Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

We should not live further than thousand miles from Equator
Posted by: rab ()
Date: October 17, 2011 11:48PM

...says Doug Graham.

So, if that is the case, if our food and our bodies are made for such a climate, how do we stay warm in the winter (further than thousand miles)? How is your food different in the winter?

I am cold already...no grapes or dates (my favourite food) help that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2011 11:49PM by rab.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: We should not live further than thousand miles from Equator
Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: October 18, 2011 04:59AM

Mine is 2,838 miles. Yes, the quality of the food can be an issue at times. I am surviving.

Calculators:
[cosinekitty.com]
[www.convertunits.com]

What's your distance?

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 18, 2011 11:37AM

I don't think so...
[ca.news.yahoo.com]

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 18, 2011 03:11PM

My food isn't different in the winter.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 18, 2011 06:01PM

With Dr. Graham, I have found there's a lot of, um wheat and a bit of chaff, and it's important to discern the difference and keep the former smiling smiley

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: October 18, 2011 10:52PM

Amazingly enough I am living about as far away from the equator as rawgosia,I thought she was way closer, but I was wrong. I used to live 6500 miles from the equator. And yes, fresh food quality was sometimes an issue, but occationally one could get lucky and get some really good stuff. But more than likely one had to go to a very special store, and pay offensive amounts of money to get decent fruit or veggies. Like $9-16 a lb for peppers air direct from holland. I never understood that one, if they were grown in a greenhouse in holland, why wasn't that just done locally?

Otherwise most people just ate things from a can or frozen, or the occational good banana or apple. Sprouts were always popular to get something fresh. Most people in the subarctic were not vegetarian, but there were a few.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: October 21, 2011 04:18AM

I agree, there is hardly any good looking up fruit in the PNW. Maybe if you like apples. Or tiny berries.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: October 23, 2011 07:31AM

I have not read Graham but is this because of some magnetic fields or radiation the equator provides otherwise if it just fresh food supply that is non sense.
The tools and technology of particular time in history determine the food supply.
Food can be shipped from one part of the globe to another in hours or days, and we have indoor gardening, hydroponics. Prehistoric man did not have much, he had to resort to fire, grains

Posted by: Robin-811 ()
Date: October 23, 2011 03:05PM

He's probably right. What does paradise look like? A white beach in a hot climate, with palm and fruit trees and vegetables in abundance. We get exercise from playing all day in between meals, walking, climbing trees, swimming.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: October 23, 2011 11:50PM

I donna know about that! I thought paradise looked something like a redwood grove in mendicino california. Or the high desert after it rains with the flowers coming out.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 24, 2011 02:59PM

Right, Mislu, my paradise does not involve sharks! The point is, our ancestors migrated away from the equator for a variety of reasons, so the argument is obsolete, anthropologically.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 24, 2011 04:56PM

Dag-nabbit, where's the "like" button on this thing?!

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: November 01, 2011 03:22PM

No more talking about paradise when I'm stuck inside on a cold winter-like day.

I've noticed my needs are a *lot* different in the dead of winter in New England. A lot more protein and fat, while in the summer I go periods on just fruit. Last winter I started cooking a little after being initially comically terrified of it. But it worked out- some soups and stews. My body doesn't go for the raw veggies in general, but light cooking seems to make them a bit more palatable.

And for fruit in the colder months I think I go for more dense fruit, like sapotes and dates, rather than the light stuff like melons and papayas. Seems to make sense. Persimmons are rocking right now. That's a perfect in-between fall fruit. And how fun to have a whole tray, and they all ripen at different paces (for some unkown reason). Yay, I found a ripe one! Will the persimmon spirit bare ripe fruit today?

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: November 01, 2011 04:56PM

Apart from other issues, how was the "limit", 1000 miles set? Seems a little too round for a science based #?

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: November 01, 2011 11:28PM

Have you guys looked at an atlas to see how incredibly impracticable that would be? That section of the planet is over 9/10 water, and most of the land is in the worst part of Africa as far as climate goes...

[go.hrw.com]

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: November 01, 2011 11:55PM

Well, I find that my under 3,000 miles is a bit too far. The fruit further up North in Australia is way better and cheaper. But perhaps in other countries this is not such a problem. Australia seems to be expensive for fruit lovers.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: November 02, 2011 01:25PM

quack quack.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 04, 2011 06:14PM

oh wow there is lots of cool fruit in the pacific north west (PNW) not just apples and little berries smiling smiley

plums, cherries, pears, blueberries, salmonberries, raspberries, blackberries, peaches, nectarines, kiwis

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 04, 2011 06:54PM

oops forgot figs and grapes and strawberries grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2011 06:56PM by Jgunn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables