Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What can we do? What is better than organic, local grown?
Posted by: confuzed ()
Date: September 28, 2006 06:33PM

What is a better form of fruit than organic? im trying to stay happy and confident but i just hate worrying about whether there are any pesticides on my fruits. just reading some studies really scared me about how indian children weren't developing right eating conventional fruits.

i dont care if it says organic there can still be pesticides and stuff on it, and i just keep getting more and more upset that organic might not really mean organic.

so what can we do? how much farther can we go. what is better than organic? im guessing farmers market type fruits, like local grown correct? i live around many farmers markets so would that be a better option than going to Whole Foods and buying commerical organic?

i might start growing my own in the future, but thats a long process and the fruit wouldn't yield for many years, so what can i do?

thanks and sorry if i come across as rude, it just sucks that organic doesnt even mean organic and all the organic farms are run by like 5 corporations.. sad smiley sad smiley sad smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What can we do? What is better than organic, local grown?
Posted by: sgc ()
Date: September 28, 2006 06:44PM

If you have local farmers market, go for it. You can talk to them and figure out quickly who is organic and not (certified or not). If they invite you to come over visit the farm, usually you can trust them. If they are reluctant, but saying they are organic, I wouldn't trust them.
And at the market you will get really fresh stuff, picked the day before usually, whereas in stores, all the produce have been picked at least 2 weeks before...
And maybe you can make new friends! Talk to the farmers. I met many ones in my area over the last years on the market, and now we are good friends, have parties, picnic at their farms, and so on. I like it.
SGC

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: September 28, 2006 06:44PM

You could get the fruit tested in a lab, if pesticides are found, sue them, after a while you'll probably own a few organic farms from lawsuit settlements, then you can control how they grow the food. If you neighbor's land is leaking pesticides, sue him/her as well, then you'll own all the surrounding farms and can sleep soundly knowing no pesticides are being used.

Since you'll be mega rich by then, you can hire political lobbiests and have the orginic laws changed to be more strict.

Or you could just grow your own.

I'm still a little skeptically about your claims that organic produce contains 10% pesticides....

Ian.

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: September 29, 2006 08:03AM

Dear Confuzed,

Please read what I wrote in Goldsplinter's recent thread, "Anyone notice the difference after turning to 100% organic..." I outlined some of the rules for organic certification on Goldsplinter's thread, because unfortunately, you are not the only one who is in the dark.

I am a retired certified organic farmer (certified for 8 years) and a former treasurer for Hawaii Organic Farmer's Association.

I'm not a huge company (just 24 acres), and I can tell you for sure that nearly all certified organic farmers in Hawaii are not huge companies. They are mostly struggling to get by and are working their tails off - hard physical labor every single day - and many have other jobs as well just so that they can keep farming.

Please empower yourself and do the hardworking organic farmers a favor by becoming familiar with the rules. All of us who've worked so hard to make good organic food available to those who want it, and to honor our mother earth by building her precious soil, would really like for consumers to know that the food we sell really is "organic". Please don't mistakenly do our chemical competitors the favor of letting people think our organic food is not really organic.

Again, please read the rules as I outlined them in Goldsplinter's post.

Thanks.

Best wishes, -Ally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2006 08:05AM by Ally.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables