Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bulk sprouting seeds?
Posted by: apc ()
Date: November 10, 2011 04:58PM

Hello,

This is my first and very happy to be here - what a great forum.

So here is my first question.

I live in North East England and am a hard core Vegan for 10 years and vegetarian before that - I am 55.

I have given up going to restaurants, especially with guests, because I always end up having to send the waiter back to the kitchen umpteen times to confirm the ingredients are "sound".

Anyway, I have decided to go full Raw Vegan based around a sprouted seed and bean diet which I have concluded provides the best all round nutrition and health benefits.

These then are my opening questions:

1. A good selection of sprouts, Alfalfa etc, seemto offer exceptional and complete nutrition except for maybe calories for energy.

What is the best raw energy food option to supplement sprouts?

2. I have been looking around on the 'net hard for serious bulk suppliers of seeds and pulses for sprouting, only to find that most suppliers sell in the little packets for novelty use - the best I can find is 1kg bags, and they are expensive.

I am looking for mega-kilos smiling smiley

I figure that there must be seed growers who supply "the trade" who then re-package in to small lots for a profit.

Can anyone please point me in the direction of a true bulk sprouting seed supplier, preferably in the UK, but I would import from abroad if necessary, who can supply serious bulk quantities of sprouting seeds?

3. What would you suggestas a good slection of seed/pulse varieties for a complete diet?

I have already short-listed the usual Alfalfa, Broccoli, Beetroot, Fenugreek, and so on, What else should I add to my list?

Thanks.

And I look forward to contributing here.

Adrian.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bulk sprouting seeds?
Posted by: madinah ()
Date: November 10, 2011 08:29PM

I prefer indoor greens such as sunflower greens, buckwheat greens, and the grasses such as wheatgrass, barley grass. I buy bulk online and grow them indoor.
[www.wheatgrasskits.com]
[sproutpeople.org]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 10, 2011 08:49PM

Adrian,

The places madinah posted are great, but I don't know if they ship to the UK. Here's a place that appears comparable:

[www.wheatgrass-uk.com]

Good additional sprouts are radish, sunflower, buckwheat, and lentils. If you are not going to eat sweet fruits for calories, you will have to get calories from raw fats, such as nuts, avocados and coconut oil, or from a good ratio of sprouted or cooked beans. Good luck and good health!

Date: November 10, 2011 10:05PM

Thanks very much for your replies so far - very useful.

Question - can wheat sprouts be eaten as raw sprouts?

I know that wheat grass needs to be properly juiced - I am looking at that option as well.

What pulses/beans fo have a high calorific value?

Thanks again.

Adrian.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 10, 2011 10:36PM

Adrian,

Wheat sprouts can be eaten raw; I find them too starchy, but they're good ground into a paste and used for "health bread" type dehydrated breads.

Garbanzo beans and peas are calorie rich, but please consider the higher calorie ratio of nuts, especially macadamias, Brazil nuts and cashews.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: November 10, 2011 10:39PM

Sprouted wheat can be eaten raw and you can make wheat breads with a dehydrator
some are sold in health store. When I soak wheat for wheatgrass and keep some of the berries for eating raw or use them in the smoothies.

Date: November 11, 2011 08:01AM

Thanks again everyone.

I like the idea of wheat because it can be eaten as sprouts, grass or even grown as a crop to harvest easily.

I also like the idea of wheat sprouts because they can be purchased in large quantities from.

Is there any particular type of wheat I should buy? There are so many varieties.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: November 11, 2011 01:29PM

There are two types of wheat to buy it depend on what you want to do.
hard winter wheat is for sprouting and wheatgrass
soft wheat berries is good for making flour
[www.purcellmountainfarms.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables