken to about it are avoiding it.

[www.celiac.com]

^Interesting little discussion on this topic...

Date: July 22, 2011 05:00PM

Avoiding it because they had a reaction or just because it comes from wheat? Neither is "right" or "wrong" but that's a big difference.

Date: July 22, 2011 05:03PM

Wheatgrass can cause strong cleansing reactions in some so its really a poor indicator especially because the 1 out of 2 on that site who said they used it, also used with whey and said they had a minor reaction.

Whey is a common allergen also.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: July 22, 2011 05:15PM

I can't speak for everyone but the people I know of avoid it because they react. I know the difference between a cleansing reaction and my autoimmune disease getting triggered, especially after living with this condition for years and doing juice fasts and other cleanses in the process. For me, a wheat or gluten reaction is very specific and recognizable and yes I've gotten it from those wheatgrass drinks in the past. I had to stop using any of those powdered green drinks years ago but I don't mind, it's so much nicer to juice fresh greens anyway. smiling smiley

I guess it's a bit of a pet peeve for me (not anything you guys said) but just when people say there isn't an allergen in something which I know I react to. Because people have said this to me about soy lecithin as well, and I react violently to any sort of soy lecithin, the reaction is just as terrible as if I were to eat soy sauce or tofu. Someone tried to tell me there "isn't soy" in soy lecithin. Well, apparently my body thinks there is!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 23, 2011 03:29PM

Hey Yogi .. composting at the curb is totally new here and im really stoked that folks are acutally using it ! [www.mission.ca]

of course the Racoons around here also think its great that residents are now seperating their compostables for them and they just have to hit up the green rot pots at the curb now lol smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: merry ()
Date: July 24, 2011 02:51AM

I grew and juiced wheatgrass for a couple of months. I found the taste to be really hard to stomach and normally I dont mind taking bitter herbal things etc. but the sweetness of the wheatgrass was really hard for me.
I didnt feel any change in my health either. It sometimes made me nauseated which I have heard is a cleansing reaction but I am not sure about that.
Since I have been taking moringa powder and have felt more energetic since starting on that and some pain in my joints has noteablly improved although I cant say its if its definitely the moringa powder . I dont think powdered greens replace fresh but I cant get organic greens here and so far am not growing enough in the garden for regular juicing so moringa powder seems like a good economical alternative as it is very vitamin rich and easy.

Posted by: soavet ()
Date: June 09, 2015 03:41PM

Please try moringa chlorophyll,it is 4 times richer in chlorophyll than wheat grass and makes a very good detoxifier
it will fastly manage your symptoms of numbness cramps and oedema of the extremities if you regularly soak yourself in moringa oleifera chlorophyll
When you notice some loose stooling itis the detoxification process and will stop as yopu withdraw the chlorophyll

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: June 14, 2015 10:15PM

Throw some grass in your banana smoothie?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables