Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Activated Folic Acid, L-5 MTHF
Posted by: arete ()
Date: August 12, 2011 10:10AM

I see a natural chiropractic holistic doctor and he checked me for deficiencies through muscle testing. The only deficiency he found was of activated folic acid. This is what the body converts folate to, and he said that some people have a genetic defect where the body cannot convert folate into activated folic acid, or L-5 MTHF.
Apparently I have this defect, that my body is not converting the folate into L-5 MTHF, so he said I need to supplement the activated folic acid L-5 MTHF.
Of course I get plenty of folate from veggies... but maybe it's true that my body is not converting.

Has anyone had experience with this or more knowledge to share? If I supplement (with natural food derived activated folic acid), he says it would have to be life long, considering I probably have the genetic defect.
It is a bummer to think I have a genetic defect. Is there another way to get my body to start converting the folate?? Any help is appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Activated Folic Acid, L-5 MTHF
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 12, 2011 05:07PM

arete,

Have you been assessed via a standard blood test, to see whether you are truly genetically disposed to inability to make the conversion? Chrinic folate deficiency has pretty conspicuous symptoms . . .

Also, out of curiosity, how is your digestion?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2011 05:07PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: arete ()
Date: August 13, 2011 04:48AM

Tamukha,

I have not had any blood test for this.
I didn't know that it was a big deal as far as symptoms go, my doctor made it seem like it was common and usually unnoticed.
usually my digestion is ok but could be better. I am regular, though sluggish during stressful times. I don't get any pains. I have had a few problems in the past with an intestinal hernia and I often get a random hiccup.
Although, since I started taking the supplement, I have been less regular and more sluggish. This may or may not be related as I've also been a bit stressed so it's hard to tell at this point.

Thanks!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 13, 2011 09:53AM

Several years ago, I went to see an acupuncturist because there was almost nothing I could eat without getting sick. He did acupuncture on my stomach and muscle testing for food allergies.

His conclusion that my stomach problems were due to food allergies was incorrect. I was sick because I had an amoeba. All the Chinese herbs he sold me were useless.

I was finally diagnosed correctly through a standard lab test.

It would be interesting to see if two different muscle testing practitioners were able to come up with the same diagnosis for a client. But really, I'd give the supplements a break for a while and then see if a standard blood test finds the same results.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 13, 2011 10:52AM

Agree with suncloud, arete. Please get this clinically diagnosed; lots of disorders are "common" but that doesn't mean the body is OK, right?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables