Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
figs vs. dates
Posted by: rab ()
Date: January 20, 2012 04:05PM

I vote - figs! This is about dried figs and dates...I noticed that after eating figs I feel great, dates make me sluggish. Dates are great if you are playin sports, they are almost as good as bananas. But, if you are having an office day, not moving much, dates are not a good choice.
Note: I don't know how to eat just a few, I always eat dozens of them, so that could be my problem...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: figs vs. dates
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 20, 2012 04:21PM

I loathe figs, they taste of dirt to me. Ugh.
Dates I do enjoy but only one at a time, I couldn't handle more than that.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 20, 2012 05:27PM

i prefer dates to figs smiling smiley but figs can grow around these parts so maybe i might need to aquire a taste for them ..i dont know .. the dried ones ive had taste like dirt as coco says smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 20, 2012 05:36PM

Must we choose? OK, dates. But only if fresh figs aren't available smiling smiley

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 20, 2012 05:39PM

i would love to try a fresh fig .. my neighbor *sob* chopped a fig tree down this summer ..i didnt evenknow it was there .. i wuold have raided it for sure !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 20, 2012 06:00PM

Fresh figs are lovely, but i find the ones we get here are touch and go. Some taste of nothing then the next one is so sugary and lovely that you want an endless supply.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: January 20, 2012 06:53PM

I don't like them fresh or dried though dried is slightly more tolerable to me. They are about as appealing as okra to me. Yuck.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: January 20, 2012 11:08PM

I like the Organic Turkish Figs from Nut.com. Dates just seem to be too 'sugary'. I never have good luck buying Fresh Figs....seems like half the container is always inedible......WY

Date: January 20, 2012 11:16PM

WheatgrassYogi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the Organic Turkish Figs from Nut.com.
> Dates just seem to be too 'sugary'. I never have
> good luck buying Fresh Figs....seems like half the
> container is always inedible......WY

Im glad its not only me then but yeah half the container is always inedible, same goes for sharon fruit here sometimes, damn annoying.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: January 20, 2012 11:49PM

i grew up on figs almonds and kale
but i loves me some dates

life vs lifelessness

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: January 21, 2012 02:15AM

Does anyone know what eating a fresh date is supposed to be like? The only ones I've ever found are as hard as rock.

Fresh, and -truly ripe- figs, when you can find them, are amazing. The problem is, they're often leathery skinned and moldy. angry smiley I always seize the day when I find truly soft figs... figs that ripen on the counter overnight. <3

Mejdool dates are a force to be reckoned with, too...

Date: January 21, 2012 05:37AM

solution phantom , grow your own fig trees and date palms

life vs lifelessness

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 21, 2012 06:38AM

The best way to eat figs is freshly picked ripe off the tree.

Date: January 21, 2012 08:10AM

yup every minute disconnect from the mother tree the vibrations are lost. dan mcdonnald kind of touches on that. like a smothie or wheat grass juice you don't let it sit for a miniute for it oxidises and looses what you want of it.

life vs lifelessness

Date: January 21, 2012 08:47AM

Oh wow, I love figs, especially fresh. My grandparents had a couple of figs trees in their veg garden out on the farm, and they are beautiful. I like dates too, but figs are my favourite. These days, I only buy dried figs due to the cost of so-called-fresh figs. But if you hydrate them for an hour prior to eating, or adding to a fruit salad, they are delishhhhhh. And don't throw out the liquid that you hydrated them with, cause it too is sweet nector from the Gods :-). Why not try it guys!

Posted by: nrothgarden ()
Date: January 21, 2012 09:47AM

Both of them are good. I love dates.

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: January 21, 2012 11:30AM

There's no comparison! Figs. I mean dates are great and I know they're all hyped up in raw foods, but not much beats a fig. They are so unusual in flavor and texture. I don't think anything beats a fig except maybe some butter. Yes, yall, give me some butter. Dates are all good and all, but yeah, figs if I had to choose. I think it takes something special though, to process a fig. At least, in my experience with them. I've never had them plain. That sounds absolutely delicious.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 21, 2012 01:02PM

Depends on the quality of both for me. Nothing beats a fresh fig off the tree - divine food. Some dried dates are revolting, nasty little hard bullets with peeling hard skin but medjool are delicious - like Coco i can only manage one or two at most of those.

To be honest I prefer dried unsulphered apricots to both dried figs and dried dates.

Rab - I haven't eaten enough of either in one helping to know if they have differing affects on my system though. I only would want to eat a lot if I was really hungry and didn't have something else to hand that I would prefer.
I notice that no one else has answered this aspect of your post - maybe they don't really affect other people in the same way as you?

Date: January 21, 2012 04:44PM

I wish I had fresh figs daily...I only had them a few times, never freshly picked, of course (could they be grown in glass houses?). Medjool dates (I have only had those dried) are delicious, I can't stop eating them, but they don't make me feel good - unless I play sports or am very active any other way. I can have a bag of figs and feel good after that, not just while I am eating.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 21, 2012 08:34PM

Good fresh figs are delectable! It's amazing I lived so many years without ever trying one but I bet it's a matter of demand. I wonder if Middle Eastern people are driving the demand for fresh figs? I don't like the dried ones. I mean, they're tolerable but I don't buy them. Dates are nice but I am not gaga over them. It's weird because I just bought some fresh medjools and I really don't see much of a difference, if any, between fresh and dried dates.

There's a 'hood in Chicago with a street called Devon Avenue and it's very heavily Indian and Middle-Eastern and supposedly they have a store which sells more than the two or three varieties we normally see. I gotta get up there sometime soon because supposedly there are many varieties (200?) and they taste different!

Date: January 21, 2012 09:09PM

Yeah, dates seem to have a huge raw food following. I like them, I read somewhere once you have to be careful though, because some may be hallucinogenic.

Date: January 21, 2012 09:34PM

rawalice Wrote:
> Yeah, dates seem to have a huge raw food
> following. I like them, I read somewhere once you
> have to be careful though, because some may be
> hallucinogenic.

I think those are the brown ones...winking smiley

Date: January 21, 2012 11:09PM

banana who, the Devon Avenue is the center for all good stuff. Cheap electronics, they have pirated adapters for phones, all sorts of electrical devices with very low prices... I knew this place before I became raw vegan (mostly), so thanks for reminding me to visit them again.

Date: January 21, 2012 11:36PM

rab Wrote:
> banana who, the Devon Avenue is the center for all
> good stuff. Cheap electronics, they have pirated
> adapters for phones, all sorts of electrical
> devices with very low prices... I knew this place
> before I became raw vegan (mostly), so thanks for
> reminding me to visit them again.

LOL- I'll bet it's got cheap electronics but beware some of the products. There was an expose of some cosmetic creme that turned out to contain some toxic chemical. I can't remember which one...I do think it's fun to wander around there in the summer because it's teeming with life. Supposedly the Indian population is the highest outside of New Delhi!

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: January 22, 2012 12:32AM

Fresh figs. And I am going to take a workshop mid February on how to grow them in Vermont. I will keep you informed.

Date: January 22, 2012 10:34AM

One thing I've found, is that some of those date varieties are so huge and packed with all the good gear, that just eating a few is like a full meal haha.

And most of the food charts I've read puts the fig just a bit higher than the date re nutrition. Both are usually pretty high up anyway, or actually at the top when it comes to mineral content.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 22, 2012 01:05PM

Rawalice - the figs we get in England are from Europe not the middle east. I knew someone who went to live in spain and they would pick pounds and pounds of figs off their trees everyday.

I am planting a fig this spring against the sunny, front of my house.

Date: January 22, 2012 02:21PM

Most of the supermarket dates here have glucose syrup which is not something i want to consume, it is these type of syrup's which raise blood sugar and cause fatty liver disease rather than the dates themselves. Really annoys me, so i am happy when i find medjools and such.

I also wonder why the fresh figs are of so poor quality for many in supermarkets, seems i am not alone. As flipperjan pointed out most are from Europe so they are not exactly coming from the other side of the world but are still often mouldy and inedible.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2012 02:22PM by powerlifer.

Date: January 22, 2012 02:37PM

Hey, i thought it was powerlifter!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 22, 2012 03:14PM

powerlifer,

Fresh figs trucked out from California are frequently moldering after two days in the local supermarkets; you have to ask when a shipment is coming in and get them that morning. However, the local Italian import store has an "in" somewhere, and gets beautiful fructose-oozing fresh figs several times a year that stay fresh for over a week and taste marvelous. They must get them from a distributor in the wholesale produce district in Detroit who gets them airshipped. I bet most Spanish, Italian, and Turkish figs get to you guys by boat sad smiley

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables