Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
I don't know why this amuses me so much: "Is a 100% Fruit Diet Healthy?"
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 17, 2012 12:36AM

[www.youtube.com]

I noticed that one-third of the voters disliked the video (interview with Dr. Gabriel Cousens). Well, probably disliked the dis of a total fruit diet. I then remembered that Cousens was a low-gycemic person. So it's another philosophy, I suppose. Interesting, anyhow.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I don't know why this amuses me so much: "Is a 100% Fruit Diet Healthy?"
Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: April 17, 2012 02:20AM

I remember watching this awhile back and here are the notes I took...

JR’s Notes:

6:23 MM
We also know that Cancer Cells need 10 to 50 times more glucose or fructose. It’s like wow, if you’ve got Cancer, you don’t want to be having a lot of Fruit because it can aggravate it.

Now is that just my idea?

No, you’ve got Brian Clement down at the Hippocrates, you go other places, we know that Fruit / Sugar is going to aggravate Cancer Cells.

JR Insert from “Brian Clement” file…
[www.youtube.com]
Brian Clement Interview at Raw Spirit Festival Maryland
9:50 Minute Video

Brian Clement used to weigh 240 pounds, addicted to sugar and smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day. In this video, he looks about 30 to 40 pounds overweight. Brian Clement claims there’s no difference between fructose and glucose and to prove it, he uses isolated fructose as an example. And then, to get enough calories, he uses gorillas as an example of getting enough sugar out of lettuce, but gorillas eat 40 to 50 pounds of food a day! Unconscious Addicts [JR - Denial]

5:25 MM
“So pet scans that we use for diagnostic work for cancer. They inject sugar into the body. I have a colleague in California that took apple and took the sugar out of it – injected that into 3 of his patients – the same exact results came from the apple juice extract, the sugar fructose, as did the glucose.

So I know this is difficult for a lot of you listening to hear, but you’re still addicted, you still have a problem. And until you grow beyond that and put sugar in the place it should be – very little and stop listening to the cheerleader addicts that you need glucose for energy and you need it for calories and all of these things, the amount of glucose one needs or sugar you need to feed the cell comes from lettuce. I mean, gorillas obviously, that’s how they’re so strong and healthy and vital.” 6:18 MM
End of JR Insert from “Brian Clement” file.

Peace and Love..........John

Posted by: klandestine ()
Date: April 17, 2012 06:58AM

I haven't watched the vid yet but commenting on one of John's notes - We are not removing the sugar from apples and injecting it. I think there's a huge difference between eating an apple and shooting its sugar hypodermically.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 17, 2012 07:55AM

Although, isn't juicing a bit like injecting, if you think about it...?

I think what the body needs in an optimal condition vs. healing something like cancer may be different. "No fruit!" is not a one size fits all. I've experimented with months of 100% fruitarian (not a bite of any leaf), and I looked the best, felt the best I ever have in my life. Moles fell off. My skin was incredible. I had a six pack out of nowhere.

But... eventually... It got cold, food went out of season, I felt like I became sensitive to a detriment (e.g., experienced psychoactive effects from essential oil mouthwash).

Lately, there's been very little quality fruit available, and it shows in my skin.

So, I think when you're healthy, there has to be a balance, experienced uniquely through your body as what is right for you, and in harmony with the place you live on the globe.

The most important thing about a raw food diet, for me, as far as health is concerned, is the neuroprotection. Vitamin C is concentrated around the brain 100x more than anywhere else in the body. A few odd greens are really high in Vitamin C, but other than that, it's fruit, baby. I don't want my grey matter to rot.

Cancer definitely arises from toxic conditions in the body and from toxic exposures in the environment. It's important to get grounded, eat your greens, heal, replenish, and do dig in the fruit now and then to fly. =)

*Also: fats are pretty freaking important for the brain, too. I question the safety of a low-fat fruit diet for any long period of time. Cousens' recommendations for fat percentages always struck me as the most reasonable.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 17, 2012 09:52AM

There is no doubt that cancer cells feed on sugar this is well documented which is why we probably don't want an excess of it. But there are many different types of sugar, if i want something sugary i go for some fruit where you have various anti-cancer nutrients and phyto-nutrients compared to a refined sugar laden cookie for example.

Still don't think its a great idea to substantially lower other macronutrients in order to eat excessive carbohydrate diets. We are now starting to see a number of raw fooders following high sugar diets developing raised triglycerides.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: klandestine ()
Date: April 17, 2012 09:52AM

phantom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Although, isn't juicing a bit like injecting, if
> you think about it...?

Perhaps, but maybe there's something to be said for the digestive process rather than bypassing it and hitting the bloodstream right off the bat?

> I think what the body needs in an optimal
> condition vs. healing something like cancer may be
> different. "No fruit!" is not a one size fits all.
> I've experimented with months of 100% fruitarian
> (not a bite of any leaf), and I looked the best,
> felt the best I ever have in my life. Moles fell
> off. My skin was incredible. I had a six pack out
> of nowhere.
>
> But... eventually... It got cold, food went out of
> season, I felt like I became sensitive to a
> detriment (e.g., experienced psychoactive effects
> from essential oil mouthwash).
>
> Lately, there's been very little quality fruit
> available, and it shows in my skin.

I'm with you on the 100% fruitarian for months.... Living where I live, I've had to cycle my eating patterns. I've had the best healing over the summer months when fruit is plentiful. I can easily go for for three months with nothing but fruit. Best skin ever! In the late fall, winter and early spring I add the greens back to my diet, more veggies and more fats.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: April 17, 2012 12:52PM

i wonder what fruit bats eat?

you will find also that many primates eat primarily fruit.

any cancer epidemics among them?

but they're not humans!
but they're eating wild foods lower in sugar?
but, but but.

doesn't matter.
lots of sugar in wild fruit.

it doesn't matter whether we eat all leaves or all fruit, as long as we don't eat too much or too little.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 17, 2012 12:54PM

Great video, thanks. I could never live on all or mostly sweet fruit, I crave greens.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 17, 2012 01:17PM

I love fruit and greens, luckily! Respect Brian Clement, generally, but this, unless it is totally out of context, is so completely biologically incorrect I just don't know what he could mean by it:

. . . stop listening to the cheerleader addicts that you need glucose for energy . . .

The liver manufactures glucose as necessary, but fructose comes from food, THeStOrm smiling smiley

Date: April 17, 2012 01:30PM

clement is not worthy of being respected.

he probably is using the word "glucose" above for "fruit"

misleading nonsense.

because he uses words interchangeably to suit his purposes.

from a website quoting mr clement:
"Mutagens such as cancer and fibrocystic disease, and microbes such as bacteria and virus feed on the blood glucose."

um, no blood glucose means you're dead.
if it's above a certain level of blood glucose, then, quantify it!

he is one of the most unscientific persons i know
nothing is ever qualified properly by mr clement.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 17, 2012 06:25PM

Interestingly, though, there IS that eat-only-grapes cancer cure...

When good fruit is scarce, enormous salads are wonderful to have. <3 And beautiful root veggies...

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 18, 2012 01:15AM

I like fruit and greens. From what I've seen, including fruit, greens, and some nuts and seeds and about 15% calories from fat on average over a year works for me and nutritionally adds up if I get enough sun exposure and take a sublingual B12. The proof is in the numbers for daily allowances of vitamins and minerals. And I include nonsweet fruits, too, OF COURSE! What would I do without tomatoes and avocados. LOL

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: April 18, 2012 07:52AM

"Let's be scientific."

Great idea!

I would like to see the scientific validation of Cousen's claims in the form of papers pbulished in internationally acclaimed peer-reviewed journals.

Also, I would like to see the papers published by Cousens with respect to the climical studies he mentions.

References anyone? (I looked on Scopus, my favorite databased, and have not found anything published by Cousens there)

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: April 18, 2012 02:53PM

dr cousens is his own research group! he has treated and cured SOOO many people and studied their blood the whole time he has figured out the ultimate healing diet. He doesn't have to write papers, he writes books. if you don't trust 20+ years of research, then what do you trust?

Dr. Cousens has his game on lockdown!

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 18, 2012 03:41PM

Well, every Dr I know wants to have at least one paper published. Also, what I'd like to know is what kind of Dr is he?

Date: April 18, 2012 04:17PM

RAWLION,

To be fair, if you are going to use the language of science, and admonish people to "be scientific," you have to have methodologically sound data to back up everything you say. That's how it works. Or don't talk like you are being scientific and we should just take what you say on faith. If Cousens has the body of research you say he has to corroborate his postulations, he needs to release it legitimately.

Posted by: vegmichelle ()
Date: April 18, 2012 08:25PM

I particularly enjoy how he doesn't know the difference between "mental retardation" (which, btw, I thought we were calling an "intellectual disability) and "brain fog". He complains that research is wrong, and demonstrates its falseness by contrasting his own personal experiences.

Keeping it raw at [rawfoodhealthwatch.com]

Date: April 18, 2012 11:59PM

"dr cousens is his own research group! he has treated and cured SOOO many people and studied their blood the whole time he has figured out the ultimate healing diet. He doesn't have to write papers, he writes books. if you don't trust 20+ years of research, then what do you trust? "

I am sorry, but this is nonsense. "Research" that hasn't got a single scientific publication that one can open and read, and that has not went through a rigorous review process, is not something that one should rely on. There is nothing scientific about that either.

Anyone can make any claims they like. Anyone can say that they have tonnes of experience. Anyone can write about about a raw food diet. Anyone can make a youtube video. Anyone can open up a healing institute. Anyone with a microscope and a little bit of background can say anything they like on anything they want.

The standard within the scientific community is that scientific research gets published in peer-reviewed papers. Publications go through rigorous process that puts the finding to the test.

I would like to see at least a single publication, for start, does not have to be published by Cousens, that backs up his claims, so that I can open and read it, and see whether what he says holds any water.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: April 19, 2012 12:25AM

Some refs on fruit and cancer:

(1)
Skuladottir H., Tjoenneland A., Overvad K., Stripp C., Olsen J.H.
Does high intake of fruit and vegetables improve lung cancer survival?
(2006) Lung Cancer, 51 (3) , pp. 267-273.

"Our study suggests that high intake of fruit and vegetables might have a favourable effect on the prognosis of lung cancer patients, but a high intake of potatoes appears to increase the hazard of dying."

(2)
Pierce J.P., Stefanick M.L., Flatt S.W., Natarajan L., Sternfeld B., Madlensky L., Al-Delaimy W.K., (...), Rock C.L.
Greater survival after breast cancer in physically active women with high vegetable-fruit intake regardless of obesity
(2007) Journal of Clinical Oncology, 25 (17) , pp. 2345-2351.

"A minority of breast cancer survivors follow a healthy lifestyle that includes both recommended intakes of vegetables-fruits and moderate levels of physical activity. The strong protective effect observed suggests a need for additional investigation of the effect of the combined influence of diet and physical activity on breast cancer survival."

(3)
Hardin J., Cheng I., Witte J.S.
Impact of consumption of vegetable, fruit, grain, and high glycemic index foods on aggressive prostate cancer risk
(2011) Nutrition and Cancer, 63 (6) , pp. 860-872.

"Similarly, high consumption of fruits, specifically berries and cantaloupe were both inversely associated with aggressive prostate cancer (P trend < 0.01)."

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: April 19, 2012 12:45AM

Cancer and glucose:

(1)
Luo, J., Chen, Y.-J., Chang, L.-J.
Fasting blood glucose level and prognosis in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients.
Lung Cancer 76 (2) , pp. 242-247, 2012.

"Diabetes as indicated by elevated fasting blood glucose was independently associated with a significantly higher risk of all-cause mortality in patients with NSCLC (non-small cell lung cancer), indicating that diabetes or hyperglycemia effectively controlled may present an opportunity for improving prognosis in NSCLS patients with abnormal glucose level."

(2)
Devalaraja, S., Jain, S., Yadav, H.
Exotic fruits as therapeutic complements for diabetes, obesity and metabolic syndrome.
Food Research International 44 (7) , pp. 1856-1865, 2011.

"Although exotic fruits are understudied throughout the world due to their limited regional presence, many studies reveal their potent ability to ameliorate metabolic derangements and the resultant conditions i.e. diabetes and obesity. The aim of this article is to review the role of exotic fruits and their constituents in the regulation of metabolic functions, which can beneficially alter diabetes and obesity pathophysiology"

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: April 19, 2012 01:02AM

TheStorm, could you please find a single scientific reference to back up Cousen's claim? He says that we need to be scientific, and so I would like to see some scientific evidence. smiling smiley

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: April 19, 2012 01:25AM

When evaluating a food's effect on a disease state, you have to consider the whole food, not just a constituent. Fruit has sugar, true. But it also has antioxidents and phytochemicals as well. A number of fruits have angiogenesis inhibitors which limit a tumor's ability to signal the body for more blood supply.

Not all sugar is created equal. The whole food is what will determine the net effect on the body.

Paul

Date: April 19, 2012 01:38AM

"Why do you want ME to cite sources Here when they are already on his articles and his books? lol. I dont want to right now really.."

Anyone can write an article or a book. There are not considered reputable scientifis resources.

So, I am trying to find SOME scientific references to back up his claims. I was hoping that those who are into his diet, might have something to share. smiling smiley

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: April 19, 2012 03:14PM

the problem with scientific studies is that you end up with people thinking that garlic is health promoting, for example, when instead, the conclusion relies on a false paradigm and sloppy experimentation, unbenownst to those who wish to rationalize their addictions.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: April 19, 2012 04:30PM

Reminding everyone of my article defending fruit.

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Date: April 19, 2012 04:32PM

Fresh,

Could you elaborate on your statements about garlic and the false paradigmn?

Paul

Date: April 19, 2012 05:25PM

fresh,

Echoing Paul, please explain.

Date: April 19, 2012 05:41PM

aspects of the paradigm i was referring to that distorts reality:

-if something is irritating, it is good for us
-if something is stimulating, it is good for us
-if something is anti biotic, it is "healing"
-if we take garlic and note a result, it was due to the garlic
(too many variables, sloppy experimentation, assumptions, etc)
-biologic systems are incapable of healing themselves without exogenous substances
-health requires human modulation
(we love to tinker, it gives us the illusion of control)
-increased mucus is "good" and "healing" after irritant ingestion

forgive me if i don't promote something that burns the anus as health promoting.
;-)

also, i have not confirmed the below, but it is interesting:

GARLIC - TOXIC SHOCK! Reprinted from Nexus Feb/Mar 2001

The reason garlic is so toxic, the sulphone hydroxyl ion
penetrates the blood-brain barrier, just like DMSO, and is a
specific poison for higher-life forms and brain cells. We
discovered this, much to our horror, when I (Bob Beck, DSc)
was the world's largest manufacturer of ethical EEG feedback
equipment.

We'd have people come back from lunch that looked
clinically dead on an encephalograph, which we used to
calibrate their progress. "Well, what happened?" "Well, I
went to an Italian restaurant and there was some garlic in
my salad dressing!" So we had them sign things that they
wouldn't touch garlic before classes or we were wasting
their time, their money and my time.

I guess some of you who are pilots or have been in flight
tests...I was in flight test engineering in Doc Hallan's
group in the 1950's. The flight surgeon would come around
every month and remind all of us: "Don't you dare touch any
garlic 72 hours before you fly one of our airplanes, because
it'll double or triple your reaction time. You're three
times slower than you would be if you'd not had a few drops
of garlic."

Well, we didn't know why for 20 years later, until I owned
the Alpha-Metrics Corporation. We were building biofeed-back
equipment and found out that garlic usually desynchronises
your brain waves.

So I funded a study at Stanford and, sure enough, they
found that it's a poison. You can rub a clove of garlic on
your foot - a you can smell it shortly later on your wrists.
So it penetrates the body. This is why DMSO smells a lot
like garlic: that sulphone hydroxyl ion penetrates all the
barriers including the corpus callosum in the brain.

Any of you who are organic gardeners know that if you don't
want to use DDT, garlic will kill anything in the way of
insects.

Now, most people have heard most of their lives garlic is
good for you, and we put those people in the same class of
ignorance as the mothers who at the turn of the century
would buy morphine sulphate in the drugstore and give it to
their babies to put'em to sleep.

If you have any patients who have low-grade headaches or
attention deficit disorder, they can't quite focus on the
computer in the after-noon, just do an experiment - you owe
it to yourselves. Take these people off garlic and see how
much better they get, very very shortly. And then let them
eat a little garlic after about three weeks. They'll say "My
God, I had no idea that this was the cause of our problems."
And this includes the de-skunked garlic's, Kyolic, some of
the other products.

Very unpopular, but I've got to tell you the truth.

Source: From a lecture by Dr. Robert C Beck, DSc, given at
the Whole Life Expo, Seattle, WA, USA, in March 1996, Nexus
Magazine.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 19, 2012 05:53PM

Isn't this yet another case of moderation versus consuming large amounts of something? I don't eat garlic left and right but a half clove in a salad is hardly a health threat, I would imagine.

Date: April 19, 2012 06:00PM

Rawgosia has recently asked for scientific research in supporting health statements on the forum. I agree entirely. On garlic, I realize it does not fit the Natural Hygiene model. And at least some data suggests it is the most powerful anticancer food on the planet. [nutritionfacts.org]. For the site... Sources Cited
D. Boivin, S. Lamy, S. Lord-Dufour, J. Jackson, E. Beaulieu, M. C^ote, A. Moghrabi, S. Barrette, D. Gingras, and R. Beliveau. Antiproliferative and antioxidant activities of common vegetables: A comparative study. Food Chem., 112(2):374{380, 2009.

Not only is garlic good for us. It may well be the most powerful anti cancer food on the planet. It will take more time to establish that. But a recommendation not to eat it? You can make your own decision.

"Volatile" Paul

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables