Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Recent Pic of Doug Graham
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 13, 2012 04:16PM

RP, I was gonna preface my statement by ackowledging the difference in Fredric's age compared to Graham. But that aside, I am talking about weight. I don't want to get into specifics, but some of these gurus look GAUNT, not fit. Being trim and being gaunt are different animals. People who look at an emaciated person's pic and admire it may be anorexic themselves! This is a common occurrence. As a matter of fact, I have read that there are blogs where anorexics post pics of themselves in their starvation mode and tips on how to continue to lose weight and others with eating disorders aspire to emulated them! A distortion of body image is a mental issue and needs to be examined, IMO.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: KFCA ()
Date: March 13, 2012 10:03PM

I couldn't resist my Genealogy Addiction, so tried to find info on Bernando La Pallo, the reputed 109 year old man in the posted video above.
I found a Bernando La Pallo living in Flushing, NY in the US Public Records Index, Vol. 2. However, his birth date there was listed as August 17, 1910.

Then I checked the US Census Records, and found a listing only for him in the 1930 Census (the 1940 US Census is finally being released next month) for a "Bernando Lapallo", wife "Rose L.", living in a boarding house in St. Petersburg, FL. He was born in Cuba, gave his age as 22 (on census compilation his birth is listed as "approximately 1908), and he was indicated as "negro" in that census. His occupation was given as "cook". His wife Rose's age was 20 & her birth was New Jersey.

Think it's the same guy?

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 13, 2012 10:51PM

I agree with littlemermaid, that there are other factors that go into making a person look old. Much of it has to do with the person's view of the world, and if they feel they need to protect themselves against the world by contracting the muscles in their body. Why is it that so many actors are using botox do deaden the muscles in their face so they don't look so contracted? The need for botox has little to do with diet, and more to do with the person's outlook on life.

Also, Doug likes to spend a lot of time in the sun, thus he has leathery skin. Take any other person with any other diet (that is a light skinned person like Doug, not a Masai), and put them in the sun as long as Doug spends in the sun, and their skin is going to get leathery. If Doug were to quit spending that much time in the sun, wear sunglasses and a hat, his skin would soften up (though he'd probably have to do this for years).

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 13, 2012 11:32PM

That sounds like him! So he's Cuban. I wonder which it is--1901 or 1910? If the latter, he's "only" 101! Still impressive, eh?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 13, 2012 11:51PM

Prana, his skin would improve a bit but it would never recover from so much sun damage, there's not that much reversal to be had in that domain. I wish Arugula were here to explain this to everyone, she is so knowledgable about the skin.

Posted by: KFCA ()
Date: March 14, 2012 12:13AM

Interesting longevity figures.

As of September 1, 2010, according to the US Census Bureau, there were 70,490 Centurians (100 & over) living in the US. The population was recorded at 308.7 million in the 2010 Census.

Whereas in 1950, there were only 2,300 recorded Centurians; the US Population in that Census Year was 151.3 million.

It is estimated that only 1 of 1,000 Centurians will reach Super Centurian status, aka 110 years.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: March 14, 2012 12:57AM

How many healthy centurians, living without external machine to maintain them

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 14, 2012 05:13AM

Yes, it's true that people do look at how old a person looks when they've been on a particular diet for decades. And yes, many do think they look younger and fitter than their years. And yes, there are many factors involved, such as people who have a physical problem that contemporary medicine hasn't been able to address. Therefore, they turn to alternative medicine and also change their diet. So many may not look as good as they feel due to a previous condition.

I still think that if you lined up all the people that are 55yrs old and older who eat SAD on one side, and all the people who eat mostly raw vegan on the other, you'd still see a marked difference. That the mostly raw vegan eaters would appear to be much younger and fitter than the SAD eaters.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables