Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Beating cravings.
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: October 17, 2006 06:28AM

Hi,

this is thread I'd like to start for all the people who have problems following their desired life style because of craving for cooked food.

I personally would like to understand more about the causes of the cravings that different people have, as well as help solve as many as possible and atleast investigate the ones that don't get solved.

I was forunate enough to have a very smooth transition to raw foods and would like to share my thoughts on my approach to it and what I learned, and hopefully learn from others.

I learnt that cravings are part of ourself's and mean something. If we crave a cerain food, we are most likely craving something contained in or about the food. There is nothing wrong with following up on the craving regardless of the food, but there maybe alternatives.

The Three main reason to crave a food.

1) Nutrition. You want a Nutrient from the food.
Solution: Eat foods with similar nutriational value.
Symptoms: Craving a certain dish or spice.

2) Energy. You need energy foods.
Solution: Eat high energy foods. Like fruits and starchy
sugary root veggies like carrots, also avocados and coconuts
for fats.
Symptoms: Craving high energy foods (soda, icecream, bread,
candy, more sugar) and starchy foods (potatoes, pastas, breads).

3) Entertainment. Eating the same foods can be boring. Cakes, breads,
pastas, chips, etc. are fun to eat, more fun than Khale.
Soluation: Make fun foods, make cakes, bread, pastas, chips and
many more dishes. There is no limit other than imagination to
what raw chiefs can do.
Symptoms: Wanting to eat icecream, cakes, cookies, spicy foods,
food that looks really good.

Identifying why you are craving something can be hard, but try to be objective about it. Maybe it's sugar? Maybe it's fat? Maybe it's the texture? Or whatever. But once you identify the true reason, there is no reason to deny yourself what it is that you truely crave. And, as I've found, there is a raw recipe to match almost all SAD recipes.

YAY!
Ian.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beating cravings.
Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: October 17, 2006 12:54PM

Thanks for starting this post, Ian. I would say number 2 is what I'm working through... good thing I love fruit smiling smiley

Posted by: innerview ()
Date: October 17, 2006 02:18PM

my cravings seem to be #3 entertainment...
or past life association...
I love pizza! My father was Italian and I grew up on Italian food.
There's nothing like a hot, cheese dripping, crispy crust, veggie pizza. mm-mm good.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 18, 2006 02:34AM

I'm Italian as well.....grew up with a lot of food is love and all those Italian pastas, sausages, bread and pizza's. Momma smothered us with all that love cookin'. She just didn't know any different.

I made some raw flat bread and I made a raw tomatoe sauce and added some artichokes - not raw - raw black olives and it was so very good. It wasn't too difficult to make. Just sprouted wheat berries and added some flax seeds with peppers, onions, basil, oregano and sea salt - spread it out and let it dry for most of the day and by evening I was eating raw pizza.

I have some rye berries, and some bean mixture sprouting for tomorrow. I am going to experiment some more.

Thanks for the suggestions on cravings

Namaste'
Mari

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables