Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Understanding what is bad about cooking
Posted by: dammyg ()
Date: February 14, 2012 02:46AM

Hi, I am new to this forum, but I have already read through many different articles here, thank you for all the information you have provided.

I am a keep cook, and like to keep healthy. I already know quite a lot about health issues and nutrition, but want to understand further.
I am not a complete raw-food eater. However, I do believe that eating raw is healthy and try not to over cook food as much as possible.

The one thing I want to learn more about is what is actually changed in foods cooked below boiling points. I understand how cooking over 100 degrees to boile and hence remove water and oxygen can cause changes, and also how burning and causing Malliard reactions can cause changed, but cooking below boiling point to denature proteins and possibly other reactions in something I can not find more information about. What exactly is happening at these lower temperatures? What foods are weaker to these lower temperatures and which stronger. Please any information will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Understanding what is bad about cooking
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 14, 2012 09:40AM

You can find plenty of info at google scholar. There's also plenty of evidence that microwave cooking is worse than infered cooking, as it destroys much more nutrients.

Cheers,
geo

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: February 14, 2012 04:43PM

Cooking destroys enzymes.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 14, 2012 06:15PM

There has, unfortunately, been almost no research done on what happens to nutrients at sub boiling levels, possibly because humans have been eating cooked vegetables for so long it's not a process that needs scrutinizing, as far as science is concerned.

The longer a food is cooked, the more damage results to the antioxidant vitamins and to the amino acid strands which result in a protein's being "reconizable" to one's immune system. Maybe panic about the low levels of lycopene found in raw foodists in studies--as the interwebs seems to suggest that you do--but I'd say err on the side of caution and assume that anything that is nontoxic and can be eaten raw without causing damage is preferable to that which must be cooked in order for the body to break it down.*

*It is curious that much of the research one finds on this subject puts it exactly this way, when discussing cooking: it helps us break foods down. As though the point of taking in food is to emulsify it, like a blender, not to derive macro and micronutrients and water from it!

Date: February 14, 2012 07:00PM

Ok, here is one article that I found that suggests that cooking is destructive.

Cheers, geo

Journal of Nutrition Vol. 39 No. 3 November 1949, pp. 413-425
Copyright © 1949 by American Society for Nutrition
This Article

Full Text (PDF)

Purchase Article

View Shopping Cart

Alert me when this article is cited

Alert me if a correction is posted

Services

Similar articles in this journal

Similar articles in PubMed

Alert me to new issues of the journal

Download to citation manager

Citing Articles

Citing Articles via Google Scholar

Google Scholar

Articles by Mitchell, H. H.

Articles by Beadles, J. R.

Search for Related Content

PubMed

PubMed Citation

Articles by Mitchell, H. H.

Articles by Beadles, J. R.

The Nutritional Effects of Heat on Food Proteins, with Particular Reference to Commercial Processing and Home Cooking
H. H. Mitchell, T. S. Hamilton and Jessie R. Beadles
Division of Animal Nutrition, University of Illinois, Urbana
The effect of heat as applied to food products during commercial processing and home cooking on the nutritive value of the food proteins for the growing rat has been studied on a number of foods by the nitrogen balance method developed in this laboratory. The samples compared were unheated, or very mildly heated as in a solvent-extraction method, and heated to high temperatures by autoclaving in the laboratory (sunflower seed meal), subjection to oil extraction by the expeller process (peanut and linseed meals) or the hydraulic process (cottonseed flour), or subjection to a process of flaking and toasting (corn). As an example of home cooking, the effect of a standard method of roasting on the proteins of beef was ascertained. In all cases, the unheated or mildly heated sample and the highly heated sample were obtained from the same raw material.
During these heating processes the digestibility of the proteins of sunflower seed meal, cottonseed flour and corn was definitely decreased by amounts ranging from 2.5 to 14.2 percentage units. The biological value of the proteins of peanut meal, sunflower seed meal, and cottonseed flour was also definitely decreased in these processes.
The percentage of total heat damage was highest for corn (20) and peanut meal (18), intermediate for sunflower seed flour (10) and cottonseed flour (11); no heat damage was demonstrated in the roasting of beef. For flaxseed (linseed), heat exerted a favorable effect on protein utilization (7%), especially evident in improved protein digestibility.
The heat processes studied always decreased the thiamine content of those foods subjected to assay, but the pantothenic acid content was not impaired in the peanut meals judged by an assay method that does not measure the amount of the vitamin contained in coenzyme A.

Date: February 14, 2012 08:36PM

Advanced Glycation End-Products, or AGEs. Google it.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: February 14, 2012 10:40PM

I am not sure about the cooked food in particular but when a fresh juice sits for fifteen minutes or more it looses most of these things, Hormones, Oxygen, Phytonutrients and enzymes. So I think it's pretty safe to say cooked food looses this and much more, maybe with some execptions. Cooked food does weaken the immune system and that has been proven, not sure where you would find it though.

Posted by: vegmichelle ()
Date: February 15, 2012 05:20AM

As far as i know, different changes occur depending on the cooking method used. Boiling or steaming are believed to be the least harmful ways of cooking because you only get to lose vitamins (which dissolve in the water or evaporate in the steam).

other cooking methods, such as frying and baking, lead to the formation of acrylamides (that browning you see on baked food) which is basically a byproduct of oxidative stress. You dont need more oxidated material in your body.

Juices go bad in contact with the air because they also oxidate. The oxygen in the air reacts with substances in the juice. This also happens to some fruits and veggies when they are exposed to the air (peeled apples turn brown, bananas turn brown, eggplants turn brown, etc).

If you want to keep juices for longer, try mixing in some orange or lemon juice, since Vitamin C acts as an antioxidant and will delay oxidation.

Keeping it raw at [rawfoodhealthwatch.com]

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: February 17, 2012 05:19AM

Cooked foods
1) take long time to be processed by the body,
2) cause a lot more carcenogenic toxins in the colon than raw foods,
3) can negatively afftect the internal environment (which results in a bad body odour)

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 17, 2012 07:34AM

There's also... life force. <3

Did you ever see the experiment with plants? Feed one plant regular water, feed another plant microwaved water, and see which one dies first. angry smiley Microwaves are dastardly.

This is not THE site I was looking for, but has most of the things that happen chemically when food is heated:

[www.vegsource.com]

Boiling and steaming are the gentlest ways to cook. Baking introduces the maillard reaction; frying can create trans fats; and irradiation is linked to prions (makes me wonder about non-organic dried spices).

Date: February 17, 2012 07:56AM

I read somewhere that the molecules of food heated via infrared (flame etc) vibrate, while the molecules of food heated via microwaves spin. The suggestion is that the spinning molecules smash into, and destroy many more nutrients than the vibrating molecules.....

Now this may not be true, but it does seem logical. Does anyone know any more about this?

Posted by: chat ()
Date: June 11, 2012 09:47AM

cherimoya_kid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Advanced Glycation End-Products, or AGEs. Google
> it.

Do they form when heating/cooking food at lower than boiling point temperatures? And another question: at boiling point temperatures or lower, do they form when heating *all* kinds of food or only certain kinds of food?

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: June 14, 2012 03:11PM

kills all enzymes. destroys many nutrients. denatures vitamins and minerals making them much harder to absorb....especially since you just destroyed the enzymes which are like key codes to the proper use of each vitamin and mineral. If we eat less than 51% raw food then our body will try to destroy itself by composting the blood. if we eat cooked food our body attacts itself thinking that foreign bodies are invading....WHICH THEY ARE. to me this is a sign we are not evolved to eat much cooked food at all. cooked food rots as all the life has been removed, allowing any random bacteria or yeast to immediately take it over.....which happens in our bowels. Which is why people who eat cooked food have TERRIBLE farts....its so nasty. I hate smelling normal, cooed food dairy farts. My farts 99% of the time smell like nothing. People I work with smell like they have a bowel disease every time they fart. Cooked food putrefies in our bowels. Raw food usually does not as it already has its friendly bacteria living in it, not allowing a nasty take over of filth.

Date: June 14, 2012 06:35PM

Rawlion, just out of curiosity, and of course entirely hypothetical, do you think would you be able to love a woman who isn't raw?smiling smiley

Date: June 14, 2012 11:51PM

luckily I don't have to make that decision because my woman is super 100% raw vegan just like me!!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 15, 2012 01:48AM

RAWLION Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> luckily I don't have to make that decision because
> my woman is super 100% raw vegan just like me!!

LOL! Well, rock on, dude!!!

Date: June 15, 2012 01:50AM

Yep I did get that understanding, I read in other posts you wrote about your family and children being also 100% raw.smiling smiley It's just you seem to have quite strong feelings about being raw and I wondered whether these feelings translate against non-raw people.

It's definitely great to live with someone who shares your beliefs about raw, not all are this "lucky" though and I think some of us find they love those normal, cooked food dairy farts of their partners simply because they love their partners. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2012 01:52AM by chat.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: June 15, 2012 03:01AM

The worst thing about Cooking is that it Destroys Biophotons!!!

Peace and Love..........John

Date: June 16, 2012 06:28AM

i could love someone who eats garbage food......BUT i'd prefer to be with someone who is on my level...........of understanding.

i used to eat so much of those things, dairy, meat etc.....I just don't wanna wait more years pretending that its all ok etc etc. I believe that the Illuminati are so deeply intertwined in our culture that even our food is a MAJOR part of the slave chains that hold us down. cooked food is a major drug that helps keep us confused enough that all we can function to do is each day wake up from our cooked food comas and trudge our way into work, like good slaves. All we have to do to overthrow our government is simply do nothing for about a month. we hold the power.....raw food is an amazing survival tool that would especially do us good in a phase like that when all stores would be shut down. and food as we see it would be mainly unavailable. biophotons sound good!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables