Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

hempseed protein powder
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: September 18, 2011 06:03AM

Does anyone have any thoughts on this as a protein supplement? I was wondering if it might help me build muscle (along with exercise of course).

I have the Navitas brand.

I notice that the hempseed and the hempseed powder have a very different nutritional profile, with the powder being more nutrient-dense. I think that's because the powder hasn't been hulled?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hempseed protein powder
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 18, 2011 10:16AM

There are isolates of hemp protein also, any idea which one it is you've got. Either way they are both good sources of protein and the non-isolate is a good source of balanced essential fatty acids. So yeah they will be good to use post workout.

Although building muscle is largely dependent on consuming excess calories and from that excess a little more protein than you normally would. A solid routine also helps focused mainly around compound exercises.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: September 18, 2011 08:22PM

Thanks powerlifer. I was hoping to hear from you!

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: September 19, 2011 05:24PM

What about soaking the seeds and then making a milk? I never really like the idea of isolating bits and pieces from a food - it seems 'wrong' really. (if you know what I mean) - although I suppose you will get the fat with the milk.

Date: September 19, 2011 05:39PM

I believe alot of the fiber is gone when you make a nut milk so that would be a big downside.

Juicing etc can be a great source of nutrients but i prefer to add a little fiber back in to slow down the absorption of sugars. Fructose void of fiber has been shown to be one of the factors in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: September 19, 2011 09:08PM

That's interesting powerlifer but I really have no shortage of fiber in my diet!!!!

How much fructose is in nuts anyway - I thought that was a fruit sugar?

What is the problem with fast absorption of sugars - I never experience any difficulties.

Do raw vegans that have a reasonably low intake of fat suffer from fatty liver disease any way - not that I've ever heard of

Date: September 19, 2011 09:26PM

I was meaning juices rather than nut milks regarding the fructose, nut milks have the benefit of being rich in protein and fats to slow down insulin spikes.

Its not really about how high your diet is in fiber but what your consuming at the time. Although a diet high in fiber obviously helps. Green juices obviously have less impact as there lower in sugar than say a carrot or a fruit juice. You can stick a little of the pulp back in the juice and still get all of the benefits or add in a little external fiber source. Some juicers even retain a little of the fiber.

Blood sugar issues due to spiking insulin is one of the issues of consuming pure sugar sources with no fiber to slow down the absorption. Like i say this has thought to be one of the factors in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.

Fatty liver disease can often not present any symptoms and someone who eats large amounts of raw foods would probably be more safe guarded than someone who doesn't.

Just something to think about, many who do juice fasts and large amount of juices often have blood sugar problems such as headaches, dizziness, tiredness etc and put it down to detoxing instead.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2011 09:27PM by powerlifer.

Date: September 19, 2011 09:32PM

re - your last paragraph - yes I have heard of many people reporting such problems. Are we talking here about juices that are mainly fruit? All though I have to say that I experience no such problems even when drinking pints of pure melon juice for example - I love to do this on an empty stomach in the morning - and I feel fab!!

Anyway - sorry Suncloud - this post is about hempseed protein powder - back to topic smiling smiley

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: September 19, 2011 09:39PM

Actually, this is good, flipperjan. You've asked some good questions. I've really never thought about juice potentially creating harm like that... interesting. I don't juice all that much, except for wheatgrass. However it's always stated to take those small shots on an empty stomach for maximum benefit.

Anyway, interesting points, powerifer.

Date: September 19, 2011 09:54PM

Fruit juices tend to pose a bigger problem like i say as they are richer in sugar than most vegetable juices other than carrot/beets etc.

Wheatgrass poses little to no issue because of the amount that is usually used and that its not greatly rich in sugar.

A glass of juice a day in those who that are already healthy would probably be no problem, but if your going to take alot of juices in then i would add a little fiber to slow the absorption of sugar down.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: September 19, 2011 11:40PM

Hey flip!

(strayed topics never bother me, FYI)

I've been trying out some of the powdered raw "superfoods" like hemp for the protein and zinc, and carob for the calcium.

Maybe it's just me, but something about these powders seems to stall my system. Can powders lose some of the effect of the fiber because they're so pulverized and dried out? They're whole foods, but just dried and powdered.

Could be me though. Lately I haven't had enough exercise, so maybe that's it. Or maybe I should drink more water on powder days.

Anyway I think I'll give them a break for a while and TRY to find time to excercise (what am I doing here? I should be doing my yoga right now!)

Date: September 20, 2011 12:16AM

I've been supplementing with raw vegan protein protein powder, and seem to be digesting it ok. One thing that I did notice, because I've used it different ways to see what worked the best- was that if I mix it into a fruit smoothie, it doesn't go over too well. I get the brain foggies. But if I mix it with water, or even better, a little nutmilk, and don't have anything else for a few hours, it is like a meal. I'm satisfied for quite a while and it's really easy to digest.

Carob, or the way I've had it, made into little sweet yummy things with dates to sweeten, is harder for me to digest and gives me the foggies as well. Could be the sugar and nut combo, though, and not the carob. How are you using the carob?

Date: September 20, 2011 03:23AM

I was mixing carob with papaya and banana. It gets very wet because of the papaya. I used a lot of fruit and about a tablespoon of carob.

I always eat fruits and nuts/seeds together, and for whatever reason, that never bothers me at all. I really think it's the concentration of the powder.

Interesting, back in the old days, it was: "don't mix fruits and vegetables". I have an old vegan cookbook with a chart for food combining that includes that advice, plus advising that fruits and nuts together are good. Personally, I just think people are different. One thing works for one person and another thing works for someone else - within reason.

Maybe if I were getting more exercise....OK, off and running! (I never did my yoga). I'm too busy these days! Something has to change!

Date: September 20, 2011 04:26AM

haha! I'm with you on the exercise thing, sucloud!
soon.... very soon.... I'll be doing my yoga again. smiling smiley

Date: September 20, 2011 09:12PM

smiling smiley

Date: September 20, 2011 10:49PM

suncloud,

I had a thought today as I was drinking my protein drink, made from raw powders...

When the protein source is whole, and not ground, we need to chew it, and therefore it is "pre-digested" as it mixes with saliva. However, when we drink it, it sort of bypasses that step for the most part, and doesn't allow the first stages of digestion to happen. It doesn't seem to bother me, but maybe this is why it is "stalling your system." Maybe try "chewing" your drink. Just a thought...

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: September 25, 2011 11:06PM

The seeds are less processed and therefore better. They do not have a lot of fat so just go for it.

Posted by: GoneBananas ()
Date: September 30, 2011 02:43PM

I bought some of Trader Joe's chocolate hemp powder but it doesn't taste very good.

On the other hand, I have been using Sun Warrior Raw Vegan Protein (may be the same as Marsh is using) in natural flavor and Sun Warrior Raw Activated Barley mixed with water, a little nut milk, fruit and greens. Tastes good and the barley slows the digestion so you feel satisfied for a long time. Has anyone else been using these Sun Warrior products?

Vicki

Date: September 30, 2011 02:50PM

Yeah Vicki, ive been using sunwarrior and vega products for a long time now. I need more protein as a vegan bodybuilder so use alot of these products.

Hemp seed powder and such is pretty yuck tasting compared to the more expensive protein powders such as sunwarrior, vega etc.

Sunwarrior is probably the best tasting as its smooth, although vega whole food optimizer etc is good also especially the vanilla chai flavor, just a little grainy at times.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Date: September 30, 2011 04:01PM

I love Sunwarrior. It is so delicious mixed with seed or nutmilk, and like Vicki said, it keeps me satisfied for hours. I get the vanilla, haven't seen the vanilla chai, that sounds really good.

I also like Garden of Life brand raw vegan protein powder. It's not sweetened, like Sunwarrior, a liitle bit more grainy, and nuttier in flavor. I alternate between the two.

I have yet tro try hempseed...

Date: September 30, 2011 04:17PM

I was meaning the vanilla chai vega whole food optimizer marshsmiling smiley.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Date: September 30, 2011 09:12PM

oohhh. haha. Well, the vanilla protein powder is quite yummy, I'm happy with that smiling smiley.

Date: October 01, 2011 01:48AM

Powerlifer and Marsh,

Thanks for the confirmation from you both. My husband drinks the Vega protein. He says it helps him recover quicker after a workout. I don't like it nearly as well as Sun Warrior, but vanilla chai sounds tempting! What exactly is food optimizer? The best deal I've found for ordering Sun Warrior has been LuckyVitamin.com.

Also, I guess this is off-topic, but I just tried Pure raw vegan bars. The chocolate and the orange something or other were both very good. I was easily able to stay away from the vending machine at work! Anyway, I noticed Lucky Vitamin sells those too.

take care,
Vicki

Date: October 01, 2011 10:47AM

The vanilla chai is really nice, out of the others ive only tried the berry so far. Get in a routine of using the same flavor for ages. There are 2 main vega tub products one being the wholefood optimizer/thrive or sports protein. The latter is more for athletes/weight lifters as it has a little extra bits and pieces such as branched chain amino acids etc.

The wholefood optimizer is more like a complete meal, still high in protein, contains maca, chlorella, omega-3's, probiotics, prebiotics and some other bits and pieces.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2011 10:48AM by powerlifer.

Date: October 03, 2011 01:36AM

Powerlifer,

Wholefood optimizer sounds interesting. Will check it out.

Thanks,
Vicki

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables