Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Popcorn higher in antioxidants than fruit/veg
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 27, 2012 08:18AM

I found this quite interesting although i still won't eat popcorn as i hate it, makes my hairs stand on end like polysterene lol.

Interesting bit in the article - explained that the polyphenols are more concentrated in popcorn, which averages only about 4 percent water, while polyphenols are diluted in the 90 percent water that makes up many fruits and vegetables.

[www.sciencedaily.com]

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Popcorn higher in antioxidants than fruit/veg
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 27, 2012 12:04PM

coffee too!

[www.livestrong.com]

I think light roasted coffee (more acidic) has more than dark

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: March 27, 2012 12:11PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
.....I found this quite interesting although i still won't eat popcorn as i hate it

Here's what Brian Clement says about Popcorn......WY

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 27, 2012 12:22PM

Antioxidants are only one aspect to a foods benefits anyway, i just thought it was interesting.

Good for anyone wanting to easily increase their intake of these polyphenols though.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 27, 2012 01:10PM

Well, that's great! The kids love popcorn and I feel like it's an OK snack treat for them now and then. I make air popped organic corn with melted coconut oil and a light dusting of sea salt and nutritional yeast. Makes for a fun movie night and even guests like this "healthier" version of a traditional snack.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: March 27, 2012 01:51PM

Heated oil is not digestible. It does not matter how many nutrients, they are useless and harmful.

Date: March 27, 2012 01:54PM

Again with the absolute statements, lol.

To soften coconut oil rest the container in a bowl of hot water, that's enough heat to get it to "melt", no need to put it on the stove and that's not even as hot as the sun in the tropics. It's just fine.

Oh, and of course as usual, if YOU don't like it don't have any.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 01:55PM by coco.

Date: March 27, 2012 01:58PM

The forum is for sharing views it is not a like or not like issue. This may explain why some need black pepper. The non raw food they are eating is not digestible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 01:59PM by madinah.

Date: March 27, 2012 02:05PM

If you've got something helpful to share, go for it. A study, a link, something useful or informative for a change? We're all ears...

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: March 27, 2012 02:08PM

Ugh. Listening to you two bicker for sport is about as healthy as doing crack in a war zone.

Date: March 27, 2012 02:27PM

The damage heated oild causes to the body had been studied years ago by Norman Walker. This is basic knowledge in raw food literature. Walker makes reference to that in many of his writings especially in Become Younger. [www.amazon.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 02:36PM by madinah.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 27, 2012 04:30PM

madinah,

Norman Walker said and did a lot of things, some of which have been discredited by actual science, some of which have been confirmed. For example, we now know that heated olive oil is dangerous because heating oxidizes it and creates carcinogenic compounds. There is little evidence, as yet, that this same process occurs in all plant oils, because each is unique chemically. Bringing coconut oil up to warm room temperature in still warm water does not cook it, so the argument doesn't apply here.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 27, 2012 04:31PM

Coconut oil melts at 76F. The body's temperature is 98.6F.

HEATING oils is not good, but allowing them to soften at less than body temperature is not going to inflict any more damage than eating it raw.

I would just steer very clear of any corn that's not organic...

I wish I could get purple corn. I'm sure that would be amazing!

Date: March 27, 2012 04:46PM

The hulls are the most nutritious part--of course!

This was interesting to read--thanks!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 27, 2012 05:46PM

madinah Wrote:
> The forum is for sharing views it is not a like or
> not like issue. This may explain why some need
> black pepper. The non raw food they are eating is
> not digestible.

Buzz kill...sad smiley

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 27, 2012 05:49PM

I have an air popper and man, organic popcorn is only $1.39 a pound at WF! Do you know how many quarts a pound makes?

I use Earth Balance most of the time. Haven't tried the coconut oil. It's also got lots of fiber.

Date: March 27, 2012 06:24PM

Our popper is hysterical, the popped kernels go flying out all over the room! I put a tea towel over the chute and the bowl or we're finding it all over the kitchen for weeks, does it ever fly! lol. Fun with food.

Date: March 27, 2012 07:19PM

Tamukha Wrote:
> madinah,
>
> Norman Walker said and did a lot of things, some
> of which have been discredited by actual science,
> some of which have been confirmed. For example,
> we now know that heated olive oil is dangerous
> because heating oxidizes it and creates
> carcinogenic compounds. There is little evidence,
> as yet, that this same process occurs in all plant
> oils, because each is unique chemically. Bringing
> coconut oil up to warm room temperature in still
> warm water does not cook it, so the argument
> doesn't apply here.
So you are confirming that heated olive oil is dangerous because it oxidizes and creates carcinogenic compounds, but you are not sure about plant oils so you will try it until science get you the right answer. Intersting. Some of the things Einstein said are questionable today.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 27, 2012 09:16PM

You can also listen to your body.

Sine I've been raw, the odd time I've been out somewhere/in a situation/whatever where I decided to go ahead and eat some veggies in fried oil... the resulting feeling... is incredibly disgusting and nasty.

I think if you learn to really listen to your body, you can determine what is healthy and what isn't.

Sometimes I like to warm raw soups in a pot on the stove, on low heat, just warm enough so I can still stick my finger in. Sometimes I put a splash of oil in these soups and I feel ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like I would have eating a big plate of fried, greasy vegetables.

It's also scientifically documented that different compounds undergo different transformations at different temperatures. It would be incredibly useful if someone had a resource for these points for various oils.

For example, if memory serves me correctly, around 700F, most saturated fats become trans fats... no idea where that source went anymore, though.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 27, 2012 09:42PM

Its one thing to have a high antioxidant content, but its another thing to have those antioxidants be absorbed by the human body. Turmeric has a high antioxidant content, but people seem to only be able to absorb about 4% of it, as the body is not used to getting the antioxidant out of the turmeric.

If there is a lot of antioxidant in the hulls, well the hulls are hard to digest, in fact, they may be treated like fiber in the body and not really be dissolved or digested well.

Date: March 27, 2012 09:47PM

Exactly right, our body knows when it comes to food. Oil, processed fat is hard to digest to start with, now we are saying it is ok for us and our litte ones because we do not have proof yet it is dangerous for the body.

Date: March 28, 2012 01:25AM

Oh. M. G. Call child services, quick! Organic popcorn with the dreaded slightly warmed up coconut oil and nutritional yeast with *gasp!* sea salt!

LOL! grinning smiley

We're not talking about a bag of cheetos and a can of coke here. I think we can just RELAX. Good grief.

Date: March 28, 2012 01:44AM

If there's anything worse for the earth than corn production I'd like to see it. I know I would't let that stuff foul my bod.

coco Wrote:
> Oh. M. G. Call child services, quick! Organic
> popcorn with the dreaded slightly warmed up
> coconut oil and nutritional yeast with *gasp!* sea
> salt!
>
> LOL! grinning smiley
>
> We're not talking about a bag of cheetos and a can
> of coke here. I think we can just RELAX. Good
> grief.

Date: March 28, 2012 02:03AM

Conventional corn, sure. Organic heritage popcorn however has been grown in South America since 3600BC in a natural self-sustaining cycle. It's easy to grow and planted in a guild like the 3 sisters (corn, beans and squash) it exists in a symbiotic relationship that nourishes the soil.

You know, you could say that conventional farming of anything is destroying the planet and you'd be right. You can choose the source of many of those foods that are the biggest culprits of world devastation though.
Here's a handy list to help.
[www.organic.org]

The biggest GMO crops are tomatoes, potatoes, corn, soy and wheat, those I try to always always buy organic.

Date: March 28, 2012 01:18PM

Where do you get organic heritage popcorn from S. America? Is there enough of that to feed 7 billion people? Can we stop tearing down millions of square miles of land to grow corn and start using organic heritage popcorn from S. America? How much does it cost?

Date: March 28, 2012 01:49PM

You can grow it in your own garden or purchase organic corn from a farmer in your area, the local CSA grows organic corn here and I've gotten them interested in a few different heritage varieties this year. There are several types of popcorn grown here already though not organic by our biggest local producer (who is still quite a small operation).
As I'm sure you're aware, much of the corn grown world wide is not produced as a food crop for humans, that's a bit of a strawman arguement there, no?
And, as always, if you don't personally like it simply don't have any for yourself. Easy solution. This condemnation of others who don't mind having popcorn as a simple snack on occasion is completely over the top.

Date: March 28, 2012 02:57PM

There are so many food choices, so many fruits and other things for snack that not having popcorn should not be an issue.

I actually forgot about popcorn for the last 5 years until few days ago on this forum.

Date: March 28, 2012 03:26PM

So sorry. Didn't mean to wreck your day by not sharing your love of corn. Not sure where I condemned you, but if you insist...

coco Wrote:
> You can grow it in your own garden or purchase
> organic corn from a farmer in your area, the local
> CSA grows organic corn here and I've gotten them
> interested in a few different heritage varieties
> this year. There are several types of popcorn
> grown here already though not organic by our
> biggest local producer (who is still quite a small
> operation).
> As I'm sure you're aware, much of the corn grown
> world wide is not produced as a food crop for
> humans, that's a bit of a strawman arguement
> there, no?
> And, as always, if you don't personally like it
> simply don't have any for yourself. Easy solution.
> This condemnation of others who don't mind having
> popcorn as a simple snack on occasion is
> completely over the top.

Date: March 28, 2012 03:49PM

To clarify why I don't like corn for dietary reasons, one cup of the stuff has a carb load of 123 grams. I like staying nice and lean. When I eat dense carbs like that, my belly gets poochie, face gets puffy, and my GI gets thrown off its game. It's not for me. Everything that corn possesses can be had with much lighter and tastier sources. Whatever hope it has of tasting good comes from cooking it. Raw forum here, remember? And it's really just a vehicle for salt and fat, sort of like bread. If I want either of those, I'll combine them with stuff that's a bit more high class. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 03:52PM by HeavenHands.

Date: March 28, 2012 03:53PM

coco,

As I'm sure you're aware, much of the corn grown world wide is not produced as a food crop for humans, that's a bit of a strawman arguement there, no?

Right; you cannot honestly make the corn-is-bad argument without admitting most corn is grown for meat production, the real destroyer of the ecosystem. Clearly, we are not talking about SuperSweet Corn or feed corn in this thread, so we shouldn't be conflating commercial crop corn and artisinal corn in the discussion.

HeavenHands,

It seems to me that coco is saying: Here are my reasons for including popcorn in the family diet, all sensible, and hey, if you don't like popcorn, don't eat it.
Whereas you seem to be suggesting that her popcorn consumption is destroying our ecosystem and she should be ashamed. Otherwise, why bring commercial corn growing unnecessarily into the discussion?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables