Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

being a nutritionist or other type of raw food related profesional
Posted by: johndela1 ()
Date: October 04, 2006 06:55PM

I have seen a lot of people here who are extemely well spoken and knowledgeable. How many of you have a career that is related to nutrition? I have worked as a computer programmer for the last 10 years and although at one time I really loved it, my interest in nutrition and health has way eclipsed my interest in technology. I want to make a career change. I have recently gotten my certification as a personal trainer (ISSA) to try to show some formal education (my past education isn't health related). I want to also become some kind of certified nutritionist to show people that I am not a total nut even though I will probably disagree with a lot of what is taught.

My question is. If i am a person that is moderatly inteligent and has a passion for researching health issues and ready to work hard shouldn't I be able to making a living or create value doing this? I am open to further education or what ever I need to do. I feel like I currently know enough to help people.

If anyone here is doing this, how did you start up? Should I start advertising or something? I dont' even know how to describe what I want to do. I tell people I am trying to become a personal trainer that also has a big emphasis on diet and eating habbits.

I know there are a ton of unhealthy people out there and many of them want to change but really don't know what to do. I'm not looking to get rich, just make a decent living doing what I love most.

Is this unrealistic?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: being a nutritionist or other type of raw food related profesional
Posted by: The Vej ()
Date: October 04, 2006 09:33PM

Sure you can! I think the nutrition field should be a lot of chemistry, biology, anatomy and physiology therefore there won't be people telling you that you must eat this or that. They would just tell you what happens to certain substances when our digestive system interacts with them. I'm willing to bet that the program will have you take low level nutrition classes about the "food pyramid" but that should be really easy to just bs and pass. I'm looking into that kind of a job too! More on the nutrition side of things because I hate my physical therapy/anatomy teacher. I don't want to learn all of the body's motions etc. but I guess I am but I don't really like it. The digestive processes are what interests me the most and would seem to pose the greatest advantage from a nutrition stand point I think. I'm usually wrong though cuz I'm 17.

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: October 04, 2006 09:52PM

if you put your heart and soul into it, I'm sure you can make yourself a career. Although location is important, and i suppose charisma.

Date: October 04, 2006 10:32PM

Where do you think is the best location? I live in Souther California. I have always wanted to move to Seattle though.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 04, 2006 11:16PM

-You'd have to check your local state laws....but in most places....you don't need any credentials to call yourself a nutritionist...although I Dietician requires at least a 4 year degree. There are also various agencies (which I cannot vouch for) that offer nutritionist certifications. I'll do some research...and see if any have a decent reputation....but it would be one other thing to stick in your belt. They piece of paper only gets you in the door anyhow! winking smiley

-Why don't you simply get hired on as a personal trainer? As for going into business for yourself...it would depend on your resources......your goals....and having an interested clientelle. I would never go into business for myself without a definite clientel and need for my product / service....demonstrated beforehand.

-YOU are your best advertisement. THAT and a few business cards! Ha! ha! You should always start a business small. Print up some business cards that say, "Raw Power". Show some weights and some fruits / vegetables on your card. List: "Personal Trainer" and "Raw Food Coach". Have catch-slogan like "Powerful Personal Fitness & Nutrion". Spend another couple of hundred bucks and have some good colorful advertising stickers with your business name and phone number on your car. Get a website....and a simple tri-fold flyer made that you can give out at functions. Then...start attending lots of exercise functions: races, fun-runs, sporting events, etc. Make sure that YOU look buff and fit....and then just take it to the streets! Start making up 'Personal Guidance Packets" to give to your clients.

-Just some suggestions. What do you think?

-David Mason

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: October 04, 2006 11:44PM

I think David makes some excellent points, as always!

You don't need a qualification to teach people raw food! That's what I'm doing, runing workshops for small groups from my flat, giving them basic nutrition info and showing them how to make a selection of raw foods using a blender and food processor. I also advertise "Raw Food Support/Coaching" but have only had one taker for that so far.

If you have any more specific questions, let me know.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: October 05, 2006 12:34AM

Are you considering a consultant role strictly from a vegan/raw point of view,or are you also considering incorporating other modalities such as herbalist, homeopathics, aromatherapy, etc?

If so, there are several institutions--some better known than others than others--that offer certifications in those specialties.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: Holly ()
Date: October 05, 2006 01:10AM

johndel1-
I live in the Seattle area, John. Just north of Seattle is the city of Kenmore and has the supposedly number 1 naturalpathic school in the country. www.bastyr.edu
However, many people outside of naturalpathy don't find a graduate from Bastyr to be genuinely knowledgeable. They don't trust naturalpathics. The University of Washington also has a nutrition program.
Naturalpathy is big here, so consequently there is a lot of competition. Don't let that deter you though. There is also a bigger market here. smiling smiley
Maybe you don't need a degree to teach people, but it doesn't hurt.

Date: October 05, 2006 04:06PM

Pistachio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you considering a consultant role strictly
> from a vegan/raw point of view,or are you also
> considering incorporating other modalities such as
> herbalist, homeopathics, aromatherapy, etc?
>
I'm %100 raw but not vegan. I eat egg yolks and sashimi (mostly wild salmon)

I would show people the info that is pro vegan and con for vegan. Same with my diet and let them choose. Even if they didn't want to be %100 raw, I'd work with them.

I don't take any herbs or homeopathics. I've seen clinical studies on homeoapathy that showed no differnt results than taking water. What I mean by homeoapthy is the strict definition of substances dilluted thousands of times till there are no origainal molecules left but simply 'energy' from the origial molecules. I know many people use this term to mean other things, but even in that area, Homeopathy rests on the premise of treating sick persons with extremely diluted agents that - in undiluted doses - are deemed to produce similar symptoms in a healthy individual. (see [en.wikipedia.org] for more) I don't know enough about it to recommend something. I am mostly focused on nutrition and moderate exercise including plenty of mobility stuff like different kinds of stretching (isometric, pnf, static).

I don't know anything about aromatherapy, so I wouln't use that either.

Posted by: The Vej ()
Date: October 05, 2006 09:16PM

I think you need some kind of credentials or nobody is going to listen to you. And if I learned how to spell I might make more sense. Unless I spelled credentials correctly. smiling smiley

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: October 06, 2006 02:46PM

Wow davidzanemason that is some excellent advice!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables