Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Nut milk vs. whole nuts and seeds
Posted by: marsh ()
Date: September 17, 2011 04:24AM

I've been making nut and seed milk lately, and it seems like it is just so much easier to digest that eating the whole nuts and seeds. Does anyone have an opinion about this? Am I missing out on anything (except fiber, obviously) by not eating these things whole?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nut milk vs. whole nuts and seeds
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: September 18, 2011 01:25AM

I can think of just a couple of things:

Probably it would be best to consume the milk as fresh as possible, since it could be exposed to oxidation.

-I wonder if there's anything you can do with the leftover fiber, like mix it in a smoothie or something.

-I thought this website was so cute!

[www.rawfoods-livingfoods.com]

Date: September 18, 2011 01:33AM

Nice website, suncloud. My 11 year old has yet to get involved smiling smiley

You bring up some good points. I only make enough to last a day or two, although they say it will last several days. But I agree, once something is blended up, just in exposing it to the air things change. The pulp has been good for a cracker base, but I can eat only so many crackers, so sometimes I just discard it.

It's just so much easier on my digestion, and I am sort of babying myself in that way right now. I'm such a person that goes into phases... I'm in a nutmilk phase right now. Give it a few weeks, and I'll be in another phase smiling smiley.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 18, 2011 02:07AM

i use the leftover pulp as a facial/body scrub .. super expensive body scrubs use the pulps of leftover nuts and seeds .. just taking a page from the big corperations smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: September 18, 2011 02:28AM

You know what? I know you said that in another thread, and I want to try it, but I'm afraid it will clog my drain!

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: September 20, 2011 10:22PM

almond pulp is definitely awesome as a body scrub. it leaves your skin all oiled up already so you don't even have to moisturize after. i've never had a drain problem with it.

if you have a ton of pulp, i read in some book or other that you can make almond flour out of it by dehydrating it then running it through the blender again. that way it'll keep for a longer time. they recommended it as the base for cookies/cakes. i haven't tried it yet, but it sounds great.

still, as nuts are a major source of protein for me, i personally would eat them whole too unless I found out that all the protein is in the milk. (which I personally doubt, but really don't know for sure.)

Date: September 20, 2011 10:42PM

I've heard about the almond flour, too. I might try that. Lately, I haven't discarded any. I've found some good uses with these ideas, and am not making quite as much milk...

Thanks guys.

Date: September 26, 2011 02:10AM

I just made tabouli salad with sunflower/pumpkin seed pulp. Great use of the pulp. It came out great.

Posted by: GoneBananas ()
Date: September 27, 2011 02:32PM

I guess store-bought nut milks are out of the question... Probably made from roasted nuts, huh?

Date: September 27, 2011 04:12PM

They're pastuerized... heated, cooked, and therefore not raw and lacking all of the raw goodness. smiling smiley

Date: September 27, 2011 05:44PM

Thanks for the confirmation, Marsh. I have been deluding myself!

Date: September 28, 2011 02:00AM

GoneBananas-

It is so easy to make your own. For some reason it sounded so intimidating, but it is really so simple. I like sunflower seed milk a lot, and it's super cheap to make.

Date: September 28, 2011 07:08PM

Marsh,

Sunflower milk! Never considered that one!! Will have to try that this weekend. Also read where someone made sunflower cheese. Is that fairly easy?

Last night I did make almond milk but didn't strain out the particles--just added more water to thin it out. Nice! Not sure how much fat would be in there though.

Thanks!
Vicki

Date: September 28, 2011 08:47PM

I've never made the cheese, but that's an idea for you. Most of the fat from the nut goes to the milk, provided you're blending it and pulverizing it thoroughly. I don't have a fancy nutmilk bag. I've used a kitchen nylon mesh strainer, nylon fabric netting from the fabric store I bought for $1, and now, the easiest, is a nylon mesh lingerie bag that I had and wasn't using. Strained is good, it's creamier, but if you keep the pulp in there, I guess it's sort of a whole food again smiling smiley

Sometimes I mix sunflower and pumpkin seeds... that's really good, too.

Date: September 29, 2011 02:08AM

Thanks for the good ideas!

Date: September 29, 2011 10:57PM

Hey Vicki-

One more idea for you if you haven't thought of it already-
Sometimes I add a date before blending, and then mix in some raw carob powder (or maybe cacoa) to the strained milk. Now that is really good smiling smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2011 10:59PM by marsh.

Date: October 01, 2011 01:35AM

Yum!. I definitely have added the dates but not the chocolate. That could be a nice sweet treat once in a while! Thanks again Marsh.

Vicki

Date: October 01, 2011 01:56AM

You're welcome. smiling smiley

Lately I have been skipping the dates, or any sweetener, because the sunwarrior vanilla has stevia, and that is plenty sweet for me, even when I add the carob.

Date: October 03, 2011 01:40AM

Marsh,

You may also really enjoy the natural flavor of SW. That's the one I use. I have plenty of sweet and good flavor from the fruit that I add (even though there are a lot of greens, too), so no sweetener is even necessary.

Vicki

Date: October 03, 2011 02:06AM

What is SW?

Date: October 04, 2011 03:34PM

Sorry, being lazy. The brand we both use--Sun Warrior.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: October 08, 2011 07:54PM

I hope you guys know that commercial organic almonds are not raw!

Date: October 10, 2011 12:44AM

yep, only buy the ones that say raw. thanks!

Date: October 10, 2011 12:48AM

GoneBananas-

The only problem is that if you are buying them in a store, they were steamed, and the bin or package still says raw. It's some new pasteurization thing they have to do. You have to go online and hope to find an authentic raw source. Most of those aren't raw either.

Date: October 11, 2011 02:44PM

Oh my goodness! I had no idea. Things are getting too complicated. Thank you for the heads up. Where do you purchase yours?

Vicki

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: October 11, 2011 05:58PM

I would add the dried nut pulp either into your next smoothie or manna bread. That way you get it all.

P

Date: October 11, 2011 09:47PM

I'm in California, so I can still find real local raw ones sometimes. Other people might have a good online source for you. I'd actually be interested to find that out as well.

Posted by: rawutmamma ()
Date: October 13, 2011 10:58PM

I would also like to know where people are finding their raw nuts, almonds in particular.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables