Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Nut milk bag?
Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: March 22, 2012 04:12PM

How long will 1 nut milk bag last? I want to buy one but at £10 they arent cheap, considering what they are.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nut milk bag?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 22, 2012 04:25PM

I would get a paint strainer bag from the hardware store. $2 for two of them. Does that work for you? It does me. That is just a complete rip.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 22, 2012 04:31PM

Is nut milk easy to make, its never something ive looked into.

I manage to buy various nut milks from a health store here on the occasions i use them. Id love to try hemp seed.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: March 22, 2012 04:38PM

Yeah PL you simply put nuts in a blender and blend.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 22, 2012 05:04PM

I second the paint strainer suggestion, wash it well. That's all a nut milk bag is, really.

Date: March 22, 2012 05:56PM

For some reason, it doesn't feel that great to me. When you think about it, depending on the recipe, you might be consuming up to 1/2 cup nuts in one fell swoop. I made pumpkin mylk using Ani Phyo' recipe and enjoyed it. Sunflower seed mylk? Not that much. Gack! I made sesame seed mylk and it was pretty good.

Date: March 23, 2012 08:24AM

Friends of mine only use almond milk which they make themselves for every coffee. Now I don't know about you, but you'd die of thirst waiting, cause it seems to take like half an hour to make enough for four coffee's sad smiley

Date: March 23, 2012 01:40PM

It shouldn't take 30 minutes to make a quart of almond milk. But I wonder what it's like in coffee...I dislike the packaged almond milk.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 23, 2012 01:51PM

Packaged almond milk is very sweet. Has anyone tried hemp seed milk?

Id love to try pumpkin seed milk also. You hit on a good point though BW in that if the majority of the fat is retained in the process you could be getting alot of fat in one glass, not that im fat phobic in anyway and i love dense calorie sources due to weight lifting.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 23, 2012 04:00PM

i bought a soybella [www.discountjuicers.com] best hundred bucks i spent on a small appliance .. i use about a small handfull of nuts/seeds at the most, it doesnt heat the milk , and its done in about 1 minutes, easy to clean

smiling smiley hemp milk is awesome smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: March 23, 2012 04:20PM

Jodi, I was thinking about one of those but I have a couple of questions. I assume you already have a high-speed blender so why did you feel the need to make it in that machine? Also, I am interested in making my own soymilk because I heard that it's very inexpensive that way. Have you ever tried to do so?

Date: March 24, 2012 12:18AM

it has a self contained stainless steel mesh strainer in it, so no straining thru messy bags which i dont like the taste of or cleaning of smiling smiley

yep ive done soy its very good as well smiling smiley

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 24, 2012 12:36AM

I don't know what paint strainer bags are made of. funny how we buy organic produce but use "paint strainer" bags for making nut mylk. Not being critical of either. Just saying exposure is exposure. Jodi's steel screen sounds worth a look. Ok course, I'd have to get 10 percent off just for being pborst an all... just sayin... :::waiting to get shoes thrown at me:::::

Well now!!! that was down right friendly!!! ;P

Date: March 24, 2012 12:56AM

nut milk bags are made of exactly the same stuff as paint strainer bags as far as I can tell. It's just fabric, no big deal once you wash it. I've got hemp bags and organic unbleached cotton bags but they do seem to leave some kind of flavour behind. Not bad just... cottony. Or hempy as the case may be but I'm talking fabric here, not leaves and stuff.

Date: March 24, 2012 03:51AM

Almond milk is quite nice in coffee IMO, and that appliance Jodi has sounds like the bees knees. But naked soya milk is way bitter, so the commercial soya milk must have heaps of sweetner added.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: March 24, 2012 01:43PM

I do not see the usefulness of the nut milk bag. Nuts do not have much water so you have to add water and what you really are getting at the end is colored water and you throw away the meat, best part of the nut. Are we trying to foul ourselves into getting a milk substitute? Some health stores carry organic raw goat milk if you do not have religious or morale objection to using real milk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2012 01:46PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: March 24, 2012 02:27PM

If you don't like it, don't make it. Simple solution.

As for the pulp, nobody in their right mind throws it out. It makes terrific pate and can be dehydrated to use as "flour" in lots of recipes.

Again, if YOU don't like, don't make it.

Date: March 24, 2012 04:37PM

RP, you bring up an interesting point. I have often wondered about the nutritional profile of nut milk. I mean, what's in there? Isn't there fat left behind in the pulp? What about other nutrients? And calories?

Date: March 26, 2012 02:52PM

RP heres how i see it ... we are all doing our own thing ... if mono eating fruit it what floats yer boat .. thats great !

i like some variety in my life

so a 100% SAD friend comes over and has a cup of tea and i use almond milk instead of dairy , she says wow this tea is great whats in it? I tell her almond milk .. she wants to know more .. tries it strait .. thinks is GRAND ! and guess what? off she goes and buys a nut milk maker ..and my 100% SAD friend is now 99% SAD

to me thats worth it .. shes learned something .. tried an alternative .. and has shown some vested interest in just being a little bit healthier

SCORE ! smiling smiley

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: March 29, 2012 11:52PM

Good point Jgunn, the milk bag has a higher purpose

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 30, 2012 08:29AM

Funny enough, I've just bought this blender:

[www.juicemaster.com]

It has a filter in, supposedly for fruit, but I'm going to try it for nut milk... I do get a bit fed up of straining the pulp through a bag. I'll let you know how it performs!

It's funny though, I've been thinking lately, it's like, all this work to get milk out of the nut, then make stuff with the pulp.. sometimes I think it would be a lot easier to just eat the nut, lol... although I do like my carob nut milks smiling smiley

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 30, 2012 07:52PM

UPDATE - just tried the blender with some almond milk, it actually worked rather well! Just pop the nuts in, add water, blend, then pour straight out, simples! Really quick, and easy to clean. The milk itself wasn't the smoothest in the world, but I can certainly live with it. The pulp was still pretty wet, but I don't mind that cos I use it for other stuff anyways.

My nut milk bag will now be taking a little vacation in the spare parts drawer winking smiley

Posted by: maxie7 ()
Date: April 03, 2012 11:54AM

Can I sew a nut milk bag? could I just use some muslin... My baby is outgrowing his baby wraps and I thought maybe I could recycle them... but I'm not sure how muslin will go for nut milk fibres, was thinking it might get holey?

I don't make nut milk very often, I've never used a nut milk bag. I've never been a big milk drinker, and if I do drink it, I like it sweet, that means almonds + dates. And I try to avoid nut/fruit combinations (even though they are so yummy my sweet tooth takes over and I tend to gain weight) Anyway, I think I still want to have a nut bag, just for the odd occaision... and I want to try making fermented nut cheese :-)

Date: April 03, 2012 12:58PM

Maxie, it will strain very slowly I'm afraid. You could make sprouting bags for things like lentils though, I have a couple I stitched out of hemp.
As for the fermenting, I have a set up called The Perfect Pickler that makes terrific ferments. You can use some of the liquid as a starter to ferment anything else, the bacteria is already there. I've seen vegan "yogurt" starters for sale as well. I don't trust the leave-it-out-on-the-counter-to-ferment technique myself, just as much bad bacteria as good can develop in that and you'd never know it but your body might not love it.

Date: April 03, 2012 05:58PM

I wish I could find my Perfect Pickler! Never used it once! Aargh--sure I tucked it away somewhere very "convenient."

Posted by: spectrum ()
Date: April 07, 2012 03:45PM

Hi, I have wanted to make my own nut milk for a while now, but I didn't have a nut milk bag or the money to order one. Thanks to you guys on this forum, I bought a paint strainer bag for $1.60 and started making it.

Thank you so much for the tip. I love this forum. I've been making raw granola for a while and using store bought nut milk. Now my breakfast treat is 100 per cent raw. Awesome.

I hollowed out a cucumber and filled it up with the nut pulp with green onions and some dressing. So I also got a delicous raw lunch out of it too.

Posted by: maxie7 ()
Date: April 12, 2012 01:31AM

Ok is there anywhere to buy in Australia or is there an Australian equivalent to this perfect pickler? I've been wanting to try fermented foods for ever, but I feel a bit iffy about the bad bacteria, this sounds really good. I don't even know if we have "mason" jars in Australia?

Date: April 12, 2012 02:06AM

I'm sure you can find canning jars in Oz, look for plastic lids as well and drill a hole in the center of one of them. If you go to a wine making shop and ask for an air lock, then get a rubber gromet from a hardware store to put into hole you drilled in that plastic lid, plunk the air lock through the hole and you've made your own.
The perfect pickler comes with recipes and they update with nice emails though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2012 02:18AM by coco.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 12, 2012 02:06AM

maxie,

Here's the contact page for the Perfect Pickler people, if you want to e-mail them about shipping to Australia:

[www.perfectpickler.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables