Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Teeth and raw foods
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 07, 2011 08:16AM

Wow Cherimoya kid, thx for that (not the avenging disco godfather bit lol), at times my teeth are sensitive too, so I'll try it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 07, 2011 12:54PM

Vitamin D? I can see the connection with calcium absorption and metabolism. However, I thought vitamin K was also involved with remineralization of teeth, perhaps more important? In particular the mk-4 form, which your body can make from plant forms.

Date: November 07, 2011 01:56PM

Mislu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vitamin D? I can see the connection with calcium
> absorption and metabolism. However, I thought
> vitamin K was also involved with remineralization
> of teeth, perhaps more important? In particular
> the mk-4 form, which your body can make from plant
> forms.

I definitely have noticed a difference with my teeth when using vitamin D. I can't say I've ever supplemented with vitamin K. It's my understanding that fermented foods are very rich in vitamin K, and I eat a LOT of fermented foods, so I imagine I'm getting plenty that way.

Date: November 07, 2011 03:11PM

There's an article on Natural News about this [www.naturalnews.com]
I don't think I'll be grinding up any egg shells to drink (umm...) and I do have sluggish liver issues so I might not use the comfrey either but the info is interesting so here it is for you anyhow.

Date: November 07, 2011 04:59PM

cherimoya_kid wrote:
----------------------------------------
> I eat a LOT of fermented foods, so I
> imagine I'm getting plenty that way

Hmmm so, would that be home brew or what??? LOL.

Date: November 07, 2011 10:57PM

Eggshells? gack! who comes up with this stuff? I think I tried eating an eggshell when I was a teenager as someone said the same thing about it being a source of calcium and minerals. All I can say is I never developed a habit out of eating eggshells!

The only other person I can specificially name as someone recommending eggshell is Bear Grylls from 'Man vs. Wild'. It was when on one of his adventures he found two tiny wild bird eggs and he ate the whole thing entirely, advising that one would replace lost calcium from eggshell.

It seems like most people would have a difficult time eating eggshells because of the large amount of calcium carbonate. when doing the search I found a chemistry problem about it.
[wwwchem.csustan.edu]
Doesn't really answer the question directly, but the conclusion seems to hint that its a bad idea...

Date: November 07, 2011 11:03PM

Coco,
Sorry I immediately launched into criticism. I should have thanked you for at least posting potential solutions and options for consideration for natural tooth regeneration. I will have to read it more carefully. The comfrey part sounds interesting, but maybe not so much the eggshell. Do you know of any other source of minerals that is balanced, high in appropriate minerals, but a bit closer to a food most people would think of as 'food'? Do you think a high mineral green might do it? or maybe some algae? I am also thinking of the product 'vitamineral green'. Which is a combination of various greens, herbs and similiar things.

Posted by: ivac ()
Date: November 07, 2011 11:03PM

Use a Waterpic at night before bed - makes your mouth feel so fresh and clean. After eating, rinse with water. Just use a very soft brush and water the rest of the time.

Date: November 08, 2011 04:25AM

Healing clays and dolomite are very useful. I speak as someone who has healing his own very painful tooth sensitivity. Greens can be helpful too, but they are hard to digest in large amounts. Green juices can work, but they tend to stain the teeth.

Plenty of animals, from birds to elephants, etc., will eat healing clays in nature, for minerals and also to bind toxins. It may not be a food, but it definitely has its place in a natural diet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2011 04:27AM by cherimoya_kid.

Date: November 08, 2011 08:52AM

Yes, animals do eat dirt sometimes, I just didn't know why, but I assumed it was because of some healing or nutritional element. And mate or lassey (cherimoya kid) posts that contribute, like your posts on this topic are very welcome...ok

Date: November 08, 2011 11:30PM

I can't believe it, my partner wants to go on a 'fruit cleansing' diet after his mother moves. He wants to do it for a week, just fruit. I told him a week is just barely enough time to even adjust to any dietary change. I suppose I shouldn't have said that.

What do you all thing? would a week do anything beneficial? or would it just be more stress doing it and suddenly going back to the same old, same old? I sometimes wonder what he is thinking when he suggests things. Go on it for a week to 'cleanse' but then go back to the usual stuff again after that?

I am finding his motivation for suggesting it kind of suspect. One it was because of his criticism about me, after using the restroom. He didn't like the smell, and figured I needed cleaning out. The other is that after his mother moves, we won't have access to her kitchen for food preparation. At this point he doesn't mind cooking things, as long as its NOT at home.

Its nearly vegan foods, but cooked that we eat at home. I don't know its an improvement I guess that he wants to go raw, and its kind of what I wanted to do, but somehow it just doesn't feel completely right because he doesn't like the smell, and is particular about real or imagined messes in the house. He expects things to stay impossibly inhumanly clean. Eating and other life processes are usually kind messy, even under the best of circumstances.

Sigh, I guess I shouldn't complain. Raw is cleaner for the most part as long as juicing and dehydrating aren't involved. I scrubbed my MIL's oven racks for her last week, that was a total drag. I guess its fine by me if our oven never gets used. But even just heating up water for tea is a big deal for him, as far as if any water drops spills, or if I don't put the tea bag immediately into the waste basket etc....

Date: November 08, 2011 11:53PM

Well, a one day fast has benefits but the trouble with this is that people think it's license to treat their body like garbage all the time and then fast to repair it, lol. It's certainly better to make incremental improvements in diet and lifestyle than throw your whole system off for a week with a radical change.

Date: November 08, 2011 11:58PM

Thank you coco for the loving advice. I was kind of thinking the same thing. But I am curious about starting things off with just fruit. I honestly have never done a fruit only anything. Actually I did about a 4 day apple monodiet. That was basically without transition before and after, but I was eating way better then in general.

He told me something the other day. He actually misses me ordering stuff online, special stuff that is difficult to find elsewhere. Like truely raw cashews, jungle peanuts, special raw seaweed, sun dried olives etc... I never new that he liked them so much. I guess he never appeciated it until I stopped ordering. I guess I just sort of gave up once we moved here. He didn't seem to impressed with the stuff at the time, so I thought he would never miss it. Who knew?

Date: November 09, 2011 12:04AM

What a great opportunity to order something fun and interesting, once a month or so? A special treat you two can share... That's a great way to get yourselves excited about trying new things.
And as for fruit only, he can expect to spend a great deal of time in the bathroom, it's going to clean his system out and how!

Date: November 09, 2011 02:34AM

Coco,
I am not so sure that he thought this out completely. It might however just do the trick for a problem he had complained about a few days before. I am thinking that a bit more of a transition might be better.

What about general vegan nutrition, rather than just cleansing. How would we do that?

Date: November 09, 2011 03:07AM

I would not worry any more about nutrition when switching to a healthier diet that you did with the previous diet, it's bound to be better.
If that's really a concern tracking with a site like fitday for a while to gain an understanding of balance is a good idea.
I think D3 and B12 are good supplements for everyone to take, meat eaters included.

Date: November 09, 2011 11:34PM

I agreee with coco, a one week fruit fast will do him good, and really get things moving haha. And fruit doesn't take anywhere near the energy it takes to digest other food, so in a way it actually will be a cleanse.

Mislu - How do you get along with the fastidiousness regarding mess and cleanliness? I'd find that pretty stressful.

Cheers,
geo

Date: November 10, 2011 12:16AM

Geo,
Sometimes its stressful, but the good part is that hes generally very loving, and has his act together, pays bills on time, extremely honest, and loyal. I do like that it does make for a pleasant home environment,but sometimes I wonder if the cost outweighs the outcome. For instance he just turned on a fan because he says he smells stuff coming up from the people downstairs. My threshold for the smell is lower, so I sometimes find the sound irritating. I often entertain the fan being on for awhile, but turn it off after I percieve the smell to be gone.

I am NOT looking forward to the transition to being exclusively here in our apartment. We have been using his mothers kitchen for making meals because shes a little more relaxed about food preparation. So far we really haven't had anything here other than cut up apples, some bars, he insists we eat over the sink as to not make a mess. He doesn't realize it, but its pathological and not healthy to have such a strict code of clean. Food isn't simply stuffing something into your body, and he often treats it that way, even more than I do. Well, unless we go to a resturant and he wants something fancy, then hes all over me about eating too fast.

Date: November 10, 2011 10:04AM

Mislu - That's pretty difficult to imagine for many people, but I guess it's all relative as you say (he's very loving etc). I've been that way in the past, as I was almost the same, plus, I had OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). I'm not saying that your bo has that, but I do understand how he feels to some degree, as I also understand that his experience is unique.

On a positive side, I worked hard to overcome my obsessions, and it took quite some time, but I changed, and no longer have those compulsions. I have become a different, better person IMO. If you would like any more feedback, I'm happy to tell of my experience.

Cheers,
geo

Date: November 10, 2011 07:41PM

we are both working on being better about things. I am amazed I have been here all day without his 'supervision'. I haven't burned down the house, so i guess I am responsible. He also made me a plate of stuff to eat while he was gone. We also have a plate of whole fruit on the counter, so I guess we are on our way to adjusting. Hes been very busy helping with moving, allowing me to study at home. I really appreciate that. We are going to go out and get something to eat soon, and when we come back i will have to help move some heavy stuff. I appreciate the input.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: November 10, 2011 08:27PM

Date: November 11, 2011 01:33AM

Wow, thats not good press for raw foods.How could that be? My teeth felt cleaner on raw foods, my breath sweeter. But I didn't attempt it for that long. 39 mos is just over three years. What could account for this?

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 11, 2011 02:20AM

How about this book?[www.amazon.com]

Date: November 15, 2011 10:13AM

Once I forgot to floss'n'brush before I visited my dentist. Well, my teeth were filled with the greens haha. I apologised to him, and he guessed that I eat raw food and said that they would in no way harm my teeth. On the contrary, he thought my teeth would thank me. But he did say that fruit and fruit juice may cause a problem.

Posted by: vegmichelle ()
Date: November 17, 2011 05:29PM

Hey there,

Really good questions. In my experience, there is not "one answer fits all" out there when it comes to raw foods. Some raw foods may help some people with some dental problems, while others may just need the help of a dental professional. The general rule is that if you are eating healthy, you are far less likely to develop dental problem when compared to those who are eating unhealthy. However, if your partner already has some serious dental issue that requires medical attention, he should probably seek medical help. Again, this is my personal opinion.
Moreover, I don't really believe in diets that advise you to eat a smaller variety of foods, unless we are talking about a brief detox. Since eating varied assortments of fresh produce is considered essential to good health, I wouldn't advise him to live on an avocado, cucumber and tomato salad, but to include many other raw foods in his diet, including sprouts, nuts, seeds, fermented products and green leafy vegetables.

Keeping it raw at [rawfoodhealthwatch.com]

Date: November 26, 2011 10:42PM

Well, we never did do a fruit mono diet, or do anything but stay mostly vegetarian. We did recently cut way back on dairy of all types. So we are not mostly vegan, but not quite all raw.

His teeth have progressed to worse. He had a temporary crown put on, that caused some infection, and hes now had part one of a root canal done on that tooth. He is going to have part two done next week. I feel so bad. I should have never said anything, and just had him take care of himself as he saw fit. I never realized that the natural healing thing only works as an entire package. You simply can't prevent a problem thats in the works without a total committment. His idea is that if you just sort of follow the healthy eating you can have the usual crap from time to time and be fine. It doesn't appear to work that way. So, if you have standard consciousness about food and living, I can see now that you need standard consciousness health care to do with it, which often requires heavy medication and invasive procedures from time to time.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: November 27, 2011 02:03AM

Don't blame yourself we are all trying are best to evolve and learn how to live, dam we humans are stupid lol. Q-10 is super good for the gums it is one of the few great nutrients that actually work for most everyone and you can really see the results. Unfortunately with teeth when the damage is done its done as far as I know. If you are eating a raw or semiraw diet you should be getting some calcium but surely keep studying the subject to learn how to absorb it best. There is a GREAT suppliment from Garden of Life Raw Calcium that will get your partner all the calcium he needs with no worries. Saying alkaline also helps and is nessesary to have good bone health. There is calcium in nuts and if you soak them you will benefit from it the most. You two should do wheatgrass juice so you know you are getting most of your mircro nutrients and many other life giving properties.

Date: November 27, 2011 07:04AM

Calcium deficiency is rare, if ever, since so many vegies contain way more than dairy products. As far as I'm aware (from Blackmore's research), figs and dates contain the most calcium. Even lettuce has the approx the same amount as cows milk. Of all animal products, fish has the most, twice as much as cows milk. One source says that there has never been anyone with a legit' calcium deficiency, but the dairy industry has pushed it's products hard, so that most people are fearful of weak bones or disintegrating teeth. Remember, cows usually eat only green grass.....

Date: November 27, 2011 01:37PM

Interesting, then what is the association then with dental problems? He also takes extremely good care of his teeth, faithfully brushing, flossing, rinsing with mouthwash etc...

I don't take care as much, sometimes only floss once or twice a week. Brush every night of course. I hardly ever rinse with mouthwash. I occationally have a snack after brushing and don't brush again before going to bed. Usually its dried fruit, like goji berries. So I am curious, it seems like I should have way more dental problems.

I learned suprising things about cows. I suppose it depends on their environment what they will eat. Some cows in india were dying because they were eating plastic bags with residual juice or fruit peels in them, after someone discarded a mango snack. The country has been in the process of replacing the bag with a more cow friendly version. I watched a video last night of a hindu holy man feeding a cow ash from a cremation pyre. I was way surprised. The only reason I am sure he let it eat it is because it was interested. I suppose it really needed the minerals?

Date: November 27, 2011 02:35PM

It is genetics too, my family have soft teeth and though I take good care of mine, faithfully flossing and using a recommended electric toothbrush, sensitive tooth paste and mineral rebuilding rinse, I still have issues. I've read about an acidic mouth environment having an impact so try to rinse with water after eating anything. Also don't brush right after eating when acids etc can have weakened the enamel of the teeth making brushing too abrasive.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables