Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Water Chestnuts & Sprouted legumes
Posted by: GoneBananas ()
Date: September 27, 2011 02:27PM

Hello All,

Starting a 30-day raw effort for the first time in years. Have been eating about 50% raw on a daily basis for quite a while, but I know I can do better than that.

Questions:

Are canned water chestnuts raw or cooked?

Found a 3 lb. bag of organic sprouted legumes at Costco. Do I just soak them a bit and incorporate into recipes like other sprouted beans? Is there any reason they would be indigestible that way?

Thanks!
Vicki

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Water Chestnuts & Sprouted legumes
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 27, 2011 08:09PM

Canned water chestnuts are cooked in the canning process; this is true of all canned goods.

Sprouted legumes, I should think, can be eaten the way prewashed spring mix lettuce from Costco can be eaten--right out of the bag. Everyone tolerates sprouted legumes and beans and grains differently. I say give them a go and see how you react. If your body doesn't like them, you can use them in a stir fy or soup, etc. Good luck smiling smiley

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: September 27, 2011 08:28PM

depends on the legume, best are lentils and mung beans, next are chick peas or adzuki beans. I wouldn't eat any other sprouted legume raw as you are risking indigestion and nausea. The risk is from a class of anti-nutrients known as hemagluttins and trypsin inhibitors. They are in the legume to prevent digestion before water but in the human body they prevent starch and protein absorption. Soaking and sprouting does not eliminate all of them from the legume the way cooking does. So proceed with caution. And more importantly, if you don't already own a copy of Becoming Raw, get one. No raw vegan should be without one. There is nothing comparable for raw vegans and no clearer concise explanation of what to do and how to do it than this book, guaranteed.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2011 08:30PM by pborst.

Date: September 28, 2011 01:46AM

Hi Tamukha!

Thank you for the feedback. Sorry to hear the water chestnuts are cooked--I like to crunch on them. smiling smiley I did try a few of the beans on my marinated vegetables today, and they were not too appetizing. I may have to hand them over to my husband to make soup. Still, I was very impressed that Costco had such an item!

Vicki

Date: September 28, 2011 02:01AM

Paul,

Thank you for this input. I checked the bag, and it has exactly the sprouted legumes you mentioned: mung beans, adzuki, and green lentils. However, I didn't find them palatable.

Regarding the book you recommended, this is one I do not have! I have quite a few, but you indicated that this one has extra value, so I will order it.

I did very well today. I'm excited!

Vicki

Date: September 28, 2011 02:06PM

Hey Paul!

I just checked my bookshelf and realized I already own Becoming Vegan! Will try reading it now. smiling smiley

Thanks,
Vicki

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables