Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Taking Victoria Boutenko's advice
Posted by: spectrum ()
Date: April 16, 2012 03:48PM

I read in one of victoria boutenko's books to host a raw potluck. I don't know any raw fooders in person, so I have invited a few open minded friends to come over and I am going to make some dinner for everyone.

victoria boutenko said to do this to get support from the community while on the raw path.

If you were having non-raw fooders for dinner, what raw dishes would you make?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Taking Victoria Boutenko's advice
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 16, 2012 04:58PM

Lots of easy snacky things. Veggies and raw dips, raw crackers (you can purchase them if you don't make them), green juices, simple ingredient smoothies they can make on the spot.

You could have fresh whole pineapples ready to juice, apples are great tasting to juice also.

I've gone to raw pot-lucks, and I've had my own raw pot-lucks. Have fun!

Love,
Prism

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: April 17, 2012 02:21PM

i'd make fancier fun stuff like pizza! or ice cream! or nachos or probably a big ol cheezcake. chocolate covered bananas would be fun too. i'd make fun things that will help people realize how yummy raw can be!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 17, 2012 02:31PM

A variety of dishes to show versatility and flavour in the diet.

-Big beautiful salad with lots of cut up, shaved, spiralized veg
-2 or 3 dressings, very different flavours (sweet, savory, spicy).
-Guacamole and salsa with cut up veggie chips.
-a smoothie or fresh juice.
-a more substantial dish as people are used to heavier foods, rawsagne or a nut/seed pate, nori rolls.
-a dessert, there are terrific recipes on the sunnyrawkitchen blog, chocolates and cakes, tons of impressive sweeties.

This is all very fancy and expensive though. I have impressed people with just a salad loaded with sprouts and lots of colourful veggies. You could have tasting parties with friends where you feature just one special dish instead of a whole spread, then you can meet again and again.

Best of luck!

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 17, 2012 02:45PM

I find you have to tailor it to your guests but keep it open so that there is something for everyone, without being silly and making too much food.

Whilst i know a few of my non-raw guests would appreciate a nice colourful salad the majority of my friends sadly probably wouldn't.

So more gourmet transitionary foods would be needed. Desert is easy as there are so many great raw deserts. An easy one that is cacao free but still "chocolatey" is blending an avocado, dates and some carob powder to make a raw "chocolate" mousse. My recipe is in the recipe section i think.

Always have some back up fruit just incase smiling smiley.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2012 02:45PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 17, 2012 02:59PM

Raw corn chips with raw tomato or citrus salsa; lettuce wraps with seed cheese and julienned veggies; mini raw cheesecakes topped with raw blueberry or strawberry puree. Caution: these would be labor intensive and the supplies might be expensive, but they would go over BIG with non-raw guests!

Date: April 17, 2012 03:57PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Raw corn chips with raw tomato or citrus salsa;
> lettuce wraps with seed cheese and julienned
> veggies; mini raw cheesecakes topped with raw
> blueberry or strawberry puree. Caution: these
> would be labor intensive and the supplies might be
> expensive, but they would go over BIG with non-raw
> guests!

Already has my mouth watering, thanks tamuka lol smiling smiley.

http:/www.vegankingdom.co.uk

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 17, 2012 05:16PM

Once you get your friends in with the first raw pot luck, the next ones can be where everyone brings some kind of raw food/dish.

Oh yes..don't forget the desserts..even if some are reluctant to try the main dishes they will always give the sweets a try!

Love,
Prism

Date: April 17, 2012 05:22PM

powerlifer,

grinning smiley

Date: April 18, 2012 10:17PM

Thanks guys, I am nervous, but I hope it goes well. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Date: April 23, 2012 03:53PM

Hey everyone, my dinner went over with flying colours. Friends of mine said they are going to make kale chips instead of popcorn now. All the food was eaten and everyone just loved it. Made me feel so good.

I make sushi with cauliflower rice, stuffed cucumbers, romaine tacos with cashew sour cream. Sour cream and onion kale chips, flax crackers, blueberry pie and ice cream.

After dinner one guest couldn't stop smiling and just said, "I am so happy." One guest is diabetic and said her family was so proud of her coming to try new food. She was cautious at first, but loved everything.

I want to do it again, but my friends thought they could experiment with raw recipes and make it a bit more of a potluck.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 23, 2012 03:58PM

That sounds amazing! I am so happy you had success and it'll be such fun to have potlucks with friends trying out new raw recipes. Good for you, all that hard work and planning paid off nicely. Your menu sounds delish smiling smiley.
I would love your recipe for sour cream and onion kale chips if you'd care to post it in the recipe forum some time. I'm sure my kids would really enjoy those.

Date: April 23, 2012 04:26PM

Sour cream and onion kale chips
Soak 1 cup cashews in water for 5-8 hours
Drain nuts and put in blender
Add one tablespoon miso paste
3-5 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
One small onion
Blend. You may need to add some water for it to blend well.
Wash one large bunch of kale, and break into chip-size pieces.
Mix in large bowl with cashew mixture.
Put on dehydrator trays and dehydrate. May take between 6-12 hours depending on machine.

Date: April 23, 2012 06:01PM

That's great, spectrum! You should get raw ambassador credentials! smiling smiley

Date: April 23, 2012 08:11PM

Sounds nice spectrum must try smiling smiley.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables