Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

an odd question???
Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: May 05, 2012 01:43AM

I've been told that the raw foodist gets a bulk of their protein from a bulk of greens which i make sure i eat lots of... but... here comes the odd part of the question... well... uhm how to put this nicely... I've been noticing that on the way out they look almost like they did when they went in... so I'm wondering.... is my body getting any of the nutrients if they are coming out virually undigested???

I appreciate any feed back!!!

Love laugh and dream

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: an odd question???
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: May 05, 2012 01:12PM

If you eat bitter things, then stuff get darker. Nothing I eat comes out the same color. I think the olives I eat at dinner trigger the liver. But anyway, I supplememnt with 50% protein hemp powder (only a little) and Chlorella to boost protein intake. At first extra protein makes you have more gas but then your body adjusts. The extra protein is shaping me up and I am gaining weight but my body fat is shrinking. I train hard at full intensity but I don't do body building/weights. I think that exercise has a big role in total health/well being.

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2012 01:17PM by Panchito.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: May 05, 2012 03:09PM

I food is coming out the same color then it is being digested properly, you need to focus and getting the intestinal flora working

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: May 05, 2012 06:04PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I food is coming out the same color then it is
> being digested properly, you need to focus and
> getting the intestinal flora working

I am hoping you have mispoke here? If food is comming out the same color then something is wrong! As far as protien goes greens, (and I assume you might be talking leafy greens) are not real high in protien. Some vegies are though a few that come to mind are broccoli and cauliflower. I am not super knowledgeable in this area but I would make sure to eat some nuts, seeds especially Hemp and flax. Also make sure to have soaked and or sprouted grains, they are packed with protien. Also like Panchito said, Chlorella is also good and an amazing product in many ways. Wheatgrass is also good but not high in protien. All the things combined in moderate amounts should be plenty. Avacados are also good. I would be focused on why you are not digesting, first and foremost. Please keep in touch so we can see how you are doing. Also as Panchito said working out is sooooo important. It speeds healing x8. I am not a big proponent of enzymes even though the science is there. They are expensive and taking just two per meal is not much of a boost. If you can afford them then do so because you need them. I prefer to use herbs to stimulate digestine as I am sure you have read here many times. Get your body too start doing the job it is supposed to do. I am wondering if you have ever had your enzymes checked?

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: May 05, 2012 06:25PM

basically you won't get all the nutrient out of it if you just eat salads. You need to break down more cell walls to get everything. This is the secret to green smoothies and juice. Green smoothie breaks down almost every cell wall. so you can potentially get lots more nutrients. and yes, I too use hemp protein powder and hemp seeds for protein. even juice has the amino acids you need for protein!

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: May 06, 2012 04:01AM

We're talking same color and in some instances same shape and everything... almost totally undigested... on a regular basis... it was my understanding that leafy greens in a high abbundance were a good protein... I have added flax to my diet... but i feel like it makes things come out even faster... i've never gotten into the smoothie thing... well i suppose i did when i was eating sweet fruit... but i had to stop the fruit due to the acidity it was causing in me... oh my body is frustrating to me... anyone suggest a good Doc... that is understanding of the raw world... I'll go just about anywhere... tired of feeling like this...

love laugh and dream

Posted by: spectrum ()
Date: May 06, 2012 05:40AM

I am still a newbie myself, but green smoothies are really helpful.

I started drinking them with greens and fruit, but now I just blend the greens. I don't have one of the super powerful blenders, so I have to add a bit of water.

Latley I have just been drinking blended pea shoots. Fresh mint and spinach is also really good.

I read Victoria Boutenko's book on green smoothies and got hooked.

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: May 06, 2012 05:45AM

I seems that you're in a real pickle Luvyuu. Perhaps you could go see your regular Doctor about it! Initially, I wouldn't say anything about being a raw vegan, as this may open up bias etc. But see if your doc can offer another explanation for the phenomenon. It may be only a matter of not chewing enough, or a lack of the necessary stomach acids, which can be remedied I beleive. I hope all will work out for you Luvyuu.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: May 06, 2012 07:22AM

I agree with jalanutan - something should be happening in you intestines and bowels and it sounds like nothing is. It all sounds very, very wrong to me - I would stop listening to unqualified but well intentioned opinions and get it checked out with a dr. Even if you don't do what he/she suggests you might find a diagnosis that no one here would know/guess at.
I hope you fine the answer soon.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: May 06, 2012 11:00AM

Isnt romaine lettuce about 28% protein?

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: May 06, 2012 11:19AM

Did you have this problem pre raw?

Is it only green that do this or other food too?

Are you breaking the green down first by juicing or blending?
If not, try breaking it down before consumption and see what effect that has.
My waste is more of a darker green when I eat lots of green smoothies.
If you are worried, get it checked out.

As jalanutan advised, better not to mention raw.

Unfortunately, the typical response is for the eyes to glaze over and the dignosis is then made witout any further investigation!

FFx

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 06, 2012 03:49PM

Hi luvyuu! I agree with flipperjan and jalanutan: get your GI tract checked out! However, I think it's fine to mention that you are eating these greens raw--without going into too much detail--because keeping this secret could hamper diagnosis. Like, consider how diagnosis may go awry if the doc think these are cooked greens being excreted in their original form, right? Good luck.

Date: May 06, 2012 08:21PM

Surely get checked out by a professional the best you can find. Eeve if you decide to get help else where you will have the blood work to show what kind of challenge you have. Go on line to find a good doc. of any kind. I am in florida and there are a few here but not alot. Go to a local flyer/magazine at your health food store and look in the classifieds. And even ask people you see at these locations.
And surely don't participate in any drugs or alcohal, or for that matter anything food that is bad for you like ice cream.
You could get some blood work and then fax it to a practitioner in another state to get the help you prefer. And again I love the book called "PRESCRIPTION FOR NUTRITIONAL MEDICINE" this always helps me with how to proceed next and to know a bit about what is going on so you are better prepared when going to the doc.

I would also like to mention again LEAKY GUT SYNDROME people here have poo pooed me for saying this is a big problem but it is. I know many people myself that have or have had it. You wont get a diagnosis for it anywhere that I know of you will have to go off of symptoms look it up on the internet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2012 08:25PM by rzman10001.

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: May 06, 2012 11:40PM

Tam, I can see how witholding information would harbour an accurate diagnosis. Moreover, if you know your Doc well enough, and you feel that that sort of info wouldn't create a bias, then go for it.

But, if you don't know the Doc from a dehydrated goanna grinning smiley, then perhaps a compromise would be to say that you eat a lot of salads, and then gauge their response. If there's no hint of a bias, then full disclosure would be appropriate.

What does yus say to that idea???

Cheers, jalan x

Posted by: spectrum ()
Date: May 07, 2012 01:43PM

I was talking to a lady a few weeks ago about raw food. She was a stranger, but opened up and told me her naturopath doctor diagnosed her with leaky gut syndrome. He was told to follow an alkaline diet to improve and it has worked for her.

Date: May 07, 2012 06:44PM

Yes be careful what you tell your doctor about your diet, I agree. He will get all he needs with the blood work. Once you tell certain doctors that you are a rawfoodist it's like telling them you are a heroin user! freaking morons. Sorry about the negative comments but they relly don't know much about how the G.I. tract works or how to heal it. If you mention Leaky Gut then you are a total wacko lol. just kidding. I have asked some of the "best" Gastroenterologist's in S. Florida and they usually say yea I have herd of it, or a no. Then I proceed to explain it to them in simple terms, just incase they have not really heard of it. Ok I better stop so as not to hurt the "Delicate Genius's" ego Im thinking. The fact is these are the worst of the proffession. The most important aspect of keeping the body healthy and they know nothing about how to heal it. Ok I am venting now and probably not doing any good. If I want to be a drug addict then I will go to a doctor. If I need surgery then I will see a doctor but other than that I absolutely hate what they stand for. It's just a shame that there is so much bussiness out there for them, It's an evil nessesity. I actually feel sorry for them and would never want to be one, NEVER!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 08, 2012 12:27PM

Hmmmm, my doctor isn't the Face of Evil you are describing, rzman smiling smiley

jalanutan, that was my meaning--being frank will give the doctor a clear idea of where to look for the problem, say, upper GI tract, without luvyuu having to make a philosophical explanation for her lifestyle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables