Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: This confuses me. The idea that the sun causes skin cancer..
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 29, 2006 12:58AM

confuzed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> why do you guys do this? you just pick at each
> others words and phrases. do you not have anything
> more fun and exciting to do? go run around the
> block instead, it's better than sitting here just
> getting in your last argument about something she
> said and she mispelled that word or used the wrong
> grammar structure there.
>
> i just dont think its fair or beneficial to just
> keep picking at little things like the way she
> said something or stuff like that, maybe we could
> all be happier and more information would be
> available to us than just posts of people arguing
> and asking for proof.

Hey, leave me alone! Stop picking at me. sad smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ally ()
Date: October 01, 2006 10:30PM

According to an article in Target News (July 11, 2005, by Jessica Fraser), a large amount of evidence is accumulating to suggest that exposure to the sun actually PREVENTS many cancers. The reasoning is that exposure causes our bodies to produce vitamin D3, which is not actually a vitamin, but a steroid hormone "that can drastically improve your immune system".

D3 may also inhibit activity of certain hormones, like estrogen, thereby decreasing the spread of cancer, and it slows down a process called angiogenesis, which aids growth of cancer cells. D3 controls cellular growth, helps you absorb calcium from your digestive tract, and inhibits the growth of cancer cells. Tests have shown that D3 inhibited the growth of malignant melanoma, breast cancer, leukemia, and mammary tumors.

One study found that sunlight exposure lowered the risk of breast cancer by 30 - 40%.

Johns Hopkins University Medical School conducted a 10-year study showing exposure to full-spectrum light (including ultraviolet frequencies) is positively related to prevention of breast, colon, and rectal cancers.

Breast cancer is far more prevalent in cooler, cloudier regions that in regions with a lot of sunlight.

According to the article, the number of people who die from breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, ovarian cancer, heart disease, multiple sclerosis, and osteoporosis - all maladies that sunlight could benefit - is far greater than the number of deaths from skin cancer. Dr. Gordan Ainsleigh concluded that "the benefits of regular sun exposure outweigh the risks of squamous-basal skin cancer, accelerated aging, and melanoma.

Massachusetts General Hospital recently found that 59% of patients had too little vitamin D in their systems.

Dr. Richard Hobday, in a book called "The Healing Sun" claims that the fear of sun does more harm than good.

Anyway, I thought all that was interesting!

Best wishes, -Ally

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2006 10:31PM by Ally.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 01, 2006 11:15PM

If the sun were the cause of cancer, then all animals that are living outside in the sun would get skin cancer. The fact is, that aside from domesticated animals, animals in nature rarely get cancer unless exposed to some toxin, usually put in the evironment by humans and their industrial practices.

Cancer is caused by carcinogens, or poisons. The sun's energy can bring these poisons to the skin from the lower tissues, and this may result in skin cancer, though it may just result in acne or boils, release the poison, and thats that.

Over exposure to sunlight and burning the skin is unhealthy. So during the most intense sunlight, wearing long sleeve clothing and a hat or remaining in the shade is the healthiest way to protect yourself. Putting lotions on your skin will be absorbed into the body. In general, you don't want to put anything on your skin you wouldn't be willing to swallow and eat.

Not getting enough sunlight for raw vegans can cause health problems because raw vegans depend on sunlight to create vitamin D. Without vitamin D, it is hard to create healthy bones.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 02, 2006 08:21AM

rawgosia

i agree with what you say
interpretation is a very delicate matter
and is not without its political collusions
and formerly preconceived ideas

a collaboration and compounding of these collusions
does not spell "truth"
just look at the FDA and the still standing SAD "food pyramid"
there seems to be some pretty laughable "conclusions" based on "scientific proof"

its a game, really
always has been
who funds these games?
bingo

there is always an agenda

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: October 02, 2006 09:51PM

there seems to be some pretty laughable "conclusions" based on "scientific proof"

Yes yes yes!!!

A couple of days ago I read that scientists could be finally able to scientifically control the human appetite ha ha ha (see the quote below). I nearly choked. Wrapping an absolute nonsense in ground-sounding words will not deceive me. As I was eating my oranges, I was marvelling at the levels of difficulty humans will go to in their effort to tackle major health problems, while the simple solutions to these problems already exist. Wake up, wake up, wake up, I hear the nature wispering. Can anyone hear it? Scientists are too busy, their minds preoccupied with their groundbreaking ideas...

"Scientists identify appetite control molecule
Scientists in Japan have identified a molecule responsible for making mammals feel full, a discovery that could lead to new ways to treat obesity in humans.
Scientists believe appetite is controlled in a region of the brain called the hypothalamus, and the group of researchers claims to be the first to pinpoint an agent that triggers an increase or decrease in appetite.
In an article published in the online version of the journal Nature, the scientists identified the molecule as nesfatin-1, which was produced naturally in the brain.
After injecting the molecule into the brains of rats, the scientists observed that the rodents began to eat less and lose weight.
The researchers also were able to induce the rats to eat more by blocking nesfatin-1.
"After we injected anti-nesfatin-1 antibody, these rats showed increased appetite and finally showed a progressive increase in body weight," Masatomo Mori, of the medicine and molecular science department at Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, said.
Mr Mori said the finding could pave the way for treating obesity, which has become a major health problem in the developing world as well as in economically-advanced countries.
The World Health Organisation says there are at least 1 billion overweight adults across the world and 300 million of them are considered obese.
Obesity has been linked to chronic diseases, such as type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, hypertension and stroke, and some forms of cancer.

Reuters

(ABC 2/10/2006)"

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 03, 2006 02:19AM

The newsletter I receive from WA State U addressed this several times. It seems that vegans are 4 1/2 times more likely to get skin cancer than meat eaters.

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: October 03, 2006 02:28AM

Regarding "scientific studies", while these frequently provide interesting perspectives and statistical supporting data that can serve as references for the subject being addressed, it is important to remember that data and numbers can be manipulated to "prove" just about any point.

Scientists and statisticians are humans like the rest of us, and if when the study began they had a preconceived idea on the outcome they wanted to obtain, they may deliberately or unconsciously subtly manipulate the subjects, settings, etc to get the desired outcome rather than accept the findings without bias one way or another.

Another factor to keep in mind is who is funding the study. Using the example noted above re benefits of sunscreens, if this study were funded by the maker of X brand sunscreen or a sunscreen industry association, it is highly unlikely that the findings would suggest anything else other than a favorable report. Having several studies support a product does not in itself confirm the validity of the premises. If these studies are funded by a large corporation with deep pockets, it will not be a major challenge to have several studies done to "prove' the point, with the underlying sponsor(s) kept completely out of the picture.

Wishing you vibrant health

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables