Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Vita-Mixing
Posted by: drker ()
Date: February 26, 2012 04:32PM

I have started a somewhat juicing diet. I say somewhat because I use a Vita-Mixer I purchased maybe 10 yrs. ago and drink the entire contents.
Breakfast (before work)1/2 coffee with little cr. and little sug. THIS I PLAN TO CHANGE.
Drink 3 or 4 sm. Kale leaves, handful baby spin,3-4 lge romaine leaves. 2 organic carrots 2 cellery,1/2 gr. pepper,2 scallions.
Snack on some granola and nuts
2nd breakfast V.Mixed apple, orange, 3 strawberries,4 chunks fresh pineapple,and bannana. Now adding Bee pollen granules and chia seeds.
Lunch salad that had most ingredients in V-Mixer with Avacado and gr. olives, Vinegar and oil.
Dinner is kinda snacks maybe nuts,maybe nachos and salsa, Hummus with plenty of Habanero and garlic W/ Pita chips.
I do love sardines and eat a can every other day (need the protein).
Glass of red wine.
This diet I started almost two weeks ago. I have stopped drinking beer. I have managed to stay away from eating cheese and meat(other than fish).
All apears to be well. I may be able to continue this for a while if it is no hazard to health.
I have always liked the idea of being able to eat all(including Fibre) from the V.-Mixer
I am concerned about getting enough protein!
I am 5'8" 170lbs 53Yrs.trying to lean out.On my feat all day at an active job. Do like biking and running.
I would like some criticism on the long term advantage of this diet.Any suggestions I would appreciate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vita-Mixing
Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: February 26, 2012 08:57PM

At the risk of appearing arrogant, why don't you just eat your food it's a better way to utilize it. I say this because alot of people love to blend there food. You don't need the protien from sardines but do the best you can to get to a vegan diet. I find that eating soaked nuts and seeds are a good transitional raw food. All the fat seems to statiate the hunger and energy you might need. The advantages of the diet are many and come quickly but takes along time in some cases to completely rebuild the body. The advantages also come even quicker when you are utilizing wheatgrass juice and other superfoods but mostly wheatgrass juice.

Date: February 26, 2012 09:44PM

Not at all arrogant. I take any comments. After I posted I realized from the sticky notes that this forum is completely vegan. I really don't have time or don't make time for eating except at luch. Juicing takes little time and gives my system, what I beleive it is after feirst thing in the morning and fast.
I may be wrong but that is why I am writing to get feedback from the more experienced. Thanks Dan

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 26, 2012 09:58PM

Blended food is not the same as juiced, just FYI. What you're having are smoothies or blended salads, all the fiber included smiling smiley. This is a quick and easy way to get lots of veggies, greens and fruit into the diet without having to spend 10 hours chewing, lol. Do remember that digestion starts in the mouth though, make sure to mix that smoothie around with your saliva before swallowing instead of just gulping it down. You'll digest much better which means more nutrient absorption.
If you want a change in texture now and then this is a great way to take salad on the go
[www.fatgirltrappedinaskinnybody.com]

Also, there are plenty of ways to make sure you're getting enough protein without sardines. I'm not telling you Not to eat them, only offering the opinion that they aren't necessary. You can use an online nutrition tracker like fitday.com to see exactly what you're taking in every day and what you might be low on or missing.

Sounds like you've made positive changes to your diet and lifestyle so far, good for you. As you go along you'll refine things as needed, there's really no magic formula to it, it's different for everybody and then changes for each of us now and then. Just listen to your body, take small steps at a time and don't be afraid to alter what you're doing if you find it's not working. And remember to focus on all the good things that you ARE doing rather than the things you haven't gotten to yet. This should feel good to you, you should enjoy your life smiling smiley.

Date: February 26, 2012 10:22PM

Thankyou for the positive input. I have had a fair time with this diet. What I mean is it hasn't been real difficult to do. The difficult thing was getting to this level over so many years. I really beleive in the idea. The food is very filling , and my cravings for let's say a burger are practically null. Thanks again Dan

Date: February 26, 2012 10:43PM

Just a personal preference, I like to taste the vegies I am eating and find sometimes that being blended takes away from the individual flavors. One thing for sure is that all the extra water used will make it harder to digest. Not to be negative, whatever gets you through is good. You might not know who Brian Clement is, but he says that putting your food in the Vitamix is just being lazy lol. as opposed to a juice. Again whatever gets you on the path to veganism is great!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 26, 2012 11:02PM

The addition of a small amount of water (vitamix doesn't require much to work) is hardly going to interfere with digestion, especially since it's juicy food to begin with. I don't advise drinking a giant glass of water or two with meals as some people do but to create a smoothie or soup is completely fine. As for laziness, that's a bit of a pat response, no? A blender makes it possible to consume a large amount of produce when it might not otherwise be possible. I know I don't have 2 hours to spare for lunch and that's how long it would take me to chew all that salad, lol. Lazy. I don't think so.
I am not fond of juice unless it's for serious healing purposes, I'd prefer to have the entire food along with all of it's valuable fiber etc. There's nothing wrong with juice but it's completely different from blending. I find blended food has plenty of flavour too, it's hardly what I'd call bland winking smiley.

Date: February 26, 2012 11:31PM

The main idea though is that whole foods may just work out for me. I was only concerned with the side effects. I know the benefits are already showing.
Is there a level that may be too much intake of the vegetables?.I add about 6oz. spring water to the veggie drink. Also I don't know yet a way to make Kale other than in the mixer. Honestly I don't even know what it is like raw outside of mixing it.
BTW I would guess soaking almonds would work well enough but what other seeds and nuts are recommended? Also are they only soaked in water? What is best?
Also the veggie drink is a little hard to swallow, but It is down the hatch in very little time. Not recommended for all.
Thanks Dan

Date: February 27, 2012 02:49AM

Side effects vary widely and are just a part of it all.

I would say you can eat as much vegies as you need, everyone is different, I doubt you can hurt yourself.

Kale is horrible and bitter in my opinion, and I need a sweet dressing to eat it at all shredded up in a salad.

All nuts and seeds are good exept for Peanuts and Cashews, they are supposed to harbor a fungus wich contains Aflotoxin, one of the deadliest natural toxins known to man. Some don't mind using them but if you are very health concious or are suffering from some serious health challenges then stay away from them. The worst culprit is cheap peanutbutter from the grocery store. Some of the higher quality peanuts from an organic source are better. Nuts in general get worse as they sit on the shelf or in a bin. If possible we should get the highest quality we can. Understand that all store bought Almonds hav been treated in some way to kill bacteria since Sept. of 2009 I believe, so they can be a bit mealy after soaked. I used to get the best almonds that where crunchy after soaked but no more.

Use water to soak your nuts, generally twelve hours for larger nuts and six for like sunflower seeds, if it is colder add two to four hours.

We should take some time out to actually eat our food if possible, if you are not able to do that then maybe a lifestyle change is in order. I understand the Vita Mix is a easy way to get your meal, so not completely down on that. A handfull of almonds and a piece of your favorite veggie should keep you for quite a while. When we have more time we can graze like a cow and enjoy every bit lol.

Date: February 27, 2012 10:08AM

The input is really appreciated. That is what I am here for. Thanks Dan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables