Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

health survey
Posted by: cleanjan ()
Date: September 27, 2006 08:29PM

I would like to ask if anyone has been successful in cleansing, then slowly weaning off medications, and other habits, like coffee, etc.
In Stanley Burroughs book, he said he did not want to be on meds for high blood pressure, and this is what led him to do the cleansing(if I remember correctly). I currently am on meds for depression, anxiety, high bp,occ. tachycardia, and GI problems. I have thought about this a lot, my doctors, of course don't approve.I am pretty stable at present. I do work more than full time, and have family/house work, so stress is a factor in my life.
I appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks, janice

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: health survey
Posted by: Ally ()
Date: September 27, 2006 08:59PM

Hi janice,

You might see if you can find a physician with experience in getting people off their meds. I think it's so sad that there aren't too many really good doctors out there, but there are some.

I don't know if you live anywhere near Dr. Joel Fuhrman, but he seems to have done that sort of thing through a program of fasting combined with good diet. He has a book called, "Fasting and Eating for Health" that you might find interesting. Possibly his office could refer you to someone in your area, or tell you how you might locate a doctor who could help you.

For depression, if you're not already doing it and if you have the time, you might try walking as far as you can everyday, and try to build that up to at least 4 miles. There are many recent studies (including from Mayo Clinic) showing that walking is as effective as - or more so than - meds. Try googling "walking, depression".

IMO walking might help at least somewhat with your other health problems. But unfortunately you seem to be so busy, and walking takes time. I hope there's some way for you to find more time to spend on yourself. You deserve that!

Best wishes, -Ally

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 27, 2006 09:04PM

-Yes to all your questions. smiling smiley

-David Mason

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: September 27, 2006 11:30PM

> I currently am on meds for depression

I agree with Ally, I think that exercise will be a very big help. Cleaning up your diet will help if you have any deficiencies. But if your diet is already very good and you are already optimal with essential fatty acids etc., I doubt that you will see much of a change.

>anxiety

I am not sure that diet will help much, aside from maybe feeling more peaceful about what you put into your body and your relationship to the biosphere. But if you are a sensitive person, and I suspect that you are, this can also lead to high stress regarding what the rest of the people on the planet put in their bodies and do to the planet.

>high bp

Lots of fruits and vegetables should help this, but not always. Some females have an emotionally-based high blood pressure that does not budge much with changes in diet. On the other hand it is not a true constantly elevated blood pressure. It may leap particularly when the monitor is being used, or when a medical professional is in the vicinity, for example.

>occ. tachycardia

I am not sure if diet will change this much.

> and GI problems

Yes, diet should help this a lot. But if you have multiple sensitivities, it might take some time to figure out what you tolerate.

Posted by: cleanjan ()
Date: September 28, 2006 12:12AM

thanks to Ally-- I will look up Dr. Furhman. Thanks to David and Argula. I do walk when I can- I love it. I work out a a local gym 2x a week. I just need to find the courage to try this. My BP and pulse have been normal for the past year, so I feel better. My life is good, but I have had a few bad experiences with depression in my life, but stable since Feb. 2001. My husband does not like to hear of my wishes to go off meds, and go all "Natural". I am sesitive to foods, as I have constip/diverticulitis and take a low dose of Zelnorm, and use fiber. Thanks again for your comments. Jan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables