Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Mangos & pickles & corn, Oh my!!
Posted by: banJoe ()
Date: December 28, 2011 03:57PM

ok, I am VERY new here....

Ummm... How do u eat a Mango? Do u peel it like a cantalope or just bite it like a pear or apple?

Has canned or frozen corn been cooked or heated before hand?

Classeun brand pickles say they have NEVER been heated right on the label & they are only sold refrigerated. I love these pickles. Anybody kno if they fit into the RAW catagory?

I also like steel cut oats. What is yer-alls' take on steel cut oats? I like to prepare them by simply soaking them in cold water at least 12 hours then adding a small amt of sunflower kernals and a touch of honey.

Plz be patient w/ me.
Thanks in advance everyone.
banJoe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mangos & pickles & corn, Oh my!!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 28, 2011 04:11PM

Welcome BanJoe smiling smiley

How to cut a mango [www.youtube.com]

Most canned food has been cooked by flash pasteurization though you could call the company to see what their exact process is.

Those pickles sound like they were fermented in which case they are not only raw but ALIVE and full of good bacteria (probiotics). I make some ferments at home, they are high in salt so I eat them very moderately but I enjoy them.

With the steel cut oats again I'd say contact the company and ask them about their processing method, what sort of heat, steam etc is used. You can buy oat groats which are the whole oat grain but I'm not sure if they are processed with steam either.

As for honey, there is a debate about whether it, as an animal product, is technically vegan or not, just FYI smiling smiley.

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: December 28, 2011 04:16PM

Peel a mango. I don't know how to answer the other questions. I don't eat corn or pickles. Are you from the south? You'll get more responses (and respect) if you talk Yankee. smiling smiley

Date: December 28, 2011 04:27PM

I'd bet anything that those pickles have high fructose corn syrup. I have yet to come across a pickle in a large grocery that doesn't (Full Circle is the only exception). I say make your own. I'll eat homemade pickles and love them.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 28, 2011 04:29PM

Hello, banJoe!,

Vegan board--no animals products--so please stick to plant foods.

As far as foods go, in general: canned has been heat pasteurized, frozen may or may not have been flash pasteurized prior to freezing, fresh probably hasn't been pasteurized. A good rule of thumb is that if a fruit has a peel that tastes bad or is very hard to chew, it's not supposed to be eaten. Good example--bananas and oranges. If you find an unusual fruit, like mango, a good idea is to Google it and see how it is typically consumed in its native culture--whole, peeled, peeled and seeded, etc. Anything with a soft peel, like an apple or peach, usually has an edible peel.

Grains are not digestible by humans unless cooked or sprouted. Oats are generally not tolerated raw. Some people take whole raw oats or wheat grains or rye and sprout them and then eat them as raw granola, or grind them into a paste which they then air dry into crackers or "bread," or plant them in soil for their nutritious grass, which is juiced. But most foods that have to be cooked for a long time to be eaten, like steelcut oats, you can't just add water to and make edible. Do some Googling about this.

Usually, what can be eaten raw is fresh ripe fruits and vegetables, nuts and some seeds. Other seeds--radish, alfalfa, buckwheat, etc.--can be sprouted to make them digestible raw.

Good luck, and hope you learn a lot here smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2011 04:30PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 28, 2011 06:19PM

Sweet pickles will be loaded with sugars, but dill pickles in the refrigerator section are lacto fermented without the addition of sugar. The bacteria live on the sugars in the cucumbers.

Date: December 28, 2011 06:31PM

I googled "claussen pickles high fructose corn syrup." Oh no!

[www.comfytummy.com]

Date: December 28, 2011 06:32PM

That must be why recipes for fermented cauliflower call for some shredded carrot to get them going. Hmm, interesting.

And now of course I'm craving fermented cauliflower, lol.

Date: December 28, 2011 06:45PM

Claussen pickles contain high fructose corn syrup.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 28, 2011 08:27PM

Somewhere on these boards is a thread about how Bubbe's Pickles are HFCS-free and naturally fermented and not pasteurized.

Hello? banJoe?

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: December 29, 2011 04:35PM

Refrigerated pickles: Most of these where I live have no sugar, are naturally fermented and very yummy.

I also like to make my own for I use less salt. I make wild lacto-fermented foods with a brine of 2 tbsp whole salt to 1 quart of water. Soak vegies (cabbage, carrot, cauliflower, kohlrabi, beet, beans, cukes, whatever) in brine overnight in a crock. Next day put seasonings (garlic, (ginger), hot pepper, thyme, lemon thyme, dill, whatever) into bottom of quart jar, put brined veggies on top, cover with brine, put top on jar, store in warm area for 4 days, store in cool area until want to eat. This simple recipe has worked well for me.

Date: December 29, 2011 04:49PM

This recipe has yielded mould for me sad smiley. I use a fermenting jar now with an air lock valve, no chance of contamination and perfect ferments in 4 days. I'll experiment with less salt though I do find soaking in fresh water for an hour before eating rinses some out.

Posted by: banJoe ()
Date: December 29, 2011 07:14PM

Thank you everyone. I will definately try my own fermenting

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 29, 2011 08:47PM

try the perfect pickler banjoe .. both Coco and I have had lots of yummy luck with it smiling smiley

[www.perfectpickler.com]

the initial investment is a huge savings to me when i dont have to worry too much about throwing out a batch of fermented stuff cuz it just doesnt look/smell/taste right smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: December 29, 2011 11:54PM

Are those German pickles? I like kosher.

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: December 30, 2011 01:45PM

Thanks all for the perfect pickler link. Though I have no trouble with moulds I will look into it.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 30, 2011 06:43PM

What does the end product taste like with the perfect pickler?

I can't even take a bite of any of the fermented foods ive had made for me sent from companies in the post, smells obscene lol like veg you have forgot about for half a year. Which is why i usually use water kefir.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2011 06:44PM by powerlifer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables