Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Help with 80/10/10 calculations..
Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: August 23, 2011 03:51PM

I need about 2500 calories a day for my needs.. I am a 27 year old athletic male. 2000-2500 kcal is easily enough to support my energy needs.

So regarding my protein intake, 10% of 2500 is 250.. am I correct that I need 250g of protein a day? (maximum)

So hypothetically.. an average avocado contains 3-7g of protein.. does that mean I'd need to eat 35 avocado's a day just to get my protein from avocado's and nothing else? (absurd I know, I just want to crunch the numbers)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2011 03:54PM by WanderRA.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with 80/10/10 calculations..
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 23, 2011 04:00PM

Nah thats wrong man, you are correct in that 10% of 2500 calories is 250 calories.

Protein contains 4 calories per gram so if your avocado contains 7 grams of protein, then 28 calories from the avocado would come from protein.

Ive never used the cron-o-meter tool but it should give a caloric breakdown that should help you see your ratios of protein, carbohydrates and fats.

Protein needs are calculated by weight, height and activity. You want to shoot for about 1g of protein per kg of body weight. A little more if you are active or regularly weight lift.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2011 04:02PM by powerlifer.

Date: August 23, 2011 04:12PM

Right I forgot about the difference of gram/calorie in terms of mass.. thanks for that. Protein and carbs are both 4 calories to a gram with fat having 9 to a gram.. thats what I didnt factor.

I weigh around 55kg, does that mean I need around 220g of protein a day? meaning I'd need about 10 avocado's to fullfill protein needs?

I take it 1g of fat per kg should be daily intake aswell?

Would carbs then be 10g per kg per day?

Date: August 23, 2011 04:23PM

You would want around 55g of protein per day, i.e one gram per kg of bodyweight is the usual accepted standard when it comes to protein recommended allowances.

You'd obviously want to get your protein from a variety of different foods not only for a different scope of amino acids but the amount of fat you'd incur with eating 10 avocados would be rather steep. Some nuts/seeds help as they are protein dense foods, again you dont want to go overboard.

Fat recommended daily allowances vary, being that 80/10/10 adheres to low fat principles it likely doesn't recommend 1g of fat+ per kg of bodyweight but the global RDA's are around that if not a little more.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2011 04:24PM by powerlifer.

Date: August 23, 2011 04:48PM

duh.. wheres my head.. cant beleive I made that mistake. Ive always been a sucker when it comes to juggling numbers.

I thought the 10/10 part of 80/10/10 would make protein/fat intake equal (ie 1g of fat per kg).

If 1g of protein per kg is the RDA standard, what would the 80/10/10 equivalent be?

Date: August 23, 2011 05:04PM

WanderRA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If 1g of protein per kg is the RDA standard, what
> would the 80/10/10 equivalent be?

I havent read the book so cant help there im afraid but it would really depend on the number of calories you were taking in, wish around 2500 you could probably still take in near the RDA.

You could probably get away with 0.8g per kg of body weight but i really wouldn't shoot for less.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 23, 2011 09:45PM

powerlifer,

You haven't read 80/10/10?!

Read it. READ IT!!! I don't care how busy you are--I am dying to hear what your take on Doug Graham's finer points is.

Tantrum over smiling smiley

Date: August 24, 2011 10:37AM

Tamukha Wrote:
> powerlifer,
>
> You haven't read 80/10/10?!
>
> Read it. READ IT!!! I don't care how busy you
> are--I am dying to hear what your take on Doug
> Graham's finer points is.
>
> Tantrum over smiling smiley

Haha, i must get round to it at some point soon Tamukha, i would have read it sooner if it wasn't for the inaccurate information ive came across from Doug at times such as getting your b12 from breathing in the air or there are some people with chronic fatigue syndrome who are so active they wouldn't even know they had it(probably the worse piece of information ive came across on a forum lol) etc.

But yeah ive heard the book is a good read so must give it a read at some point as there are alot who get good results with 80/10/10. Im currently following a high fruit diet although with slightly higher fat and protein.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Februarygirl ()
Date: September 27, 2011 11:49AM

I have a question re: 811...I've always felt weight loss comes down to calories in/calories out, but 811ers claim this is not so when you are eating mostly fruit and a few veggies....I cant wrap my head around that...

februarygirl

Date: September 27, 2011 12:06PM

Februarygirl Wrote:
> I have a question re: 811...I've always felt
> weight loss comes down to calories in/calories
> out, but 811ers claim this is not so when you are
> eating mostly fruit and a few veggies....I cant
> wrap my head around that...

Pending you dont have anything else going on that can cause problems with losing weight such as hormonal disorders, under-functioning adrenal glands, thyroid disease etc. Then in my opinion it comes down to calories in vs calories expended.

Although with a diet of just fruits and vegetables you have to take in more calories than you would on the equivalent SAD or cooked diet. For example on a cooked food diet you might not lose weight at your maintenance calories of 2000 a day. But 2000 calories from 80/10/10 or even raw may still cause you to lose weight.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: September 27, 2011 08:46PM

I'm a little less reluctant to accept a fruit-based diet than I used to be due to a number of factors.

I have read 80-10-10 and Doug Graham is a gifted writer. His english is clear and concise.

The outcomes, ancedotal as they may be, are telling. And what we know about fruits and vegetables, alkaline promoting vs. acid promoting, clean, low glycemic, etc are pretty telling. And then if you want to build muscle there is this guy. And he claims to be 95-5-5,not 80 10 10. .

Paul

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: September 27, 2011 08:48PM

caveat, I don't accept anything at face value. Some of Doug's statements about B-12 for example. But also there was Linus Pauling and his Vitamin C statements. Pauling's Vitamin C claims didn't discredit his earlier accomplishments. Baby bathwater.

Paul

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: September 28, 2011 06:33AM

WanderRA,

10% is the maximum percentage of protein in 80/10/10. If you less, thats ok, assuming you eat enough calories for your energy needs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables