Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
80/10/10
Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: January 12, 2012 08:11AM

I am curious to know how many of you are following 80/10/10 or have tried it. I would also appreciate it if you would share your experiences.

I'm seeing great results so far. My body fat is way down, closer to where I want it to be. After years of unsuccessfully trying to achieve flatter abs through raw diet and exercise, I finally can see a major improvement. I really had to look at my fat intake and make the adjustment. I was definitely overloading on nuts, seeds, and avocados before.

My athletic performance is also through the roof! The 80/10/10 diet does seem to be working.

The only drawback is that I am craving cooked foods more than ever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 80/10/10
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 13, 2012 05:53PM

Roxeli my diet generally revolves around the principles of 80/10/10 but i rarely take the time anymore to track it . When i do i find at times im more like 70/15/15 or even 60/20/20 lol

some days i gravitate towards more fruit ..some days more greens ..some days more fats smiling smiley I also tend to eat more greens then fruits in the winters as up here n the northwest that is wha is more available to me

it sounds like 80/10/10 is really working for you and thats great , i am not an athelete by any stretch so I cant compare notes with you there .. but i can say i really enjoy my long distance endurance rides in the summer full of fruit and smoothies far more then in years gone by sweating up a storm just to get around the block lol smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2012 05:54PM by Jgunn.

Date: January 14, 2012 01:41AM

Thank you for the reply Jgunn.

I think I might have lowered my fat intake too abruptly and probably should have weaned myself off of it more gently. I think that is what triggered the cooked food cravings. Regardless, I am so pleased with the results that I'm sticking with it. I'm going to up the greens and see if that helps stave off the cravings.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: January 14, 2012 02:32AM

Jgunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .... When i do i find at times im more like 70/15/15 or even 60/20/20

I'm surprised you stay Regular with such a varied Diet. I do Best eating the same thing day-in and day-out. It's closer to 90/05/05......WY

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 14, 2012 04:23AM

i guess for me the variety is the spice of life , i get incredibly bored fast if i dont switch things up smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: January 15, 2012 01:03AM

working great for me also i have great increase on every aspect of my life because of it from mental clarity endurance strength and recovery .

life vs lifelessness

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: January 21, 2012 05:06AM

Can someone refresh me on the 80/10/10 breakdown. I know it got posted, but I can't seem to find it through all the shmegma. It sounds like a great diet to rid oneself of excess musclature and fat.

Date: January 21, 2012 05:07AM

Wouldn't it be great to go on vacation. Seaworld perhaps?

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: January 21, 2012 05:36AM

seaworld doesn't treat animals properly so now. maybe to nature to re-wild

rawalice. i think it can be said as simple as . eat fresh ripe whole organic food , stuff you can make a meal out of 1 thing type stuff

life vs lifelessness

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 28, 2012 05:05AM

The best thing about 80/10/10 is the slow, insidious neurological damage that it does. Slowly the fatty myelin sheath around your neurons thins, until you experience excess sensitivity, anxiety, fear, dread, etc..

It's not good for your brain, long-term. Your body is designed to need more fat than 10% of total calories. 25% protein, 35% carbs, and 45% fat is probably closer to a long-term SUSTAINABLE macronutrient ratio.

I've been doing raw food diets since some of you still believed in the Easter bunny. I speak from hard experience, both my own, and that of many other raw foodist friends.

Date: January 28, 2012 10:35AM

run diogenez run!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 28, 2012 02:38PM

cherimoya_kid,

I've been doing raw food diets since some of you still believed in the Easter bunny. I speak from hard experience, both my own, and that of many other raw foodist friends.

I am sorry if "raw food diets" damaged your health, but I politely point out that you and some of your acquaintances are not a statistic.

It is a provocative assertion you are making, so I'm off to look for data that suggest that 80/10/10 demyelinates the axons and causes brain damage. Then, will look for data that suggest your recommended ratio of 45% fat is ideal. I imagine Drs. Barnard, Esselstyn, Fuhrman, McDougall, Ornish, Oz, etc., be shocked, shocked! to learn this . . .

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: January 28, 2012 04:02PM

I feel a zillion times better now that I'm eating a lot more fat than that. Coconut rocks my world. 80/10/10 or something like that may be good for a short period cleanse, but in my experience it's not at all sustainable. You get really flaky/spacey and just malnourished. I think there may be a time for extreme low-fact, but it's not all the time. Follow your instincts,

Date: January 28, 2012 08:57PM

So far, I feel great on 80/10/10. My athletic performance is through the roof. My obliques are showing now that my tummy fat is down. I'm in the best shape of my life and with less training than before. I also notice I lose less hair in the shower. My skin is neither dry nor oily but just right for once. Unlike my girl friends, I am not experiencing the annoying symptoms that come with menopause. My libido is the healthiest its ever been!

I have always been one of those people whose body wants to store fat (even more of a challenge now at age 50). Even with all the exercising I was doing, the abdominal fat was not budging. My arms, shoulders, and legs were ripped, but the abs were still lacking making me look unbalanced. Maybe once my body is cleansed it'll stop storing fat and I'll be able to increase my fat intake. I am definitely going to experiment with this and see where it takes me. I will tweak my diet as needed along the way.

Here are my results so far:
Before 80/10/10 (and working out way too much):

After 80/10/10:

Date: January 28, 2012 10:45PM

Wowo, roxeli--Amazing transformation! Congrats!

Date: January 29, 2012 02:39AM

Thank you Tamukha. The 80/10/10 diet has been great so far.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 31, 2012 03:15PM

Roxeli,

Congratulations. You look great. How long have you been doing 80-10-10?

Paul

Date: January 31, 2012 07:35PM

@ Paul,

I'm just now at 2 months of eating 80/10/10 but that picture was taken after only 5 weeks into it. The stubborn fat just disappeared. I'm still amazed.

Date: January 31, 2012 10:09PM

Roxeli,

Your personal courage and testimonial are powerful evidence of what a low fat plant based diet is capable of. You have got me thinking! Thank you very much for taking the risk for self-disclosure. It is empowering! Best.

Paul

Date: February 01, 2012 08:35PM

If you're stubborn and hard-headed enough to ignore me, feel free to learn from your own hard experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2012 08:36PM by cherimoya_kid.

Posted by: cy ()
Date: February 01, 2012 08:46PM

My only problem is the sweets.I do almost 90% veggies and 10% fruit,but the raw chocolate doesn't leave me. I have done everything.I think that i"ll quit.
The chocolate won.

Date: February 02, 2012 04:23AM

cy Wrote:
> My only problem is the sweets.I do almost 90%
> veggies and 10% fruit,but the raw chocolate
> doesn't leave me. I have done everything.I think
> that i"ll quit.
> The chocolate won.

If you want to control cravings, eat fats, and supplement with natural minerals like Terramin clay. That works.

Posted by: cy ()
Date: February 02, 2012 07:55PM

Wow ! I'm gonna check this out. Thanks.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 02, 2012 08:32PM

cy, let us know how that works for you.

Date: February 03, 2012 06:51PM

@ cherimoya kid,

I'm not ignoring you. My diet is my own. I am following what feels right to me and what has given me the best results. If I reach a point where I have to tweak my diet because of adverse effects, than I will do just that. Not everyone on 80/10/10 has had the same experience you had. Everybody is different. That is why I started this thread, so we can exchange our experiences.

Date: February 04, 2012 03:26AM

roxeli Wrote:
> @ cherimoya kid,
>
> I'm not ignoring you. My diet is my own. I am
> following what feels right to me and what has
> given me the best results. If I reach a point
> where I have to tweak my diet because of adverse
> effects, than I will do just that. Not everyone
> on 80/10/10 has had the same experience you had.
> Everybody is different. That is why I started
> this thread, so we can exchange our experiences.

The really worrisome thing about 80/10/10 is that the neurological damage is so gradual, that you don't realize that it's happening. Then, by the time it has really gotten bad, your brain is so damaged that your judgment can become impaired. That's a problem, because your own good judgment is the best defense you have against taking something like that too far.

I'm not saying that will be your fate, but many bright souls like DurianRider have clearly become VERY neurologically imbalanced, and Dr. Graham is aging horribly, worse than many SAD eaters. It's the long-timers on these diets that you need to really pay attention to, both the good and the bad things that are going on with them.

Whatever. Your fate is your fate.

Date: February 04, 2012 03:34AM

Cherimoya kid,

Could you clarify why you feel the 80-10-10 leads to neurological damage? B-12 deficiency? Something else? I think it would help me to understand your assertion if you could say a little more about why you feel this is the case.

Paul

Date: February 04, 2012 08:04AM

Hey Kid...show us some evidence, like a few studies that support what you're suggesting, ok. Oh, and nice tat Roxeli winking smiley

Date: February 04, 2012 01:07PM

geo,

Or even specifics about his own terrible experience with 80/10/10, including what his daily regimen looked like(I don't recall its being revealed before, but I'll check past threads). This tendency to categorically assert that this regimen is absolutely harmful while this other regimen is absolutely salutary is a nettlesome trend. No matter who does it winking smiley

Date: February 04, 2012 04:26PM

Tamukha Wrote:
> geo,
>
> Or even specifics about his own terrible
> experience with 80/10/10, including what his daily
> regimen looked like(I don't recall its being
> revealed before, but I'll check past threads).
> This tendency to categorically assert that this
> regimen is absolutely harmful while this other
> regimen is absolutely salutary is a nettlesome
> trend. No matter who does it winking smiley

Fair enough, fair enough.

Here is EXACTLY what happened with me.

I was eating basically mostly bananas and a few wild greens (plus a few other low-fat fruits from time to time) plus fermented goat milk (raw homemade goat yogurt, from raw milk). This went on for a few months. I noticed some social anxiety, jumpiness, and tooth sensitivity, especially right after eating my daily bananas, but it wasn't completely crippling, so I persevered.

Then I cut out the goat milk, and things got worse. The social anxiety got scary bad. I started experiencing dread and panic attacks.

Then I started eating mostly cold-weather fruits (like apples and pears), because I found the oranges/bananas/plantains tended to make the anxiety attacks much worse.

I was eating spinach for my greens at this point, because it was winter, and the wild greens weren't growing.

At this point I spent 3 months in Costa Rica, eating wild coconut, wild mango, and wild greens (the wild greens were just the plant called greenbriar). I noticed that I was always much calmer after eating the coconut, and very anxious after eating the mangoes.

I was experimenting to see if the "All-Wild" concept worked better than the 80/10/10 concept. What I actually DISCOVERED was that the lack of fat was jacking up my brain so much that I felt it was unsafe to continue.

The only difference between my extremely FAST decline on the apples/pears/spinach diet and the slower decline of most 80/10/10 dieters is that I was eating even less fat than they do, and so it happened much faster.

As far as evidence of my claims that a low-fat diet is dangerous for the myelin sheath, people, that's obvious.

An 80-90% fat diet is the single most helpful thing to control epilepsy. Why? Because the myelin sheath is MADE of fat. In fact, your brain is about 80% fat. Epilepsy is nothing more than electrical signals randomly shooting around in the brain in an uncontrolled way.

It's pretty much the same as if you had a bunch of bare copper wires sitting in a pool of seawater, and then ran electricity through one of the wires. Guess what happens? ALL of the wires get electrified, immediately.

Eating a high-fat diet would be like putting insulation around those wires. The electricity then stops jumping randomly from wire to wire.

Google "ketogenic diet" and "epilepsy" and you'll discover that it's a big thing for treating that disease.

Panic attacks are, in my view, a result of two things--weakened myelin sheath, and excess sugar. The sugar fuels the brain, making it work, work, work. This causes excess electrical activity in the brain. Then, if the myelin sheath is weak, electrical impulses start randomly firing all over the place. If this happens in a certain region of the brain, you get a panic attack. Maybe I don't have the PROCESS exactly right, but the CAUSES (weakened myelin sheath and excess sugar) are 100% on the money.

The weirdest panic issue was that I felt like I had to travel, travel, travel whenever I had just eaten a bunch of sweet fruit. Exercise definitely helped, but so did just getting on a bus (buses go everywhere constantly in Costa Rica, since most people there can't afford cars) and going somewhere.

I don't know what to make of that "I panic if I stay in one place" thing, but I doubt I'm the only one who has experienced that.

Pages: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables