Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Turmeric
Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: January 20, 2012 04:17AM

Ok so My acupuncturist has told me to take turmeric for my liver/ gall bladder malfunctions... and as I have known it is quite good... I am doing some research to find out what is the best way to take it... some say enteric coated pills, powders others say to combine it with pepper... others say raw... juiced... others say as a tea or tincture... too many people saying too many different things... as I live in a small town it is probably going to be difficult for me to find it in it's raw form though i will admit i haven't been to the store yet to look... I was wondering if anyone here has some words of wisdom on this... I did talk to my AP about some of the research and he says he doesn't worry so much about that... sort of like the sugar pill affect it seems to be working for people... but i don't really agree with that... makes me think twice about him as a healer... anyhow... any advice info recipes per the use of Turmeric would be great.

love laugh and dream

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turmeric
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 20, 2012 04:40AM

id be concerned about someone telling me to use something and then not giving me any basic instructions on how to use it ...

that said .. its best grated (like ginger or horseradish .. the rhizomelike-tuber looks similar to those) , or as powder.

[turmeric.co.in]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: January 20, 2012 05:13AM

Well He told me how to use it... but only in pill form... and as it is an herb I figured I'd rather learn more about how to do it more naturally... that is if I can even find it. And what works best and if it has worked for other people!

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 20, 2012 09:46AM

I prefer raw powder form with a little black pepper to increase the absorption.

Half-1 teaspoon 3 times daily at least 25 minutes before meals is what i usually do.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 20, 2012 02:00PM

Agree about the powdered form; it'll be easier to find, at least. Good luck, luvyuu smiling smiley

Date: January 20, 2012 02:40PM

It depends what your using the turmeric for also, curcumin one of the main active's in turmeric is poorly absorbed, now for the use as a bile stimulant and for the liver powder form would suffice. If using for other reasons such as the anti-inflammatory properties you might want a standardised extract etc.

Turmeric is a very common spice worldwide, you should be able to find its powder form in most supermarkets, health stores or indian/asian markets.

There are many other great herbs for the liver and gallbladder, one of my favorite for both is artichoke leaf.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2012 02:42PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 20, 2012 02:49PM

I've made turmeric and black pepper capsules with this handy little machine (you can buy veggie caps instead of gelatin ones for a bit more money). Makes for easy and cheap turmeric taking! For the cost of a commercially prepared bottle I can make literally hundreds of caps myself.

[www.capmquick.com]

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 20, 2012 03:58PM

Agree with Chris that the black pepper is needed to increase absoprtion, not much. Tumeric is a powerful anti-carcinogen but doesn't taste that great. Maximum daily dose shouldn't exceed 1 tsp due to its high oxalic acid content.

[nutritionfacts.org]

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: January 20, 2012 05:29PM

I just throw a few sprinkles into a blender full of smoothie. I can't even taste it. The black pepper tip is useful.

Date: January 20, 2012 06:50PM

oxalic acid??? I have problems with this... had to quit eating spinach cause i was losing the strength in my legs... and now it's in turmeric... I'll keept it down to a minimum with it... also heard it can cause digestive problems if you have too much... funny the very thing that helps digestion can make it bad too... I tried mixing it with some honey and coconut oil... it was a tasty treat... also mixing it in to a salad dressing has been ok as well... taking it out of the capsule cause what he gave me are gelatin ... I'll look for the veggie caps ...

why 1/2 hour before eating... wouldn't it be better to have it with food???

thank you every one...

love laugh and dream

Date: January 20, 2012 07:48PM

luvyuu

I wouldn't worry about the oxalic acid in 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon in tumeric unless you have a particular sensitivity. Your oxalic acid loading in the spinach was probably much greater than what you get a small amount of tumeric. But to be honest, that's just my conjecture.

Paul

Date: January 20, 2012 07:57PM

Oh, I agree. It's such a tiny amount, it's not like you're having loads of it every day. The beneficial compounds are strong enough at that measure but not any detrimental factor. Same with so many healthy foods, even spinach and sesame seeds. Moderation is a good idea.

Once upon a time my mom read a pickle recipe wrong and used a cup of turmeric instead of a tablespoon. LOL, those electric yellow pickles lived on a shelf in our home for as long as we did, nobody would touch them.
Reminds me though that I can add it to the fermenting jar along with pepper when "pickling" veggies. It will be a pretty colour and have a lively flavour too boot. I think I'll try it.

Date: January 20, 2012 08:31PM

The amount you would consume of turmeric would be of little concern in my opinion when it comes to the oxalic acid content.

Generally herbs are taken away from food as certain nutrients can block the absorption of the beneficial compounds in herbs. Although in turmeric's case you can take straight before especially as it is a mild digestive and bile stimulant.

[www.vegankindgom.co.uk]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 20, 2012 09:29PM

coco,

A wonderful friend of my mom's who is an excellent all-around cook got a pickle recipe from a Bangladeshi neighbor that calls for turmeric and crushed coriander seeds in the pickling mixture. She gave me a 1 quart Mason jar of them last year, and I ate the entire thing in one day! Talk about moreish!

As an aside, no ill health effects from this . . .

Date: January 20, 2012 10:53PM

It just seems that every time i find a new "miracle" healing food it winds up having oxalic acid in it... can't seem to avoid it... so i'm not gonna worry about it... the pickling idea sounds good... i've been thinking about trying my hand at it... I've done saurkrout but can't take the cabbage... my body doesn't deal with gas well... so pickles... any good recipes???

love laugh and dream

Date: January 20, 2012 11:01PM

I have a fermenting jar called The Perfect Pickler that comes with an airlock valve to keep bacteria out and a recipe book. It's not pickling with vinegar, the end product is ready in about 4 days and alive with good probiotics. It does call for a small amount of salt if that is a concern for you. I've found soaking the finished veggies for an hour before eating reduces that quite a bit. It makes the most wonderful kraut, kim-chi, cauliflower, carrots, beets etc. It's such a great addition to our kitchen.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: January 21, 2012 01:41AM

Just make sure it's organic, I prefer Frontier herbs out ot the bulk bins but not alot of health food stores have this. And eat it raw! It is as simple as putting it in a little warm water and drink 30min. before a meal.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: January 21, 2012 02:14AM

Turmeric always tastes great in... CURRY!! grinning smiley

You can play around with a blended raw tomato sauce, add turmeric (black pepper for absorption), skim some recipes for other spice ideas, use some sprouted lentils or bits of cauliflower and avocado if you prefer... It's really easy to ingest it by the tablespoon that way. >8)

Date: January 22, 2012 03:00AM

am enjoying it in tea... turmeric powder, ginger, pepper nutmeg honey and almond milk it's quite nice if you like spicey tea... haven't found the root yet... doubt i will so i'll have to deal with the powder 4 now... what sort of health affects should i be watching out for... the perfect pickler sounds fun I'll look into it...

thank you all for your advice and ideas

Love laugh and dream

Date: January 22, 2012 10:57AM

Better digestion would be one of the main from the spices you mention above. I am never too keen on using ginger often as it is a strong ant-acid and thus neutralizes stomach acid. I do use it to flavour certain dishes though.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: January 24, 2012 03:09AM

I didn't know Ginger was a strong ant acid... for me that would be a good thing no??? as i do have trouble with a high acidic ph... I've just been taking it in warm water with a bit of pepper... but i'll pass on the idea for eggs to any egg eaters I know...

would i notice a difference right away or does it take some time... it's been about 5 days...

love laugh and dream

Date: January 24, 2012 03:12AM

Reminder this is a vegan site, we're not really supposed to actively promote or discuss non-vegan foods. All are welcome to participate though (there are lots of people here who aren't 100% raw or vegan).

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: January 24, 2012 04:57AM

Are vegans afraid to loose their veganility?

Date: January 24, 2012 05:46AM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are vegans afraid to loose their veganility?

Nope, but we are asked to respect the rules of the website. They are posted here:
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 24, 2012 07:17AM

Please rawalice keep your posts vegan in nature. Its ok for non-vegans to participate on this forum, but we require that post be kept vegan. Thanks.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: January 31, 2012 04:58PM

I did not know Tumeric was a food, I thought it was for face and beauty

Date: January 31, 2012 05:51PM

Indians take about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon daily and have much lower cancer rates than Americans. Tumeric (curcummin) is perhaps the most powerful anti-inflammatory supplment out there (ginger being the other).

I take 1/2 tsp daily with black pepper to improve absorption and a little oil (olive) to improve absorption. Also take 1/4 tsp of dried ginger root for anti-inflammatory effects.

Paul

Date: January 31, 2012 06:15PM

The only problem with ginger is that it is also a strong ant-acid and thus neutralizes stomach acid production, which can be counter productive for many when it comes to digestion and absorbing nutrients.

Turmeric is a great anti-inflammatory and all round herb in general. Although for anti-inflammatories i prefer licorice or yucca root, not only do they have potent anti-inflammatory properties they also support the adrenal glands which will help the bodies own natural production of anti-inflammatory compounds.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: January 31, 2012 09:29PM

Do we really need all of these stimulants??? That Indians have lower cancer may be due to other things.

Date: January 31, 2012 09:55PM

Madinah,

to each their own... [www.youtube.com] best

Paul

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables