Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!
 

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

dangerous 80/10/10/diet?
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 23, 2012 01:59PM

I've been reading some post that seem perturbing with a possible dangerous trend. People following the 80/10/10 diet complain to have:

mental fog
unable to concentrate
unable to sleep
moody

And people attribute the cause to:

natural detox!
lack of B12
lack of vitamin D
not enough sleep (minimum 10 hours)
need more yoga
need sauna


Yet, people supplementing with everything, sleeping 10 hours, etc, and still having mental problems. Nobody mention the obvious. The obvious is that the brain is FAT and water, and if the fat in your body goes down, guess what? The brain literally shrinks and shorts circuit itself as the insulation (fat) is gone. Just a theory.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dangerous 80/10/10/diet?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 23, 2012 02:31PM

10% fat sounds really low to me. I don't think I'd even think about something like that but to each their own...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dangerous 80/10/10/diet?
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 23, 2012 02:51PM

Maybe, it does not have to be a fixed diet. For example, I think it would be healthy to do 'fat swings' to higher fat content every now and then. I think that would allow the brain to 'fat recharge.' But people looking for advice in a 80/10/10 forum may be given just the opposite of what they need, misdiagnosing the problem, as the solution could be against the holy diet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dangerous 80/10/10/diet?
Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: March 24, 2012 10:45AM

Many people who follow 80/10/10 claim to have the best mental clarity of their life. The complaints you speak of, all disipate after a little detoxification. Most of the people making these complaints are newbies who haven't read up much on the topic.

10% fat, may include up to a whole avocado per day, which is plenty for the brain. The brain needs sugars more than anything else.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dangerous 80/10/10/diet?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 24, 2012 11:11AM

That's... not enough fat for me. Makes for bad PMS. Not great for kids either, they need substantially more than a daily avocado. The brain runs on sugar but it's built of fat. The cells run on sugar too but they are also built of fat. Chia, flax, hemp, nuts and seeds, olives, the kids and I love olives. Not in abundance but certainly more than 10%.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dangerous 80/10/10/diet?
Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: March 24, 2012 11:32AM

Fruits and veg also have some fat. Ill agree with you about the kids coco, they may need more than 1 avocado depending... on their size, activity level, etc. But an adults brain is alredy built. For me its enough, I dont even care for fat much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dangerous 80/10/10/diet?
Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: March 24, 2012 11:48AM

LFRV is a cleansing diet. Doesn't releasing all those toxins also mean that some vital nutrients will go along with them? Do you really want to do that every day? This one guy recently pointed out to me that certain LFRV gurus are pushing chronic cleansing and fasting while dosing on dandelion. There ya go. Make a diuretic a part of your daily protocol. Who needs magnesium anyway!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dangerous 80/10/10/diet?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 24, 2012 12:34PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's... not enough fat for me. Makes for bad
> PMS. Not great for kids either, they need
> substantially more than a daily avocado. The brain
> runs on sugar but it's built of fat. The cells run
> on sugar too but they are also built of fat. Chia,
> flax, hemp, nuts and seeds, olives, the kids and I
> love olives. Not in abundance but certainly more
> than 10%.


Interesting, Cocosmiling smiley What's the connection between PMS and fat needs? I know that anorexic women stop having periods because their body fat goes down so much; I assume that they are also consuming barely any fat. Wait--I think I just answered my question--it's all about hormones, right? LOL...I also think that people who eat lots of fruit would do well to consume more than 10% fat if only to buffer all that fruit sugar.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dangerous 80/10/10/diet?
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 24, 2012 12:46PM

HeavenHands Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Make a diuretic a part of your daily
> protocol. Who needs magnesium anyway!

Watch out with magnesium and sudden cardiac death. If you feel that you have IRREGULAR hearth bits, Mg may literally save your life. One day you could faint and that's all bye bye life.

One easy way to tell if mental problems are caused by lack of fat is to eat more fat when the problems show up, and then see if the symptons dissapear. Not willing to accept this possibility as a solution may aggravate the problem and it can end up hurting someone. No diet model is perfect for everybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dangerous 80/10/10/diet?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 24, 2012 01:05PM

BananaWho, for sure hormones. Essential fatty acids are directly linked to brain function, mood stabilization, healthy nervous and reproductive systems, etc. So many parts of the body are built with fats too, not enough of them and things can start to malfunction here and there. I'm not advocating tons of fatty foods but there is a reason we crave them, good fats are pretty essential for body function and health.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dangerous 80/10/10/diet?
Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: March 24, 2012 01:11PM

Thanks. I don't have any magnesium issues. I know that magnesium is used in ERs to treat cardiac arrest. I think it's used for strokes too. Magnesium deficiency is very serious and will happen with the regular use of diuretics like caffeine, alcohol, blood pressure meds, and diuretic herbs like dandelion. I haven't researched it, but I suspect that people who chronically fast and live on cleansing diets like 811 are losing more magnesium than they're taking in with magnesium sources grown in depleted soils. The type of mental illness we see in raw gurus is highly symptomatic of magnesium deficiency.

Panchito Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> HeavenHands Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Make a diuretic a part of your daily
> > protocol. Who needs magnesium anyway!
>
> Watch out with magnesium and sudden cardiac death.
> If you feel that you have IRREGULAR hearth bits,
> Mg may literally save your life. One day you could
> faint and that's all bye bye life.
>
> One easy way to tell if mental problems are caused
> by lack of fat is to eat more fat when the
> problems show up, and then see if the symptons
> dissapear. Not willing to accept this possibility
> as a solution may aggravate the problem and it can
> end up hurting someone. No diet model is perfect
> for everybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dangerous 80/10/10/diet?
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 24, 2012 01:17PM

This a good link about Mg info and SCD

[articles.mercola.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dangerous 80/10/10/diet?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 24, 2012 01:39PM

I had severe magnesium deficiency due to stress and alcoholism, it was a truly scary time. I had irregular, rapid heart beat with palpitations. Anxiety and panic attacks almost constantly, feeling like i couldn't take a deep breath, cramps when walking. Transdermal magnesium oil daily cured it though, oral supplementation even with highly absorble forms was useless.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dangerous 80/10/10/diet?
Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: March 24, 2012 02:20PM

Panchito Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe, it does not have to be a fixed diet. For
> example, I think it would be healthy to do 'fat
> swings' to higher fat content every now and then.
> I think that would allow the brain to 'fat
> recharge.' But people looking for advice in a
> 80/10/10 forum may be given just the opposite of
> what they need, misdiagnosing the problem, as the
> solution could be against the holy diet.

This is definatly the best solution. I dont think 1 avocado or a handful of nuts a day is nearly enough fat. I recently loaded up on fat and feel so much better for it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dangerous 80/10/10/diet?
Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: March 24, 2012 02:52PM

That's great. I started with Ancient Minerals a couple weeks ago after seeing you mention it here. At first, the effect was mild, but with every passing day I feel it more and more as soon as it hits the skin. Thanks.

Do want to mention that there are some people who try transdermal magnesium therapy and cry "scam." They don't feel any effect, but that's likely because they're not magnesium deficient.

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had severe magnesium deficiency due to stress
> and alcoholism, it was a truly scary time. I had
> irregular, rapid heart beat with palpitations.
> Anxiety and panic attacks almost constantly,
> feeling like i couldn't take a deep breath, cramps
> when walking. Transdermal magnesium oil daily
> cured it though, oral supplementation even with
> highly absorble forms was useless.
>
> [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dangerous 80/10/10/diet?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 24, 2012 03:21PM

Glad it is helping you HH smiling smiley. I guess we have to bear in mind that the above symptoms can have other causes. But overall i believe transdermal magnesium to be the best way to increase intracellular levels other than injections.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dangerous 80/10/10/diet?
Posted by: rab ()
Date: March 24, 2012 04:34PM

Right now, I don't eat anything but fruit and veggies, with a little olive oil on weekends, but this is just a 40 days fast. Usually, I also eat some sea food, raw when possible (shells). I agree with coco that we probably need a little more fat than 80-10-10 suggests. Our brains need it. But, that fat is not good when processed. Cholesterol is good for us only when it is not heated. Some poeple told me that our brains are actually made of cholesterol. Not the oxidated one, but the natural one.

Aquatic Ape...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dangerous 80/10/10/diet?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 24, 2012 08:54PM

Transdermal magnesium therapy in relation to shortness of breath? Please tell me more. I have had a breathing difficulty for 2 decades, since working in a very polluted environment. I manage it by staying away from cities, fragrances, pollution etc as much as possible but I've been tested and NOTHING shows up to explain why I can't breathe.

Options: ReplyQuote


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.


Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables