Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Popcorn higher in antioxidants than fruit/veg
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 28, 2012 04:05PM

HH: ???? "High-class?" Whatever. In any case, just because your body can't tolerate it doesn't mean some of us cannot enjoy it on occasion. And I love when people toss out "this is a raw forum" when it's also a vegan forum and people sometimes mention cooked foods. I discovered that there are hundreds of varieties of corn and that MonSATAN has been trying to edge them out in Mexico (which bases its whole culture on corn) so that only a few varieties are available. sad smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 28, 2012 04:26PM

I think im allergic to corn if i remember, a food intolerance test picked it up. But i never feel particularly bad when i have ate corn compared to the likes of gluten and wheat.

I would probably eat popcorn as a snack now and again but its got that horrible hair standing on end feeling when you chew it lol.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 04:26PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 28, 2012 05:04PM

I think it's a common allergen. I love the flavor but I dislike the sugary hybridized versions these days. It's all sugar and little flavor. There is nothing better than a cob of corn in late summer to me!

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: March 28, 2012 05:07PM

They're now stepping over each other to take shots at me.

Well, I'd gladly tear into some popcorn if I was sitting on a pleather couch with TamCocoWho and we were watching documentaries about how evil food corporations are. I guess I'm not very committed to this cause. You win!

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 28, 2012 05:32PM

I do like the taste of raw corn (SO SWEET, why would anyone cook it?!), but like I said, I'm not really sure where to get my hands on the good stuff around here. A little bit in a salsa or soup could be nice.

If everyone on earth stopped eating meat and only occasionally ate sustainably grown corn to make a snack or jazz up a salsa, the ecosystem would be in a VASTLY different state than it presently is.

I wonder, how much corn does it take to load up one can of pop with HFCS?

I make cauliflower popcorn... just chop cauliflower in some olive oil, sea salt (and [sacrosanct] black pepper tongue sticking out smiley ), stick in the dehydrator and let it go until it shrinks down to puffy little popcorn-like pieces!

Date: March 28, 2012 05:53PM

Corn is so ubiquitous. People would also have to stop eating so many processed foods and then there's the ethanol thing.

phantom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do like the taste of raw corn (SO SWEET, why
> would anyone cook it?!), but like I said, I'm not
> really sure where to get my hands on the good
> stuff around here. A little bit in a salsa or soup
> could be nice.
>
> If everyone on earth stopped eating meat and only
> occasionally ate sustainably grown corn to make a
> snack or jazz up a salsa, the ecosystem would be
> in a VASTLY different state than it presently is.
>
> I wonder, how much corn does it take to load up
> one can of pop with HFCS?
>
> I make cauliflower popcorn... just chop
> cauliflower in some olive oil, sea salt (and
> black pepper tongue sticking out smiley ), stick in the dehydrator and let
> it go until it shrinks down to puffy little
> popcorn-like pieces!

Date: March 28, 2012 05:56PM

Seriously, I hope that no one has any ill feelings toward me based on this thread. I only meant to share my opinion, something that is first and foremost based in a dietary preference. Corn and the environment is a very complex topic.

Date: March 28, 2012 05:59PM

Or people could stop eating processed foods that contain corn products and cut back on their meat consumption and only eat grass-fed. I don't think that trying to force everyone to eat my diet is what's healthiest for all. A lot of people become very unhealthy on even the best of vegan diets. To expect everyone to become vegan and remain healthy is not realistic.

phantom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do like the taste of raw corn (SO SWEET, why
> would anyone cook it?!), but like I said, I'm not
> really sure where to get my hands on the good
> stuff around here. A little bit in a salsa or soup
> could be nice.
>
> If everyone on earth stopped eating meat and only
> occasionally ate sustainably grown corn to make a
> snack or jazz up a salsa, the ecosystem would be
> in a VASTLY different state than it presently is.
>
> I wonder, how much corn does it take to load up
> one can of pop with HFCS?
>
> I make cauliflower popcorn... just chop
> cauliflower in some olive oil, sea salt (and
> black pepper tongue sticking out smiley ), stick in the dehydrator and let
> it go until it shrinks down to puffy little
> popcorn-like pieces!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 29, 2012 01:59PM

HeavenHands,

phantom says:

If everyone on earth stopped eating meat and only occasionally ate sustainably grown corn to make a snack or jazz up a salsa, the ecosystem would be in a VASTLY different state than it presently is.

and you say:

People would also have to stop eating so many processed foods and then there's the ethanol thing.
and,

Or people could stop eating processed foods that contain corn products and cut back on their meat consumption . . .

which is what coco and I said, or implied an admittance of, at least. I fear that we are all basically saying the same thing and talking over one another! confused smiley

P.S. Pleather is a petroleum by product; if that movie-watchin' couch is upholstered in nice, sustainably harvested and process hemp, I'm in smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2012 02:01PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: May 14, 2012 07:11AM

Popcorn is not good for your health after all.

Popcorn should be a great snack. It is a whole grain, naturally low in calories, and recent research has found that popped kernels are surprisingly high in antioxidants, even higher than many fruits and vegetables. So where did this super-snack go super-wrong? In the hands of food manufacturers, that's where. How does this version compare to an order of McDonald's Kids Fries ? A serving of Pop-Secret has 70 more calories, 7 grams more total fat, 2 grams more saturated fat, 4.5 grams more trans fat, and 310 milligrams more sodium than the fried spuds.
Serving size: 2 tablespoons unpopped
Calories: 170
Total fat: 12 grams
Saturated fat: 2.5 grams
Trans fat: 4.5 grams

[shine.yahoo.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2012 07:13AM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 14, 2012 11:48AM

RawPracticalist,

I don't think this thread originally concerned junk food popcorn, but natural corn for popping. It shouldn't be a surprise that, like all wholesome foods stripped of their wholesomeness, commercially processed popcorn is bad for you. Water is wet, etc.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables