Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

10-15 Bananas and 10 Oranges a day's worth of food?
Posted by: confuzed ()
Date: October 09, 2006 03:12AM

im trying to see what a sample day of fruitarian food is.

if i am only able to get oranges and bananas and berries, can i have around 10-15 bananas in the morning, 10 or so oranges later, and a bunch buncha raspberries or various berries later? that would be at least 2000 calories im guessing..

is it healthy to stay with only mono fruits? is that bad longterm?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 10-15 Bananas and 10 Oranges a day's worth of food?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 09, 2006 10:39AM

Why would you want to tax your body with so much hybrid sugar?
[www.pioneerthinking.com]

Stay away from sweet fruits, they are hybrid and not good for you.
One banana a day is too much for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2006 10:54AM by djatchi.

Date: October 09, 2006 03:31PM

Confuzed...why are you letting other people dictate what you eat?

Why don't you simply go off on your own and learn for yourself what you like and what works for you?

You'll find you will learn so much more about yourself that way....and you won't stay so confuzed....

Why is your user name confuzed ...why do you claim that?

Date: October 09, 2006 06:13PM

wow.. ok the first answer just screwed up my life if its true..

the 2nd answer thank you TF1 i am going to do what i want but i like to ask questions to make sure im doing it the right or healthy way..

my idea of fruitarianism is just eating fruits whenever, always in groups like monos, but it doesn't matter. for example 10 peaches in the morning and like 15 apples at night or random fruits and such..

is this really bad? how come the first answer is so negative i thought fruitarians is something to strive for ?!?!?!?

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: October 09, 2006 06:48PM

Hi,

everything we eat these days are hybrids, you can't avoid them. If you think you are avoiding them, well, you're probably not. As for what David Wolfe has to say, well, not a great amount of scientific reasoning in the link, he seems to be under the impression their are non-hybrid strains of fruit plants left... I guess it depends how you define "hybrid"...

He also says "One final note: hybrid sweet fruit is still better for you than cooked food!". Soooo? What were we talking about again?

Well, eat what you want, gather information, but don't believe a word of it until you've tried and prooved it for yourself.

You idea of fruitarianism sounds good to me, keep it up, let us know how it treats you in the long term.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: October 09, 2006 07:09PM

confuzed....you will always find people that will tell you that being a fruitarian is not healthy....there will always be people telling you that no matter how you eat, it's not the right way. There is not one way that works for everyone. It's great to ask questions, but always do the research yourself instead of just listening to the advice of others. So, be a fruitarian and let us know how it works out for you! I think your idea sounds good.

Date: October 09, 2006 08:24PM

See....Confuzed....you already had the answer in you!

Don't worry....Fruitarianism has always been a sensitive much argued subject....you just didn't know that!

I'm surprised you've got off so lightly....a couple of years ago people would of jumped on you like a pack of rabid wolfes!!!!

Yoga mamas right just do your thang and share it with us!!!!

Don't forget .....there are no rules....just do what you enjoy....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2006 08:25PM by The Fruitarian One.

Posted by: Felix ()
Date: October 09, 2006 08:51PM

Questions for The Fruitarian One:

Do you eat only fruit? And what do you define as fruit? Any greens at all?

Thank you!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 09, 2006 10:02PM

Confuzed:

-You are asking the right questions! Soon you will have to do your own 'leg work' and report back to us! Soon you will have to offer the solutions that have worked for you! LOL.

-Fruitarian One's advice is always good (in my opinion). I have eaten nothing but fruits for several years now.......and am the healthiest guy I know. Everyone is on a spectrum. When you wake up one morning....and you decide you no longer WANT that drink....or WANT that cigarrette....or WANT that poor food choice........well....then you won't have to ASK yourself what is right. Do all the research...then ask yourself what YOU think are the highest things...and then go for them....and share the wealth of your experiences with others.

To answer your question (my experience):

1) I mono-eat....usually in-season fruits. So typical mostly involves whatever is in season...with some variation.

Lately:

Breakfast: 5 small avocadoes
Snack: 2 Peaches
Snack: Big cup of grapes
Snack: 2 Apples
Dinner: A Papaya

-Bless with success.

-David Mason

Date: October 09, 2006 11:50PM

I Just eat seeded fruit felix....no greens, etc.....

Date: October 10, 2006 06:31AM

davidzane can you tell me more? i would love to hear from someone whos only been eating fruits for years.. how is your skin? your overall physique? im just wondering how your look and such from your diet

Date: October 10, 2006 10:25AM

sodoffsocks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> everything we eat these days are hybrids, you
> can't avoid them. If you think you are avoiding
> them, well, you're probably not. As for what
> David Wolfe has to say, well, not a great amount
> of scientific reasoning in the link, he seems to
> be under the impression their are non-hybrid
> strains of fruit plants left... I guess it depends
> how you define "hybrid"...
>
> He also says "One final note: hybrid sweet fruit
> is still better for you than cooked food!".
> Soooo? What were we talking about again?
>
> Well, eat what you want, gather information, but
> don't believe a word of it until you've tried and
> prooved it for yourself.
>
> You idea of fruitarianism sounds good to me, keep
> it up, let us know how it treats you in the long
> term.
>
> Cheers,
> Ian.

You don't need a scientific research to realize that bananas are too sweet and unnatural and unhealthy. Just common sense

Posted by: shawnasong ()
Date: October 10, 2006 11:54AM

now I'M confuzed! I've always, especially lately, heard that bananas are "perfect foods" and literally "the next best thing to mother's milk"! I NEVER heard that they are "unnatural and unhealthy". To me, that is not "just common sense". Could someone (sodoffsocks) please explain this, or point me to some info on this topic? I really need/want to know....
Shawna

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: October 10, 2006 12:50PM

shawnasong Wrote:
> now I'M confuzed!

No need to be confuzed. It's just a difference of opinion. Some people (Doug Graham, et al) say bananas are the best thing since sliced bread and reccomend eating 10 to 20 per day. Others say we shouldn't eat any.

The fact is that they are hybridised, they don't have seeds, but that does not necessarily stop them being a healthy food, especially if you are very active and you are using the sugar.

I'm not generally into 10 to 20 per day, but at the moment I can eat up to 5 a day and they feel like a healthy food for me.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: October 10, 2006 02:36PM

I eat 3 bananas everyday and I feel GREAT. If you eat them, and they make you feel crummy, then don't! smiling smiley

Date: October 10, 2006 04:19PM

djatchi Wrote:
> You don't need a scientific research to realize
> that bananas are too sweet and unnatural and
> unhealthy. Just common sense

My common sense says, there is a yummy delicious raw fruit and I'd have to be crazy to leave it out of my diet. Of course, a wise man once said "common sense" was nothing more than the prejudists a person pickes up before the age of 18.

Here are some facts on bananas:
[en.wikipedia.org]

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: October 10, 2006 04:46PM

confuzed-

you're going to find there are a lot of different opinions on raw even on this board. some are going to be more vegetable oriented, others more fruit, and others you'll have no idea what they're eating b/c they dis everything!

there are conflicts w/ fat (David's 5 small avocados, while delicious and wonderful would be viewed as excessive) and a whole lot more!

Fruitarion one has it right. try it for a while, see how you feel, and adjust. some people can't do some foods, while your body might thrive on it. you'll probably find yourself going through seasons with the fruit! during the last trimester of my pregnancy i ate 5-6 bananas a day, before that i hadn't eaten them for a year or so b/c they gave me a slight rash on my face. When i wanted them while pregnant, no rash and they were delicious. and i ate them VERY RIPE and sweet and wonderful. my husband was mad at his banana stash disappearing in two days during that time. then my desire for them went away. now, i only eat them and avocados when i really want them and only them.

Come winter, enjoy the citrus. i went through 16lbs of oranges a week last winter, plus limes and grapefruit. no adverse side effects. just no colds.

So, hang out and read a lot before you take any opinions to heart. Too much sugar, too much fat, hybridized, organic, juicers, blenders, we debate them all here. Raw and Vegan is the theme, how it works for you is what makes it the best way to live and the challenge.

Peace-

Date: October 10, 2006 04:56PM

Mama Cass...speaking of citrus fruits...why in the world are all the oranges in the stores in my area just plain nasty?? Is anyone else finding this to be true?

And question about limes/lemons....how do you eat them? Just peel and eat???

Thanks - Kim

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: October 10, 2006 05:00PM

Kim-
no good oranges until winter really starts. i don't know where they're getting these, but the season is off. we tend to juice now, but they've been horrible for us too, and eat in the winter! i'm not buying until they look delicious again!

limes and lemons- also tend to juice. the acid can be bad for your teeth if you chew them. but juiced, they go on anything and mix with everything, veggie and fruit!

limes aren't bad now, but they are nigh impossible to peel. i have a citrus juicer that i use frequently, but not daily until the oranges and grapefruit come into season.

peace-
Mama Cass

Date: October 10, 2006 05:04PM

omg me too ^^^^ lol the oranges are disgusting. they are called organic "juice oranges" and they are all full of brown spots and the inside of them is super dry and it just like peels off.. lol...and most dont have seeds...

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 10, 2006 07:12PM

The oranges definitely get much better during the winter. Also, I am really loving the small mardarin style tangerines that come out during the winter, the satsumas and more recently the Murcott tangerines. Yum!

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: October 10, 2006 08:44PM

OOO I'm looking forward to those tangerines, then! Maybe I'll bring some for Christmas!

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: October 10, 2006 09:59PM

confuzed Wrote:
> im trying to see what a sample day of fruitarian
> food is.
>
> if i am only able to get oranges and bananas and
> berries, can i have around 10-15 bananas in the
> morning, 10 or so oranges later, and a bunch
> buncha raspberries or various berries later? that
> would be at least 2000 calories im guessing..
>
> is it healthy to stay with only mono fruits? is
> that bad longterm?

Why are you only able to get three fruits? Remember that the technical definition of fruitarian is "food containing seeds" so that includes almost everything in the produce section except the greens and roots.

Date: October 10, 2006 10:40PM

Heh, I guess this is going to depend on your definition of fruit. Bananas are false berries or accessory fruits, if you are count those as fruits, then you can also claim cashews are fruits as well (and i think Brazil nuts). Best stop now, or things might be even more confusing.

Posted by: Felix ()
Date: October 11, 2006 03:29PM

Thanks for your reply The Fruitarian One! smiling smiley

Date: October 12, 2006 01:28AM

10-15 Bananas and 10 Oranges a day's worth of food?
I would imagine more variety would be much more healthy.

Our ansectors were nomads and scavengers who had a much more vaired diet than that. I'd recommend more variety.

Personally if someone forced me to eat 10-15 bananas in a day I'd want to puke.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: October 12, 2006 03:54AM

I am fruitarian and I do fine, on just sweet fruits, in fact I do better on mono fruits and juices than on anything else.I go thru phases, for like years all i ate was bananas and date smoothies..now I like lighter fruits, bananas are good and creamy.. oranges are fine..

I was just reading that there is small amount of erosion on teeth when drinking OJ but not when eating Oranges by hand..hmm I love OJ anyways.. I try to do what my body likes,

just because someone says something is bad doesn't make it so.
We should all know that by now..after being cooked for so long and hearing all this trash, you styill get it from raw foodists, just talk. no offense, but we all have read books that say opposite things..

I think the truth is we know very little about nothing

LOVE YOU

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2006 03:58AM by coconutcream.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables