Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What is the Natural way of working out and exercising?
Posted by: confuzed ()
Date: October 01, 2006 05:15AM

Machines and lifting weights feels unatural to me. what is the natural way of building muscles and working out and exercising?

Re: What is the Natural way of working out and exercising?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 01, 2006 05:35AM

That would be stretching, natural resistance: pull ups, push ups, squats, running, walking, going up and down stairs. All of these things you do in the course of your day anyway. Make them your workout - and you'll always have a useful regime. Just my opinions.

-At the bare minimum, long walks and morning stretches in the sun will help you out.

-David Mason

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: October 01, 2006 09:29AM

Walking, running, climbing trees, making love, I'm sure there are more....

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 01, 2006 10:49AM

The best book on a natural way of working out I found is push yourself to power [www.amazon.com]
and reviewer Mark J. Grice has a great explanation of the technique

Posted by: confuzed ()
Date: October 01, 2006 01:58PM

wait but is weight lifting really that bad? would someone have a diferent frame who weightlifts than someone who uses resistance training? how would the 2 forms look, like what muscles does each one emphasize?

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 01, 2006 02:04PM

-Resistance training IS lifting weight. The difference is that you want to work slightly beyond what your normal strength and endurance levels are. Without the abnormal protein bulk from cooked foods - muscles stablize naturally at a good tone - if they are exercised.

-If eating raw and living naturally? Yes. The two frames would look slightly different. Heavier free-weight training can emphasize almost any muscle group. Sometimes to an abnormal or deterimental effect. More natural ways will give you good tone and endurance - but not necessarily the size. I think a good combination of the two should do you. Stick to the natural ways....and use appropriate free weights to sculpt and strengthen the areas that you think are important. What do you think?

-David Mason

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: October 01, 2006 05:04PM

Personal I feel for workouts/exercising to be natural, there has to be some primary point to the activity that doesn't have anything to do with working out or exercising. For example, walking some place, kayaking out to an island to pick herbs, fighting, dancing (courtship), making love, gardening, harvesting, preparing foods, building a house, etc..

Nice thread.

Ian.

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: October 01, 2006 11:42PM

I like doing a lot of what the other people have posted on here. I also think lifting weights in moderation is alright, too. Probably some of them aren't the most natural,but it is fun. smiling smiley

Posted by: summer ()
Date: October 02, 2006 01:09AM

The natural way of exercising...now, this is definately a philisophical opportunity...

In my opinion, the only 'natural' way of exercising, is how our ancestors conducted themselves - building up their homes and communities and agriculture with physical exertion...and have you ever seen photos of 'primitive' peoples, some of which look absolutely physically beautiful when they are still young? ( I think ultimately the primitive lifestyle ages the body quickly, for reasons others may know more about)
My own experience: when I lifted weights or did other resistance training, usually indoors, I looked good and felt pretty good, but it was always kind of boring and seemed a bit vain...
When I worked hard physically in my own way rhythm (meaning not under the whip of a job like carpentry or other like jobs) I felt absolutely the best, and looked the best, and also was the strongest physically! And, biggest bonus, I always accomplished something useful other than maintaining my health and bicepts...
My conclusions at this point - why 'workout' with weights and such to keep in shape when you can pick a project that will accomplish the same physical goals and also benefit your or your communities economic and/or spiritual health.
Is not working out with weights and such that accomplishes only a physical goal kind of typical of our 'modern' thinking where we spend energy only on ourselves?
Why not pick a project like a rock wall around a garden, or build a garden, or shovel your elderly neighbours snow, or clean up heavy debris in your area, or cit firewood to give away (or sell if you want to make an extra buck) etc etc...
This way, you are actually accomplishing something good with your energy plus reaping the physical rewards.
And, whats more attractive, a healthy looking person working on some worthy project around their home or community, or a person in a room exercising.
Plus, think of the resources that go into creating the dumbells and barbells and all that special equipment to keep humans 'in shape', while the world tumbles deeper into crisis due to mis and over use of resources and mis use of our own physical energy.
I say, exercise naturally by getting out and building/creating something beautiful in the world.
I do fully support stretching, however, or yoga, but without all the props and gizmos now on the market. Get a blanket or mat thats all you need.
And everyone, please stop jogging on the pavement, my God think about your knees! How ridiculous we must look, running around in fancy duds and exercising with props indoors when there is so much to be done to help manifest the beautiful world we all want...
Go cut your grandmas lawn! Or better yet, turn it into a garden!

what one can do, all can do...

Jade

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: October 02, 2006 09:54AM

djatchi I have been looking for the info you wrote here for at least an year. It is GOLD!! Thank you. I did somre basic research but got discouraged when I did not find much info on excercises using your own body weight. I have been looking through Amazon for at keast an hour since reading your message. There is another book that might be even better. in one of the discussion forums a reviewer said that "Never Gymless" by Ross Enamait is even better than the book you mentioned. However Amazon doe not carry the book. It is only sold directly through the author's website at www.warriorforce.com/nevergymless.html . (I think its the author's website.)
Anyways, thank you again for the information. I feel much happier now and will be picking up one of the books soon!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables