Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Is Raw Fruitarianism the Best Path?
Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: December 26, 2011 12:19AM

The Jury is still out. I thought I'd present Anne Osborne to those who don't know her, and might like to try a 100% Raw Fruit Diet. Anne has been 'Total Fruit' (mostly mono) for over 20 years, and has raised two healthy Boys as Fruitarians.
Here she is on day 55 of a mono-Orange Diet.
I've been having Orange Smoothies here lately....peeled, but with seeds left in......WY

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Raw Fruitarianism the Best Path?
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 26, 2011 02:57AM

I think there are a small percentage of the population that can fare well on a 100% fruitarian diet, perhaps less than 5% of the population that can fare well on a 100% raw vegan diet. The 80-10-10 is a high vegetable diet, with greens being about 5% of the caloric intake (more than 1 pound of greens a day).

Even smaller percentage are the people who can fare well on a 100% juice or liquidarian diet. And even smaller than that are those that can fare well with just water, and even smaller are those that don't even need the water.

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: December 26, 2011 11:46AM

Prana, you don't seriously believe that humans can live on just water or with no food? Whenever they have claimed that and been challenged to be followed, they have proved to be frauds.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: December 26, 2011 01:03PM

Did you catch this internet show BJ?

[www.davidblaine.com]

I just opened a bottle of White Rose lemon juice and it smells like laundry detergent. (Is it just me?) Fresh is better?

Date: December 26, 2011 01:51PM

I haven't. Can you summarise what it's about?

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: December 26, 2011 02:54PM

He fasted for 44 days on water and wrote in his journal. Of course the spectators and all else were part of the show, and the forum. Did you try youtube?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 26, 2011 06:51PM

In my opinion no, fruit is amazing and should be an integral part of pretty much anyones diet unless suffering from dysbiosis etc.

There is a difference between prolonged fasting such as David Blaine did and living soley off water. In my opinion again it isn't possible i haven't come across any of these breatharians which have proven to be true. The body can run on just water for so long but no water or food is not possible.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: December 26, 2011 07:21PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...... The body can run on
> just water for so long but no water or food is not
> possible.
There are a couple of documented cases in Yogananda's book "Autobiography of a Yogi". It's a Powerful book....sure to make an impression......WY

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: December 26, 2011 10:06PM

A lot of high fruit people look great and then they wake up one morning and it's like they've aged 20 years. I don't think that it's something to mess around with. If you're going to do it, take it seriously and look for signs that it might not be as beautiful long-term as it is short-term. For me, high fruit is great for cleansing while a nice combo of fruit, veg, herbs, superfoods, and suppies are ideal for sustaining life and for doing a protracted/gentle detox.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 26, 2011 10:49PM

I whole-heartedly agree with Prana. Once, I logically didn't think it was possible, but since then I've done a little research, and viewed most of Jerico Sunfire's vids, and read his book, I do believe it can be done.

It's a very slow process to fully detoxify your body, so that it works as it should. Although, I tend to believe that only a very small percentage of the population could reach the point of breathatianiam successfully.

Our heratige maybe a factor that prevents a person from achieving it, or psychological aspects could also hinder progress. Spiritual elements are spoken of, such as a sort of calling to a particular lifestyle.

'We don't know, what we don't know', so how could we be so sure that something isn't possible?

Date: December 26, 2011 11:02PM

HH....That was a great video of Anne explaining her 20+ years as a Fruitarian.
I was surprised to hear she rarely eats Greens....not enough to consider it part of her diet.
Here's her book if anyone is interested. I ordered one yesterday......WY

[www.webspawner.com]

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 26, 2011 11:13PM

HeavenHands Wrote:
> For me, high fruit is great for cleansing while a
> nice combo of fruit, veg, herbs, superfoods, and
> suppies are ideal for sustaining life and for
> doing a protracted/gentle detox.
>

I think this is a great way too!

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: December 26, 2011 11:51PM

WheatgrassYogi Wrote:
> There are a couple of documented cases in
> Yogananda's book "Autobiography of a Yogi". It's a
> Powerful book....sure to make an
> impression......WY

Some yogis and spirituals leaders teach that the body should not be properly fed, that we should only seek spiritual enlightenment at the expense of the nutritional need of the body, many have died very young, maybe that was their goal. Paramahansa Yogananda died at 60 [en.wikipedia.org] . I thing it is the wrong approach, we should feed body, mind, and spirit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2011 11:57PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: December 26, 2011 11:54PM

She's a beautiful person. Sort of like a fairy or something. I became raw vegan 5 years ago at the age of 39. I often wonder if it wouldn't have been easier for me if I had discovered it at an earlier age. I admittedly do worry about long-term fruitarians. We shall see. I think that in about 10 years we should have a large sample of long-termers to look at.

WheatgrassYogi Wrote:
> HH....That was a great video of Anne explaining
> her 20+ years as a Fruitarian.
> I was surprised to hear she rarely eats
> Greens....not enough to consider it part of her
> diet.
> Here's her book if anyone is interested. I ordered
> one yesterday......WY
>
> [www.webspawner.com]
> okonfruita.html

Date: December 27, 2011 12:00AM

It works for me so far. I don't live in an area where fruit grows abundantly. Being able to lessen my dependence on corporate fruit has been nice. But yeah, something about the combination seems to keep me grounded. I think that I depleted my jing to a point where I need extra help that unripe fruit grown in depleted soil can't provide.

If you want to be cool, eat what Jodi eats. smiling smiley

Jgunn Wrote:
> HeavenHands Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > For me, high fruit is great for cleansing while
> a
> > nice combo of fruit, veg, herbs, superfoods,
> and
> > suppies are ideal for sustaining life and for
> > doing a protracted/gentle detox.
> >
>
> I think this is a great way too!

Date: December 27, 2011 12:54AM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> Some yogis and spirituals leaders teach that the
> body should not be properly fed, that we should
> only seek spiritual enlightenment at the expense
> of the nutritional need of the body
I think rather than improperly feeding the Body on purpose, they are just not concerned....many so engrossed in the Spiritual, they are unaware of what they're eating and drinking.

> many have died very young, maybe that was their goal. Paramahansa Yogananda died at 60
I Love him, but no one can accuse Yogananda of ever skipping a meal. They served Vegetarian fare at his Foundation, and, by his pictures, he partook......WY

Date: December 27, 2011 01:53AM

WY
I was excited about Paramahansa Yogananda then did some readings, it seems very questionable his teachings, I do not feel like buying the book. That is not yoga.

[www.amazon.com]
I am very selective when it comes to spiritual pursuits, I hope.

I think the new findings in nutrition, fruits, greens, living food, exercise, regular fasting, when combined with spiritual pursuits will yield greater awakening where the body does not have to suffer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2011 02:04AM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 27, 2011 03:14AM

I like Autobiography of a Yogi (AOAY). Osho once said why does a yogi need an autobiography? And the review on Amazon made a good point, that Vivekananda and Ramakrishna are the real yoga. But AOAY has an innocence to it and is fun, and some of the claims, while not being commonplace, I don't see as impossible.

Date: December 27, 2011 04:46AM

Prana Wrote:
> I like Autobiography of a Yogi
I do too. Paramhansa Yogananda did it his way. He sure got some harsh criticism at Amazon.
I just ordered the original 1946 edition from Crystal Clarity Publishers......WY

[crystalclarity.com]

Date: December 27, 2011 05:16AM

TM ( Transcendental Meditation) claimed that by meditating people could learn to levitate. When people joined they found no one was able to levitate - they just sat cross-legged on a mat and bounced up and down for a minute or so till they got tired. That was the end of their claim about being able to levitate!

I find that what Nelson Mandela did was more spiritual - he gave up 25 years of his life in jail to free the blacks when he could have lived a life of luxury as a successful practicing solicitor.

Similarly Diane Fossey was murdered saving the mountain gorillas when she could have been well fed and living a good life somewhere in England or America. And now we have Paul Watson of the Sea Shepherd in the Antarctic putting himself and his crew between the whaling fleet and their harpoons and the whales, as opposed to some esoteric well fed gurus with questionable unsubstantiated claims which usually prove to be bogus!!!

In the past I too believed everything I read. In the 70's I enjoyed reading Lobsang Rampas books about his Tibetan upbringing, his operation to open his ' third eye ', astral traveling, as well as the other ideas he raised, but when he was investigated he turned out to be an Englishman named Cyril Hoskin who had never been to Tibet!!!

Just a few comments that are not meant to be argumentative - just informative.

Date: December 27, 2011 06:42AM

I have not read Paramhansa Yogananda but if the comments on Amazon are true it is not worth reading, I will consider it garbage. I have been following the path of initiation for more than 30 years, the true initiates do not say these things, they just dont.

The book is heavy on supernatural phenomenon that seem to happen as often as the trains come in...and nobody is very much surprised. Swamis and Gurus appear and disappear out of thin air, people come back from the dead, and one guy even splits himself and two and teleports himself wherever he wants. I'm really surprised that so many people buy into this kind of thing. It's a magic show Paramhansa Yogananda is selling, not true spirituality.

The message I gleaned from all of this is that if you are destined to become a saint, you will be capable of supernatural feats. If not, you can learn (but it will be harder). How does this help mankind in general? Parlor tricks encourage the wrong message of a good, spiritual practice: compassion for others, and right living for the self.

Date: December 27, 2011 08:57AM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> I think the new findings in nutrition, fruits,
> greens, living food, exercise, regular fasting,
> when combined with spiritual pursuits will yield
> greater awakening where the body does not have to
> suffer.
I would agree that Diet alone will transport one to the Heavenlies. The 'key' is to find that Diet...and the proper amount to fuel the Trip......WY

Date: December 27, 2011 09:55AM

WY
To me the key, the right diet has already been found and it is on this forum.
We have learned that SAD diet is the wrong approach, we have learned we need a cleansing diet that does not overburden the body with many hours of digestion.
Many of us in this forum can live on cleansing diet of fruits and greens for days, weeks, with proper exercise and fasting, the body is free to engage in spirituals pursuits with no pain, no disease.
BUDDHISM sees suffering at the heart of the world. But many of the sufferings are our own doing and mostly related to diet. The proper diet is the right foundation to spirituality, not suffering.
Many spirtual seekers just ate rice for days or even years. That is suffering

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2011 10:08AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: December 27, 2011 01:01PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> Many spiritual seekers just ate rice for days or even years. That is suffering
You have hit the nail on the head. They could have reached a higher Spirituality. However, proper Diet cannot be found at this Forum. Small items like Onion and Garlic will keep the Body bound. Many posters here feel it's okay, as well as other godawful things.
Go get um RawP......WY

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 27, 2011 01:44PM

The purpose of meditation, yoga, austere diet etc are all to free the mind to allow realization of the self (the ultimate goal) but they are only tools along the path. It is more than possible to reach enlightenment without any effort, without utilizing any practices outside of the mind. These tools are aids for those who need them (most of us) but it's foolish to get caught up in thinking that they ARE the path. To become immersed in seeking the perfection of diet, meditation, asanas etc is to become attached to illusion.
What I'm saying is that while discipline can be an important step in freeing the mind for higher function, those things in themselves are not the goal. They are ultimately meaningless.

Date: December 27, 2011 02:05PM

There has to be a middle ground. The yogists neglected to feed the body properly, and the health minded and nutritionist focus on the body alone. The body is the temple of the soul, feeding it properly cannot be neglected, the soul is the life of the body, the body has no purpose without it.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 27, 2011 03:03PM

Agree with coco: Process? Or product?

It's interesting to me as someone raised Eastern Orthodox, which requires frequent fasting and has a rather recondite theology, how idealized the process of abnegation for spiritual fulfillment seems be to some people.

Still, I wish all travelers success in their respective undertakings smiling smiley

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: December 27, 2011 03:18PM

To all the breatharians I want to know why?
If feeding the body was not important what was the purpose of incarnation in the first place?

Date: December 27, 2011 04:34PM

The trend toward emotional aggression in raw veganism is far more detrimental to spiritual pursuits than the use of onion or garlic. Interesting that the standard-bearers of the new aggression also forbid the use of the word garlic on their web-site. I don't think that totally abstaining from garlic or onion has any effect on spirituality unless a person is hyper-sensitive to those foods or over-indulges.

WheatgrassYogi Wrote:
> RawPracticalist Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Many spiritual seekers just ate rice for days or
> even years. That is suffering
> You have hit the nail on the head. They could have
> reached a higher Spirituality. However, proper
> Diet cannot be found at this Forum. Small items
> like Onion and Garlic will keep the Body bound.
> Many posters here feel it's okay, as well as other
> godawful things.
> Go get um RawP......WY

Date: December 27, 2011 04:55PM

HeavenHands Wrote:
> The trend toward emotional aggression in raw
> veganism is far more detrimental to spiritual
> pursuits than the use of onion or garlic
Explain exactly what you mean by 'emotional aggression'. You must use Onion and Garlic, since I seem to have struck a Nerve?.......WY

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables